Himdlister

Rate this topic

marcnet

Okay, I know someone has already done a listing program. So I decided to continue and finish the one I was working on. And this is its first release. Im in the process of starting a nice guide with pretty pictures and everything. However, until that is finished, here is a short guide in plain text:

1) Start the program

2) Connect HIMD device with a HIMD disc to PC. Make sure SonicStage isnt running and press "Get Tracks"

3) Select how you would like to order the tracks in the output listing file. The top sorting option has highest priority, the second has the next priority and the last has the lowest priority.

4) Select how each track in the listing file will be presented. You have up 21 components to do this. Remeber that carriage returns are NOT placed in the listing file by default, so it might be a good idea to use <CRLF> or <CR> as you last option if you want carriage returns.

4b) If you previously have saved a format configuration (see step 6) then press "load format" and select the .hfc file.

5) If you select a track in the track list then the example at the bottom of HIMDLister will show you the selected track in the selected format.

6) If you wish, you can save the format configuration for re-loading in the future. The format of these configuration (.hfc) files are pure binary, so dont go an edit them. If you do then dont complain my program crashes!

7) Press "Export List" to create the list fle.

Ive missed some things out, such as the Amount/Custom fields and the "case sensative" options. I hope the functionality of those options is obvious. I will include them in my fancy guide that I will get round to writing at some point.

You want to download and try it? Well here are some links.

A message board has been created on my site for the program:

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdlister/

And the program itself (version 0.04) is here:

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdlister004.zip

Marcnet,

I have downloaded your program, but it seems to reconize only few of the tracks present in the disk. Any Idea?

Cheers

Here the same problem, only 72 tracks are recognised but there are over 200 tracks on the disc.

p.s. this program: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7944 does a better job and recognises all tracks.

Okay, im working on it. For some reason I cannot reproduce this problem with my own HIMD collection so ive asked someone to email me the HMA files (except the really really big one) from a HIMD disc that causes this problem. I was wondering if one or more other people could do the same..... PM me if your willing to help

Also, any other ideas about how I could improve the progam?

I've tried it and have the same problem as well.

EDIT:

There. Ive worked on it. Version 0.03 is available here:

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdlister003.zip

Okay, im working on it. For some reason I cannot reproduce this problem with my own HIMD collection so ive asked someone to email me the HMA files (except the really really big one) from a HIMD disc that causes this problem. I was wondering if one or more other people could do the same..... PM me if your willing to help

Also, any other ideas about how I could improve the progam?

EDIT:

There. Ive worked on it. Version 0.03 is available here:

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/himdlister003.zip

Problem solved here!

Mmm, version 0.03 doesn't seem to work at all for me (Windows 2000) - I've got a very full 1GB Hi-SP disk - nearly 8 hours worth, and it just sits there and hangs...

Also, sorry to be a bit picky, Marc, but it should be "Case Sensitive", rather than Sensative...

(not that it matters of course)... rolleyes.gif

Hi,

The himdlister is great! biggrin.gif Multiple options are super, but I would like to see the option of just listing the groups (albums) on a HiMD ONCE, so I can paste that list into my labelling program. If I select 'group' from the first format dropdown box, I get a listing with x times the Group name (where x is the number of tracks in a group).

Is it possible to create such an option?

Thanks!

wink.gif elsen029

Yup. I can do that for version 0.04

And you only needed to ask once. I do read this forum as often as I read my own web site message boards. Thanks. smile.gif

Hi,

The himdlister is great!   biggrin.gif Multiple options are super, but I would like to see the option of just listing the groups (albums) on a HiMD ONCE, so I can paste that list into my labelling program. If I select 'group' from the first format dropdown box, I get a listing with x times the Group name (where x is the number of tracks in a group).

Is it possible to create such an option?

Thanks!

wink.gif  elsen029

Sorry, but I found a little bug. When a track is longer than 1 hour (whole CD's as 1 track) the calculation of the track-durating goes wrong. This goes ALWAYS wrong. Some examples:

1h:14m:3614s

1h:15m:3630s

1h:17m:3611s

1h:17m:3641s

1h:17m:3648s

1h:19m:3636s

1h:19m:3642s

1h:20m:3651s

Also most of the durations of a track in Hi-MD-lister are 1 second more that SonicStage says. This is not so serious but has probably something to do with rounding the seconds.

Dont be sorry smile.gif Ill get it fixed in 0.04

The rounding issue.... I dont know - ill have to look in more detail... But, for example - 3 minutes 14 seconds 300 milliseconds ... I call that 3 minutes 15 seconds and sonicstage may call it 3 minutes 14 seconds..... which would you prefer?

Sorry, but I found a little bug. When a track is longer than 1 hour (whole CD's as 1 track) the calculation of the track-durating goes wrong. This goes ALWAYS wrong. Some examples:

1h:14m:3614s

1h:15m:3630s

1h:17m:3611s

1h:17m:3641s

1h:17m:3648s

1h:19m:3636s

1h:20m:3651s

Also most of the durations of a track in Hi-MD-lister are 1 second more that SonicStage sais. This is not so serious but has probably something to do with rounding the seconds.

Dont be sorry smile.gif  Ill get it fixed in 0.04

The rounding issue....  I dont know - ill have to look in more detail...  But, for example -  3 minutes 14 seconds 300 milliseconds ...  I call that 3 minutes 15 seconds and sonicstage may call it 3 minutes 14 seconds..... which would you prefer?

According to a commonly used convention (at least in physics, my work), up to 499 milliseconds one should round down, from 500 milliseconds up one should round up. smile.gif

Today I created some testscript in PHP that uses Hi-MD Lister exported textfile as an input to nicely represent what is on the Hi-MD-disc.

The following example is the current contents of my 1 GB disc that I use daily when travelling by bus and train:

http://www.mdcenter.nl/test/himdlister/

That's pretty slick. Import that information into a MySQL DB and you've just created a simple cataloging program. Get some barcodes and you've got yourself a media library... Neat.

Sounds like a great program. But I have one, maybe stupid, question. Does it works with a normal NetMD (JE780)? I couldn't find it anywhere and I can't test it my self at the moment.

Sadly no, It reads one of the *.hma files on the Hi-MD disc which contains the structure of the audio-directory in text-format. Sadly no such files are on a NetMD disc. Also a NetMD disc isn't available via Windows-explorer as a file that you can access.

New version 0.04.

Download:

Changes:

* Track lengths calculation improved.

* Added "Track length rounding" option. If a track length has a fractional part that is over 0.500 seconds then the track length is added by one second. SonicStage dosn't seem to do this so turn this option off for the track lengths to match what SonicStage does.

* Corrected spelling of "Sensitive"

* New group listing mode. Only track groups are listed in this mode. Tracks that are not in a group are not included in the group length calculations.

New version 0.04.

Download:

Changes:

* Track lengths calculation improved.

* Added "Track length rounding" option. If a track length has a fractional part that is over 0.500 seconds then the track length is added by one second. SonicStage dosn't seem to do this so turn this option off for the track lengths to match what SonicStage does.

* Corrected spelling of "Sensitive"

* New group listing mode. Only track groups are listed in this mode. Tracks that are not in a group are not included in the group length calculations.

Tested it: bug with tracks longer than an hour fixed!

Added a link to your project on:

http://www.mdcenter.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?t=807

Can I ask you a question?

In my HiMD-Xtract I didn't find out how you can see that a track has no name yet (an analog recording for instance). So when an unnamed track is put in front of other tracks, tracknames will shift and end up with the wrong track.

Apparently your program successfully identifies unnamed tracks.

Edit: on second thought, I think it doesn't, but if it does...

Would you be so kind as to tell me where that information is stored, so I can fix my program?

Thanx,

fish

Edited by fishstyc

Easy as eating pie:

Starting at position 0x8050 you have all sorts of information for each track. Each entry is 80 bytes big.

Offset 8 and 9 (16 bit value) describe the position of the track name

Offset 10 and 11 (16 bit value) describe the position of the artist name

Offset 12 and 13 (16 bit value) describe the position of the album name

If any tracks have "00 00" for any of these fields then that track does not contain that attribute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I finally tried Hi-MD Lister 0.4. Nice software, thanks for sharing it.

I would like to point out something that looks like a really small bug. When I export the text list (I ask to list only groups), the 5th group is listed again and again at the end of the text file for about 50-60 times. Thus there are about 50-60 exceeding lines, that are just a repeated clone of the 5th line of the list. It is not really a problem, because with Notepad I can edit the file and delete those exceeding lines. However, I just wanted to let you know this fact in case you plan in future to build a new version of the lister.

Hello.

I finally tried Hi-MD Lister 0.4. Nice software, thanks for sharing it.

I would like to point out something that looks like a really small bug. When I export the text list (I ask to list only groups), the 5th group is listed again and again at the end of the text file for about 50-60 times. Thus there are about 50-60 exceeding lines, that are just a repeated clone of the 5th line of the list. It is not really a problem, because with Notepad I can edit the file and delete those exceeding lines. However, I just wanted to let you know this fact in case you plan in future to build a new version of the lister.

Now that I've read this: I experienced the same and thought I did something wrong here... So Corien is not the only one bugged by this.

Now that I've read this: I experienced the same and thought I did something wrong here... So Corien is not the only one bugged by this.

My bad. It is a bug. Ill get it fixed. smile.gif

Also, Im putting HIMDLister into HIMDRenderer, so there will be a HIMDRenderer release soon and possibily no HIMDLister release.

• 2 months later...

Hi there --mostly it works --but just a little niggle

Could you have an option to list the track number OF THE GROUP as well / instead of the entre number of tracks on the MD (especially for 1GB discs where you might in HI-SP mode have 7 or 8 CD's on a disc (more if you are using lower bit rates

nice work otherwise and it's easy to get into a spreadsheet --

Don't forget the CR or CRLF at the end of each line !!!!!

Cheers

-K

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I find it's handy for printing out cover sheets of the tracks on your Hi-MD disks, rather than trying to guess what's on them - easy to forget the contents if they've been lying in a drawer for several months... or you could store track lists in an excel or word document to catalogue your collection or download it to your favourite PDA and so on.. or show the list off to your friends to compare notes... the list of applications is (almost) endless...

• 2 months later...
cool.gif First post on this forum, so hiya! I've been using MD players/recorders since they were $800 and made of metal. But never have I been able to print out a label. Great program, but how do you use it? It won't save anything to a text file(it's just empty.) What am I doing wrong?

Use the 16 or so selection boxes to select what you want each track of the listing to contain. If you select a track in the actual track list then an example of what the track list will look like will be displayed at the bottom of the window.

Remeber to select 'CRLF' for the last option you choose, otherwise all tracks will be on one line!

Use the 16 or so selection boxes to select what you want each track of the listing to contain. If you select a track in the actual track list then an example of what the track list will look like will be displayed at the bottom of the window.

Remeber to select 'CRLF' for the last option you choose, otherwise all tracks will be on one line!

Thanks i finally figured it out! smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this utility, Marc...I am sooooo easily amused by cool stuff like this... :D

After almost a year, I just started using Himdlister to put my numerous MD song lists into a database on my Palm PDA, using SmartList To Go (www.dataviz.com). It works fabulously...sortable by any field to find your tunes, albums, etc.

1. Created an output text document for each Disc# in Himdlister with title, artist and album...with a -tab- in between each.

2. Created a new Smartlist (database) on my desktop Smartlist To Go application, with four fields...i.e. the above 3, plus Disc#.

3. Set the default value for the Disc# field to whichever disc # I am importing.

4. Import each tab-delimited text file one at a time...map the fields...it imports your text file and automatically assigns the correct disc # based on the default # you set for that import job.

5. Repeat for any new discs you record.

...oh, I forgot: whoooo-hoooo!

Edited by smkranz