Analog Transfer Failure With Ss 2.3 :(

Rate this topic

lkawamot

OK... so my community wind ensemble had a 2 day concert weekend (of which I am a performing member). I recorded both concerts with my new NH900 and new mic... I was soooo excited.

Got home, and started transferring the recordings via SS 2.3. My last conversation with people on here seemed to imply that 1) SS 2.3 was more stable and people had not yet encountered trashed transfers; 2) even if SS trashed the transfer that I should still be able to play it back via USB and, using Total Recorder, do a real time digital capture.

Unfortunately, about a third of both Sat and Sun recordings got trashed. The recordings were broken up into several tracks (every time there were 2 sec chunks of 0db the frickin' recorder put track marks... another point I won't get started on for now...) so something like 20 tracks between 2 discs were now marked as "Not Playable" on the HiMD unit and did not transfer into my library in SS.

So... lesson learned... SS 2.3 still has trashing of transfer... AND once the tracks are trashed, one can NOT play them off the recorder either. So, do as previously stated -- realtime capture with Total Recorder FIRST, then transfer via SS.

Luckily, I had concurrently run my MZ-R55 just in case I ran into problems. I was able to analog real-time copy from the non-PCM recordings made with the R55.

Anybodyelse have problems with SS 2.3?

BTW, what's difference in Sound Quality between a real-time capture via Total Recorder and transfer via SS?

*grrrrr* my purchase of the NH900 was supposed to simplify my recording and burning process AND give me uncompressed recordings... 50% is NOT passing in my gradebook...

Sorry to read about your files.

One question, what do you mean "so something like 20 tracks between 2 discs were now marked as "Not Playable" on the HiMD unit and did not transfer into my library in SS."?

I have never had any problems with SS transferring those tracks of silence that are occasionally automatically entered due to low recording level. SS wouldn't transfer them at all? Or you told it not to transfer those tracks?

Sorry again but I would like to find out more about the problem you had.

Unfortunately, about a third of both Sat and Sun recordings got trashed.  The recordings were broken up into several tracks (every time there were 2 sec chunks of 0db the frickin' recorder put track marks...

Just a note, 0 dB is pretty loud. In fact, it's the loudest you can get on a digital medium. I don't know the exact treshold of Sony's MD recorders, but I guess the recorder counts something like -30 dB as "silent" or maybe even -60 dB.

Ontopic: I own a NetMD, so digital uploading is not an issue for me, but if I'd own a Hi-MD I think I'll always make an analog backup copy before uploading. I don't trust SonicStage in anything dry.gif

[attachmentid=39]

Just a note, 0 dB is pretty loud. In fact, it's the loudest you can get on a digital medium. I don't know the exact treshold of Sony's MD recorders, but I guess the recorder counts something like -30 dB as "silent" or maybe even -60 dB.

bug80: Yeah, my mistake... I meant silence, not 0db... oops...

mrsoul: SS wouldn't transfer 20 or so tracks. They are not tracks of silence entered by the recorder... the recorder automatically creates track marks when it detects greater than 2 seconds of "Silence" (note, I mistakenly said 0db originally, but meant silence). So my concert was broken up into several dozen tracks by the recorder automatically and several of the tracks were simply not transferred to the PC, but now corrupted on the disc and no longer play. In essence, the original recording is now completely inaccessible to me.

On to some interesting bit of info... I talked with Sony Product Support. The lady helping went through a few questions to try to understand my problem. Then she asked me what kind of system are you running on? I said "Windows XP SP1"... she asked what brand PC? to which I replied "I build my own PCs"

..."our software is not supported on custom built PCs"...

WTF?!?!?!??

After the next few minutes, this is what I ended up with:

1. SS is not supported on custom built PCs so there is no guarantee on whether or not the music files would transfer to my PC successfully.

2. Try installing SS on my DELL system at work and try to transfer my original recordings again.

3. If the transfer on my DELL system fails, then my disc is most likely corrupted (persumably from using SS with a custom built PC) and can not be recovered, even if I send my discs into Sony.

So ... my question now (to the forum):

How many of you guys have had an anlog recording file transfer via SS 2.3 end up in the "zombie" state (not playable on the disc, and not transferred to PC) while using a DELL, HP, GATEWAY, etc brandname PC?

Could you list out your operating system and about how often this condition occurs? I'd prefer people that have NOT modified their systems at all from the original setup (other than installing SS). I want to be able to see if it is like she said, "a custom built PC doesn't recognize the files properly" situation.

*grrr*

*grrr*

Looks like she's right, though... the attachment is from page 108 of our handy dandy user manual...

post-5297-1107216982.jpg

Edited by lkawamot

BE CAREFUL in what you try to transfer on the Dell if you care at all about having the concert on the disc. If you try to upload tracks you have already uploaded, Sonic Stage may well delete them. It's vindictive that way.

You know... I thought so... and I mentioned this to the tech support person. She assured me that SS would NOT since it would recognize that the computer was different. This seemed to be backwards from a DRM perspective -- but what do I know? I don't even know how to build a computer as well as DELL, GATEWAY, etc...

*sigh* This just gives me more motivation to ty to bypass SS completely...

Does anybodyelse think it's total BS for Sony to have printed in their manual that the software is not supported on anything but brand name PCs?

Edited by lkawamot

How many of you guys have had an anlog recording file transfer via SS 2.3 end up in the "zombie" state ..?

Just a niggling fact here. That's DIGITAL transfer using SS, not analogue.

The difference between digital transfer using SS and Total Recorder should be naught, technically. TR leaves merging tracks &c. up to the user, though.

And lastly - all things considered, having the HiMD make track marks automatically actually works to your advantage even when you don't want it to do so.

If your upload is completely successful, you can quite easily merge the tracks within SS, making this a total non-issue if you only use the HiMD as your recording medium.

If your upload fails in parts, you lose less of the complete recording. If it were recording in all one large track, you would lose the entire thing from beginning to end.

If you do digital backups first, you can use the successful SS tracks and merge them with the backup copy in the missing parts, or simply use the backup as your editing copy. Back up your backup first, of course.

Thank you for the heads-up.

Could you list out your operating system and about how often this condition occurs?

I think this is a great idea. THIS thread was almost there but I'd like to see a sticky that listed success and failures and that also listed computer spec, O/S, background tasks etc

Edited by applicationform

Hi there all,

Yes, I have had two problems relating to this discussion. I have to thank my lucky stars that it was not so major as yours lkawamot, but still worrying all the same...

PROBLEM 1: Using my single transfer right for dialogue recording I had made (on SS2.3), I found that several short tracks (5-10 second long) did not transfer and came up on an error report after the rest of the 100 or so tracks were transfered. They were not silence but regular dialogue. And, yes, I also found that these non-transferrable tracks were also not playable back on my NH1.

PROBLEM 2: Now with several tracks down, I started to convert to WAV files using the Wave converter. But about 1 in 10-20 tracks would stop at 99% conversion of that particular track and would freeze the rest of the block conversion. This was less of a problem since it seems that no sound was lost. It just added to the inconvenience of hunting down the blocking tracking and then converting the rest.

I'm not sure whether I had anything to do with these errors - I certainly would like to know so that I can guard against greater losses.

I guess I also looking for answers and preventative measures so that I don't loose that BIG recording.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

BE CAREFUL in what you try to transfer on the Dell if you care at all about having the concert on the disc. If you try to upload tracks you have already uploaded, Sonic Stage may well delete them. It's vindictive that way.

You know... I thought so... and I mentioned this to the tech support person.  She assured me that SS would NOT since it would recognize that the computer was different.  This seemed to be backwards from a DRM perspective -- but what do I know?

Perhaps the following can help in understanding if your tracks are going to be deleted from MD by SS. I've noticed that when browsing the tracks on MD from within SS, you can see two kinds of small icons (the light blue ones with two musical notes within - these icons are on the left of each track name): (1) a square icon; (2) a square icon but with a triangle on its left, such that it looks like a small arrow pointing left. The tracks with such an "arrow" icon are those that can be uploaded - you will see that after the upload these icons are no more arrows, but become square ones. If you try uploading a track with square icon (no arrow), then it will be deleted from the MD. At least, this is what I noticed in my system.

Edited by corien

Just a niggling fact here.  That's DIGITAL transfer using SS, not analogue.

dex: Ahh yes... another mistake on my part... I meant "digital transfer of an analog recording using SS" ... gosh, this can get kind of confusing... huh?

kurisu: what OS is your custom Athlon 64 system? Glad to hear that you're not having any problems with SS 2.3. This gives me hope...

corien: yeah, I figured that out... and I noticed that I won't be able to transfer the tracks to my DELL machine.

topaz: what OS is your setup? what brand PC are you using or is it a custom built system?

This is all definitely interesting stuff... thanks all for your input

topaz: what OS is your setup?  what brand PC are you using or is it a custom built system?

Hi lkawamot,

I'm using just plain ole Windows XP that was pre-installed on my Sony TR1 laptop I purchased last year. I still don't think I was doing anything particualrly wrong in my transfer but if you or anyone else have any suggestions, I think we'd all be grateful.

Neues System nach 5 Sekunden Netz ,2 Würmer, das nenne Ich Speed

Heute erlebt. Installquellen sauber. Freenetzugang mit Modem,

Startseite Freenet die aber keiner zu Gesicht bekam da der Rechner

vorher in die Knie ging.

Transl: "" New System being compromised 5 Seconds after connecting

to the internet, 2 worms - I call that fast...

Experienced that today. Install sources are clean. Internet connection via modem,

ISP-Startpage should come up, never came, since the machine went down first...""

Why do I quote that?

Simple, as noone else had problems with SS2.3, I wouldn't rule out the existence of malware on the machine, that interferes with SonicStage.

Plus, as the quote shows, any unpatched Windows XP/XP-SP1 is dead in seconds...

So, remember: Don't connect a Windows box to the internet.

Why do I quote that?

Simple, as noone else had problems with SS2.3, I wouldn't rule out the existence of malware on the machine, that interferes with SonicStage.

Plus, as the quote shows, any unpatched Windows XP/XP-SP1 is dead in seconds...

So, remember: Don't connect a Windows box to the internet.

jadeclaw: excellent point. I don't think this is the case for my scenario, though. I'm pretty good about trying to keep a clean system. I've got a current version of Norton AntiVirus with live-update regularly updating it. Also, I have Spybot and Adaware which I run regularly on my system. Finally, I have BHO Demon to check for malicious BHOs.

dex: When I get home, I'm gonna examine your test scenario's and compare our setups to see if there's something that stands out as a possible trouble spot for my machine. Just from a quick glance, it looks like your system and my system are pretty similar... and sounds like you had a heavier system load than I did when I was transferring.

Off the top of my head:

AMD Athlon 2500+, 512MB RAM, DVD-RAM drive (LiteOn??), Sony DRU-510, SB Audigy something or another with LiveDrive, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, MAXTOR 250GB?, IBM Deskstar 80GB?

Windows XP SP1 plus additional patches, typically running SS 2.3, Norton AntiVirus, BHO Demon, and a few other background apps...

I had just rebooted my machine when I started the huge amount of transfers. I wanted to be sure my machine was not "stale" when I ran SS. HOWEVER, the problem first occured on my 2nd of 3 discs. We had 2 intermissions and I swapped discs during each to be sure I had enough room to record each set. Perhaps I should've rebooted after each disc transfer?

One final oddity... I don't know if others had a similar experience... I mentioned that I had lost transfers from 2 of my discs. On my first occurance, the transfer failed on the last several dozen tracks -- that is, once it happened on one track, it continued to fail transferring the rest of the disc. HOWEVER, on the 2nd disc which had this problem SS managed to successfully transfer the final track. So it failed on several dozen towards the end of the disc, but the final track (about 20 seconds in length) was transferred.

This indicates, that SS doesn't end up in a jacked up state forever... perhaps something unique about those tracks causes the failure?

OK.. I better actually get back to work...

Edited by lkawamot