Sonic Stage 2.0-->2.3

Rate this topic

lyceemoliere

I have found the download to upgrade from SS 2.0 to 2.3.

1-Should I do this? Any cautionary words?

2-It suggests that I back uplibrary first and cautions me re protecting other programs that might be using some of the same database. I am still using real player and want to download the ss2.3 without corrupting my realplayer data base. Ant tips for this?

3-I also see the download for the conversion tool. Any precautions there?

4-Is this (conversion tool) the tool that I need to convert some of my open mg files (previously culled from real rhapsody and itunes) and stored now with my real player system?

I have found the download to upgrade from SS 2.0 to 2.3.

1-Should I do this?  Any cautionary words?

2-It suggests that I back uplibrary first and cautions me re protecting other programs that might be using some of the same database.  I am still using real player and want to download the ss2.3 without corrupting my realplayer data base.  Ant tips for this?

3-I also see the download for the conversion tool.  Any precautions there? 

4-Is this (conversion tool) the tool that I need to convert some of my open mg files (previously culled from real rhapsody and itunes) and stored now with my real player system?

1 - Yes, you should. Keep readin for the cautionary words.

2 - Yes, you should back up your dB first. I can't give any information regarding Realplayer, though, as I have never used it with a netMD [since I own a HiMD, and RP does not support HiMD yet]

3 - No precautions that I can suggest for the conversion tool. As it does not install anything that changes core OpenMG or SS modules, I would not worry about installing it. Also, I have never experienced any problems with the converter, myself.

4 - The conversion tool is for converting tracks uploaded from HiMD recordings to WAV files, so no, this is not for updating your OpentMG tracks. There is a utility for this that is included with SonicStage, however. I cannot attest to its function or reliability as I have never had a need to use it.

1 - Yes, you should.  Keep readin for the cautionary words.

2 - Yes, you should back up your dB first.  I can't give any information regarding Realplayer, though, as I have never used it with a netMD [since I own a HiMD, and RP does not support HiMD yet]

3 - No precautions that I can suggest for the conversion tool.  As it does not install anything that changes core OpenMG or SS modules, I would not worry about installing it.  Also, I have never experienced any problems with the converter, myself.

4 - The conversion tool is for converting tracks uploaded from HiMD recordings to WAV files, so no, this is not for updating your OpentMG tracks.  There is a utility for this that is included with SonicStage, however.  I cannot attest to its function or reliability as I have never had a need to use it.

Thanks so much for this advice. I am most appreciative. Do you have any thoughts on how one can import the songs that seem to be stored in a file labelled open mg. They originated on realshapsody and were burned to cd then transferred to my realplayer database.

By the way, is there a way to just backup my (small) database on sonic stage directly to the himd as data? Maybe that way I would not place my realplayer database at risk when I install ss2.3. What folder or folders would I need to store as data in order to do this?

Thanks so much for this advice.  I am most appreciative.  Do you have any thoughts on how one can import the songs that seem to be stored in a file labelled open mg.  They originated on realshapsody and were burned to cd then transferred to my realplayer database.

By the way, is there a way to just backup my (small) database on sonic stage directly to the himd as data?  Maybe that way I would not place my realplayer database at risk when I install ss2.3.  What folder or folders would I need to store as data in order to do this?

You can back the database up using the SonicStage Backup utility, which can be accessed from SS itself. The backup would be best done to the hard disc, then split up to CDRs or DVDRs.

Backing up to the HiMD itself would be extremely slow and wasteful of the discs. CD and DVD blanks are much, much cheaper, and much, much faster.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to import the OpenMG tracks from Real's software.

You can back the database up using the SonicStage Backup utility, which can be accessed from SS itself.  The backup would be best done to the hard disc, then split up to CDRs or DVDRs. 

Backing up to the HiMD itself would be extremely slow and wasteful of the discs.  CD and DVD blanks are much, much cheaper, and much, much faster.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to import the OpenMG tracks from Real's software.

Thanks again. The open mg files are not actually part of real player. The tracks that were stored in other folders did import nicely but the tracks in this folder for some reason did not transfer.

If I just transferred my very small database to the himd discs (about 30 songs) would this work to save them? or would the newly installed ss2.3 not let me upload them? [ I am trying not to compromise my real player db which is much larger)

Edited by lyceemoliere

can u give me the link where u found that upgrade-program?  i mean sonyc stage

Sorry- am not good at links but it is on the sony site in the support for minidisc players. When you ask a question on that site re sonic stage upgrade, it automatically generates a list of questions and one of these directs you to the sonic stage upgrade. I also suspect that the specific link is elsewhere on this site.

Hello.

I was in the same situation of lyceemoliere, because I've changed my hard disk. So, I've installed SS2.0 (that came with my Hi-MD); right after, I've upgraded to SS2.3 with the link given by kurisu. After that, I've downloaded and installed the Wave Conversion Tool, but when I start it it says that I must have SS2.1 (or better) installed and refuses to work! How to make the WCT that I've got SS2.3 installed?

Thanks

corien

EDIT: as a side note, if I download the WCT from here, it installs but it gives the above mentioned problem when trying to run it. Otherwise, if I download the WCT from here, it even refuses to install because it says that SS2.1 or better is necessary to continue the installation. wacko.gif

Edited by corien

I would suggest using Marcnet's tool instead, to be honest. Why use Sony's?

Just because I used the WCT with my old hard disk (same OS, Win2k pro). I would like to restore my previous situation - and to understand why a software installer doesn't understand that SS2.3 in properly installed.

The only difference with my previous situation is that in the old hard disk I installed also SS2.1 before SS2.3. Will it be enough to uninstall SS2.3 and install again SS2.0, SS2.1, and SS2.3 in sequence instead of directly upgrading to SS2.3 from SS2.0?

Hello.

I was in the same situation of lyceemoliere, because I've changed my hard disk. So, I've installed SS2.0 (that came with my Hi-MD); right after, I've upgraded to SS2.3 with the link given by kurisu. After that, I've downloaded and installed the Wave Conversion Tool, but when I start it it says that I must have SS2.1 (or better) installed and refuses to work! How to make the WCT that I've got SS2.3 installed?

Thanks

corien

EDIT: as a side note, if I download the WCT from here, it installs but it gives the above mentioned problem when trying to run it. Otherwise, if I download the WCT from here, it even refuses to install because it says that SS2.1 or better is necessary to continue the installation.  wacko.gif

Problem solved! biggrin.gif

I solved it in this way.

1) Uninstall the WCT.

2) Uninstall SS2.3

3) Re-install SS2.0 that came on CD with my Hi-MD

4) Internet upgrade to SS2.1

5) Install the WCT

6) Upgrade to SS2.3 with the link given by kurisu

Now everything seems to work fine!

Edited by corien

Problem solved!  biggrin.gif

I solved it in this way.

1) Uninstall the WCT.

2) Uninstall SS2.3

3) Re-install SS2.0 that came on CD with my Hi-MD

4) Internet upgrade to SS2.1

5) Install the WCT

6) Upgrade to SS2.3 with the link given by kurisu

Now everything seems to work fine!

It's really odd that this has been necessary.

I just reinstalled my entire system. When putting SS back on, I used the 2.3 web installer, then installed the newer version of Simple Burner found on the fora, then the Wave Converter from Sony.

All of them work. No uninstalls needed, no reinstalls, nothing odd going on.

I don't understand why different people have such completely different experiences with this. The sources, ultimately, are the same - so why should it make any difference?

It's really odd that this has been necessary.

I just reinstalled my entire system.  When putting SS back on, I used the 2.3 web installer, then installed the newer version of Simple Burner found on the fora, then the Wave Converter from Sony. 

All of them work.  No uninstalls needed, no reinstalls, nothing odd going on. 

I don't understand why different people have such completely different experiences with this.  The sources, ultimately, are the same - so why should it make any difference?

Could it be because my SS2.0 is European (Italian) edition?

EDIT: also the online upgrade to SS2.1 is European edition.

Edited by corien