1GB Hi-MD Recording:access Error And Silent Tracks

Rate this topic

xispe

I had this problem. MH-600D with 5 second gaps on 256kbit tracks in the last third of HI-MDs. The problem occurred regardless of whether the disk was new and just written on, or old or hadn't been written on for six months.

Sony USA support personnel tried to be be helpful, but they didn't have the problem in their support database, and could only give very formal, menu driven, responses. I asked about whether they shared info globally and they said no.

I think the problem is due to the magnetic read/write head being faulty, and not due to the write laser being faulty, or the disk being faulty.

My guess is that the magnetic read/write head is dirty.

As I understand it, the laser light heats a spot on one side of the disk so that the magnetic head can place a magnetic field on the other side; the laser and the magnetic head are used for writing data; while only the magnetic head is used for reading data.

Therefore the problem is with the magnetics and not the optics.. I had this problem reading the end part of a disk which hadn't been written on for six months.

Mark Jones

As I understand it, the laser light heats a spot on one side of the disk so that the magnetic head can place a magnetic field on the other side; the laser and the magnetic head are used for writing data; while only the magnetic head is used for reading data.

Only the optical part is used for reading AFAIK.

You know, even though they are locked, lint sometimes get inside of my discs. Try using some of that tissue for camera lenses if you find anything that may be preventing the laser from reading. It has happened with pretty much every brand of disc I have. Memorex, Sony, Maxell, TDK, Fuji, Denon. Dirt doesn't respect names.

Sorry if this is obvious but how does one clean the lint from a MD? The covers on my disks don't slide down unless they're broken?

Sorry if this is obvious but how does one clean the lint from a MD?  The covers on my disks don't slide down unless they're broken?

Take something light and thin, I usually use a divder index tab on mine. Hold your MD so that the 'insert this end' is upwards, and the front of the MD facing you. Stick the divider tab or object into the groove on the right hand side, just above the metal slider. Push in, and lightly down. This is where the latch for the slider is, and you can now slide it open.

Edited by mcca6392

I did a big transfer of files to a 1 GB disc today.

At about 3/4 of the filled disc, my MZ-NH700 started doing hacking noises and

SonicStage eventually said it could not transfer any more files to the disc.

When looking on the surface of the disc, I noticed that the coating had come of

as a flake on the top side of the disc inside the cartridge.

When looking at the disc from a light source on the opposite side, a white spot

could be seen right through the disc.

user posted image

I dont know if these newer 1 GB discs are specially fragile, but as this disc had

been used several times and I had the MD player thrown around in my bag, could

the optical magnetical mount have damaged the disc surface due to extensive shock?

I have also seen in discussions that certain batch numbers might be erroneous

manufactured discs. This disc had this number: 4AAA191ME.

One other lesson in this, it's a good idea to save all the source material that would

be copied down to a minidisc also onto other backup media.

When copy stuff down to minidisc, I usually convert my mp3's first to WAV, then

save them on a DVDR so I can re-copy them to other discs if anything goes wrong

during the transfer.

I use to have the same problem with five 1gb discs in my mznh900. I didn't have that problem using "normal discs". So I sent the unit for an exchange. It will arrive in one week so I will record in the same 1gb discs and see what happen. I will post my results.

Sorry to tell you guys, but my mznh900 has arrived. I have tried the same discs and all of them works good. No more format error or silence gaps in the middle of tracks. No more problems reading or recording HIMD discs. Please note that this is just my case and it would be good to hear someone else whit this problem trying the "defective" discs in another units.

Good luck to you all

Sebastian

Sorry to tell you guys, but my mznh900 has arrived. I have tried the same discs and all of them works good. No more format error or silence gaps in the middle of tracks. No more problems reading or recording HIMD discs. Please note that this is just my case and it would be good to hear someone else whit this problem trying the "defective" discs in another units.

Good luck to you all

Sebastian

Hey, did you have to format the disc first? Or did it read the disc with the current data on it (ie. save the data)?

I was hoping Sonicstage 3.2 would recover a lost recording that tells me "cannot play" when trying to play it...but it won't play it or upload it.

I want to try out another player, but I don't have access to one...but if the new unit saved the data on your disc, maybe it will be helpful in my situation.

Let me know! Thanks.

-Derek-

I have to format the disc again. With the new unit I'm not getting errors that i use to get when formating a disc or when uploading songs to the pc. I have used the same discs. I think you should try another player.

Look, I asked a few people in here who has Mznh900 if they had problems with discs and the common answer was no. There are some people who has problems (like the ones posting in this topic) but I think that this is a problem with the units , not with the discs. My personal experience tells me that. So, try to check the discs in another recorder and let me know what happened.

• 1 month later...

I have this problem on a UK NH600

It worked fine till a few days ago

Copied over about 600 tracks, disc 1 done

Copied about 300 tracks to disc 2 - stalled so I tried formatting, blanking, cleaning the disc and player inside and out - nothing sad.gif

Then I popped in disc 1 and got "access error"

Ive had these discs for 6 months now and they start messing up sad.gif

Just get constant access errors with Hi-MDs now sad.gif

Anyone got any answers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

no español??

ok my english is not good so i hope you can understand

my HI-Md was working fine, someday i was recording some tracks and the error come out ACCES ERROR then i got FILE FORMAT ERROR and i cant format the minidisc in anyway so i buy a new minidisc of 1 GB and...

i got "Access Error" with MZ-NH600D

Here's how the error shows up:

The recorder will say it is recording with SonicStage 2.0 If I transfer one track, SonicStage will show it is transferred, however my player shows that it is recording and does so for about 5-6 minutes. After that time has elapsed, "Access Error" shows up on the display of the player and nothing is written to the minidisc.

i dont belive in the position of the divice affects the recording of something so

my theory is:

the Minidisc has a file management files in hidden one named "HI-MD.IND" and the folder "HMDHIFI" and these file could be damagned, can we remplace it from a Minidisc that works fine???

4AAA1308E is the serial of the disc that works for 4 months of playnig and recording

4AAA191ME is the serial of the brand new disc of the ACCESS ERROR

i dont really know if that is the problem so let me know if you discover something

i dont want to accept it but maaaaaaaaaybe our divices are damanged or something... but i had tried NET-MD discs and works fine so i dont think that is the divice

SONY.... help us!!!

You should try to update the outdated (and buggy) SonicStage 2.0 (3.4 is now out). Don't try to move/replace the hidden files, they contain DRMs and replacing them will not work. Try formatting in HiMD (even 80mn MD), if you can't, there's maybe a fault in the unit.

• 1 month later...

Hi folk!

I buy my MZ-NH900 in October 2004 and write first time one 1GB Hi-MD and after 6 month one more withou problem. On summer 2005 I have mechanical problem with disc loader and go to service, in service replace optical block. During Christmas sale I buy 10 1GB Hi-MD and get access error how many from us (writing after 700MB). I have problem only with 1GB Hi-MD old type MD write in Hi-MD mode without problem in any speed Hi-SP and PCM. 2 day ago I buy MZ-RH710 ($130)and retry Hi-MD discs with new unit, discs work properly in live recording (PCM) and with SS 3.4 352kb/s. And fortunately this disks properly read my NH900. I think bug exist in writing module (may be problem explain not complete erasing during write). Unfortanetely waranty fo my NH900 expired (in Russia only 1 year) and I can only use as player.

With kind regards yup.