HiMD Destination Codes

himdman

HI,

Today I had a chance to peek at some himd service manuals.

It seems the destination is controlled by code 113 in the service menu of the players.

I haven't had a chance to test them yet cause my unit is being repaired. Maybe we can bypass the euro volume cap this way.

EDIT by kurisu: Click here for info on how to enter service mode.

Enter these values at code 113 and press pause to save.

MZ-NH900

US 21

Canadian/Australian 41

Europe/UK A1

Hong kong/Taiwan 25

MZ-NH1

US/Australian 01

Europe/UK 81

Hong Kong/Taiwan 05

MZ-NH600

Europe/UK A0

E (??) 25

MZ-NH700

US - (Not a US model??)

Canadian/Australian 20

Europe/UK A0

Hong Kong/Korean 25

E91/Mexican 20

MZ-NHF800

US 50

Canadian/Australian 30

Europe/UK B0

Hong Kong/Korean 34

E91/Mexican -

Hope these are helpfull....... Let me know

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

biggrin.gif i've tried it on my nh700. I have a euro capped version.

I set it to Hong Kong / Korean (25)

I notice some difference in the sound, i raised the volume up to the max and before there was almost no change in sound from 25 to 30, but now the volume raises constantly up to 30 and at 30 things are really loud! (So loud that my headphones started to make weird vibration noises... sad.gif )

So the good news is that i've kind of damaged my headphones with this! biggrin.gif

Now my nh700 is as loud as my r70 biggrin.gif

Tomorrow i'm going to check if on my car the volume is higher using the homemade line-in of my sony head-unit tongue.gif

Thank you!

For all the others: test it!

The code 113 is under the MANUAL section.

I'm willing to give it a try.i own a mz-nh900 unit in his european version and i'm quite unsatisfied with the output volume when i'm walking down the streets of south-spain. you know it's kinda noisy here wink.gif

all people who are visiting me are shocked when we went to bars to take some welcome drink and the local people aren't hesitating to shout eachother though in a friendly kind of way but i'm just lack of a little more output from my unit.

BUT...

i'm still waiting that one experienced user from this forum is giving it a try before me or at least can taking me some doubts i still have about entering in the service mode.i will read again that thread about it. i'm just to curious...only afraid of that himdman have really honest intentions. sorry for saying that himdman ...

so, anyone ?

p.s. isn't it still impossible to save changed values in service mode ?...will have to read that thread again, i think.

heh, great. seems that someone there just heard my pray. hi xispe biggrin.gif

Edited by Philgood

...so i just entered in service mode. got down to manual and into the 111 and it started to count up...what next ?

i'm still trying out to find the right navigation key combis.sorry, could someone here assist me a little ?

well, just got to that site of aoix and i'm reading through it...hold

Edited by Philgood

just get stuck as soon as i entered some value because its changing constantly. how can i change that value for 113 ?

------------------------------------------------------------------

well, finally i got managed to do the hack but i couldn't hear any big difference in volume between the default value A1 and 21 or 25.

but here is the interesting.

what i was noticing as i got to the equalizer section stepping through the presets while listening to music was that there is a difference in volume when i'm listening the same piece of music with the UNIQUE eq-preset switched on in a hacked mode.either with the value 21 or 25. it just seems louder than listening with the UNIQUE eq-preset in the default mode(A1).

my idea is that the 113 code is controlling a kind of auto-gain for the eq-section just to prevent distorsion with extreme settings. just try to raise the basses at high volume output of a record which already has strong basses. it probably will get distorted, what i think happened to xispe . winamp has got that option too.

anyway.i'm thrilled about hacking my unit. thank you.

Edited by Philgood

first if you are stuck, just press stop several times till you get the service mode flashing screen.

Here goes the sequence after the flashing service mode screen:

(Key | Display)

VOL+ | 0 Manual

FWD | 100 MT

FWD | 110 NV

FWD | 111 xxxSCC (xxx values counting up...)

FWD | 112 NoClock

FWD | 113 xxxS25 (xxx values counting up...)

now to change the value after S just use VOL+ to increase and VOL- to decrease (in my case it was set as A0, so i just pressed VOL- till i read 25)

PAUSE to save

then press stop till you get to the first menu, with the flashing screen..

To quit the service mode remove all the power sources from the unit. Remove battery and / or AC adaptor plug.

After that the unit should start normally smile.gif

I'm glad it has worked out for you guys.

I'll get my unit back by friday so I wil then give it a try.

In the mean time I will try to get hold of a complete service manual.

As for the 113 codes, the manual clearly stated these were destibation codes. I don't know if it only affects sound.

well... it seems that the output is higher on my nh700. Or maybe its just placebo effect biggrin.gif lol

smile.gif well, I think it's the "placebo-effect" wink.gif

But I hope that someone will find a hack for boosting up my device smile.gif

3mW pro channel is not enough for good HIFI-headphones wacko.gif

ok! here's the proof tongue.gif

I've recorded about 14 seconds of the same hi-sp track, various times, at both hacked mode (25) and standard (A0) mode of my nh700. All of these were recorded using the same input volumes, and the output settings of the unit were changed for each recording.

LAME version 3.96.1 was used with preset --extreme

Standard mode (A0)

Vol 30 - No Equalizer

Vol 20 - UNIQUE Equalizer

Vol 25 - UNIQUE Equalizer

Vol 30 - UNIQUE Equalizer

Hacked mode (25)

Vol 30 - No Equalizer

Vol 20 - UNIQUE Equalizer

Vol 25 - UNIQUE Equalizer

Vol 30 - UNIQUE Equalizer

Notice the difference when the equalizer mode is on... from 25 and up... with the headphones and EQ on, i've been noticing that the signal is actually more stronger in hacked mode, rather than in standard.

In the hacked mode with no equalizer and at maximum volume (30), i've been experiencing higher output in my car. I use a sony head-unit with a "homemade" line-in input - [basically it simulates that a cd changer is present and opens up the BUS AUDIO IN rca inputs].

rolleyes.gif

Ok this is all! Enjoy! biggrin.gif

MZ-NH700

US - (Not a US model??)

Canadian/Australian 20

Europe/UK A0

Hong Kong/Korean 25

E91/Mexican 20

This would suggest that there is some difference between Hong Kong/Korean and Canadian/Australian.

The interesting thing is that since CA/AU is a lower value, it might actually be slightly less restricted than HK/Korea - assuming there's some kind of linear relationship here.

Perhaps setting this to '00' would completely uncap the amp. Not that I'm proposing anyone actually try this, I'm just saying - the higher the value, the lower the cap threshold [or ratio] is what appears to be going on.

In any case, my silly Koss pseudo-canalphones are so sensitive that they are deafening with my unit at 13/30 with most music. My Sennheiser HD330s start to hurt my ears at about 19/30.

edit:

Whatever the case may be, it's somewhat important to note that this setting is bound to have at least a minor affect on battery life as well.

I have a UK MZ-NH1 and, while it's not technically Euro-crippled, the volume is not exceedingly high but good enough to get by. I've noticed that above volume 24 increasing the volume makes no difference at all and this is the first time I've read mention of this by someone else. How likely is it that the NH1 can have the volume increased or is this a hardware issue? I'm not sure I know enough about hacking to be confident enough to risk it myself

ALL current minidisc players are volume-limited when compared to models released 3 or more years ago. I think that if the volume settings above 25 are ineffective on the 700 and this can be disabled then the same is possibly true on the NH1

Just changed the value at 113 in my NH900 european to 21 --> US and there is a huge difference! While louder the sound isn't that clear anymore, but I will try other headphones...let's see.

People, please don't use headphones to test if the volume is louder or not. Not only will you hurt your ears, you will hurt your phones. Do what dex did and use the headphone out into computer and record at different volume settings to compare capped vs not.

People, please don't use headphones to test if the volume is louder or not. Not only will you hurt your ears, you will hurt your phones. Do what dex did and use the headphone out into computer and record at different volume settings to compare capped vs not.

Hah! i just did the hack on my 900(euro-2-us) , and it worked. but it will probably never be able to overpower my akg k-270 headphones, so im fine with using it uncapped at full volume.

but finally, decent volume ! thanx a lot... smile.gif

First of all, HI.

I,ve been reading this post several times, i,ve been searching in this web too many times, but i can,t find the way to enter Servive Mode (maybe it,s me, maybe it,s my not-understanding-at-all english, or maybe i don,t know...), to try the value 113 change.

I,ve got a HiMd 600. Many thanks.------------------------------------------

While I generally agree with you, I tested it with some CDs, that had a very low sound level from the beginning. And the difference with earphones are important for me, as I am travelling quite often. Furthermore, I've already reached an age in which one is more careful, no matter what you are doing biggrin.gif

sorry i dont understand - could someone please make this step-by-step for me? i can get into sevice mode, then bring up 113, but dont understand where to go from there (there are more than 2 digits in 113 and thats throwing me a bit) i have a euro NH900.

thanks