Mdcf Sonicstage 3 & Mdsb Installer Project

Rate this topic

zerodB

The DX SS download is about 33MB (I presume it's only for windows XP)

When I talked about multi-languages, I was refering to windows's conponments (and perhaps OpenMG)

Including the WMF9 would be a good idea as that not everybody want to update their WMP to an even more bloated one

MDAC regkey should be HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess: Version

I yet have to script in those versions detection (auto-downlaod DX if it's older than 9.0c?) and pre3.0 uninstallation routines

I have used inno setup and think it may also work (it also allows for 7-zip compresion of the installation packages). http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Some things I have noticed about SS3:

OpenMG is now using a MSI package, which if made properly should be able to remove/update/install itself over any previous version (since the OpenMG from 2.3 that is)

MDAC included with SS3 is OLD. And I mean REALLY old. Should definitely get the newest from Microsoft if that is to be included. SS2.3 had a newer MDAC package. I have the newest one installed and it works fine.

If you toss MDAC, WMF, DirectX, the package comes out to be ~22 MB 7-zipped. If you do an admin install with OpenMG and 7-zip the result, you should be able to shrink it to just under 20 MB (I didn't try, but I think it's a good guess. I did do this for my 2.3 installer).

7-zip can shrink MDAC from 5.29 to 3.5 mb (version 2.8) and I just found out sp2 for winxp comes with 2.8 SP1 which you can't obtain elsewhere.

NSIS also have LZMA (not sure if it's the same as 7zip's one)

But it came out as 36MB, without DX

Included MDAC is version 2.51, I guess we can check if the installed version meet the minimum requierment, else update to newest available

And yes, OpenMG use MSI, Sony's installer only remove SS2.3

If only it was just a simple SFX, we could extract them and run the exe...

NSIS also have LZMA (not sure if it's the same as 7zip's one)

But it came out as 36MB, without DX

Included MDAC is version 2.51, I guess we can check if the installed version meet the minimum requierment, else update to newest available

And yes, OpenMG use MSI, Sony's installer only remove SS2.3

If only it was just a simple SFX, we could extract them and run the exe...

2.51 is an old version. SS2.3 came with 2.8, I have no idea why the reverted back to 2.51. Also when looking thru some of the files in the 3.0 package I remember there was a typo (spelling error XD) in one of them. Forgot which one but seems like they released 3.0 in a real hurry.

What does ur package include? Mine has OpenMG, MSC, the EULA, drivers, SS, and the Addon pack and is only 29->22.4mb. MDAC is about 5-6MB or ~3 with LZMA.

I don't like NSIS because they won't support unicode biggrin.gif But if overhead were a concern, you could just make a msi package..which would make it easier to maintain future versions as well.

Unpacking the OpenMG package and recompressing with LZMA yields a final package of 19.8 MB biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by OCedHrt

How did you manage to make it that small blink.gif

I'm at 25MB using LZMA with 16MB dictionary size

That's with version check of MSI, DX and MDAC (don't know where to look for the WMF, install the Fhg MP3 decoder filter, WMA and something else too...

Comes bundled with MSI and WMFdist, rest are downloaded off M$ website if needed

Well I took out most of the packages like Dx, MDAC, WMF. If you download the installer's file script you can get the links to all the components of the SS3 package. I tried to make the installer resume off those packages but doesn't work :/

Mine doesn't have dx version check, but does have msi I believe because it has the msi installer. I took out WMF because a lot of people have it as well. Could just include some info that says if you want WMA support go download it.

To shave some MB off the package, run the OpenMG setup with /a. Then use the admin install in the package. You still need to include some files from the original OpenMG install but not all of them (about half? forgot). Setup.exe isn't even needed since you can just run Is_setup XD.

I know, I'm the one who posted the setup ini tongue.gif

Resume doesn't work? NSISdl downloaded off sonypicture server just fine...

I'm not at home now but I did extract OpenMG, what do you mean by not all files are needed?

I got rid of MSI 1.2 and extracted/merged the OpenMG one (2.0) with the external one

As for the wmfdist, you can't download it off microsoft website, it's part of the SDK as far as I know

user posted image

I'm not sure if you even need shutdown.exe since the iss file has it configured to not reboot. Might be able to get away without instmsia as well...

For resuming, I was talking about having the installer/script copy the downloaded zip files to the temp folder that the original SS3 installer downloads to and hoping that it will resume smile.gif

Not too sure if the wmf package is even needed considering that it's dated in 2002. It's based off a very early version 9 and most people would already have newer files. The WM9 Codec pack includes most of the WMV components for 1.35 MB

That's for more recent OS, older ones still need this one, hum...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

OS check then tongue.gif

Yep the codecs really complicate things. What has me concerned is that the wmfdist that comes with SS has mp3 decoder?/encoder? and other weird stuff too. Not too sure if they're necessary and since I have a big codec pack installed I can't really tell if missing them will have ill effects tongue.gif

Edit: Took a look at the 9x package and found that all the codecs are the same files biggrin.gif (figured, they're just codecs anyways) There are 3 additional files that add up to 104kb so you can really just include both together. Actaully, the inf file for Win9x is already included in the XP package of the WM9 codecs..(no idea why)..total comes to 1.07mb 7-zipped biggrin.gif

Edited by OCedHrt

Mine check for it and download the right packages (if needed)

The only thing left to add would be SS2.3 uninstallation

As for MP3 decoding, most OS (since 98SE? anyway) should have MP3 decoding, I'm including mp123 Direct Show Filter anyway smile.gif

22.7MB now (include InstMsiA for 9x/Me, rest are version checked and downloaded off M$ website if needed)

Seems to work fine on XP, need a couple of testers with older OSes

Mine check for it and download the right packages (if needed)

The only thing left to add would be SS2.3 uninstallation

As for MP3 decoding, most OS (since 98SE? anyway) should have MP3 decoding, I'm including mp123 Direct Show Filter anyway smile.gif

22.7MB now (include InstMsiA for 9x/Me, rest are version checked and downloaded off M$ website if needed)

Seems to work fine on XP, need a couple of testers with older OSes

You could use a system monitor/snapshot thing to create a msi out of the ss2.3 uninstall. I wonder if that'll work...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...