Did You Buy Your 1st Hi-md(disc) Yet?

Rate this topic

Guest tony wong

Did You buy your 1st Hi-MD(disc) yet?  

1. 1. Did You buy your 1st Hi-MD(disc) yet?

• YES
    • NO

Yes I got my MZ NH-700 as soon as it was available at my local dealer (Oct. 2004).

I got 1 1G disc with it and had to wait until Feb. 2005 to get more 1G Discs.

I am over the moon with it. biggrin.gif

I will upgrade to a later model with HD amp. A.S.A.P.

Edited by cfairfowl

Bought a HiMD NH600D player off Ebay almost a couple weeks after they came out. I then "froogled" for the minidiscs and found them at http://www.jr.com for about 7 bucks a piece.

Spent the better part of a week transferring almost my entire library of CDs and MP3s to 4 of those 1gig discs at the low resolution mode in Simple Burner. 180 hours of music for my trips across the world isn't such a bad trade off. Plus since I was listening to the stuff in planes and trains, my ears couldn't really tell that the quality was that bad. Even on the road in my truck, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Even though it isn't as "sexy" as an Ipod and the software is still a bit clunky, I love it.

UK readers: digital-e now has the 1Gb discs for £4.79 (if you buy 25!) First time I've seen 'em under £5. But byte-for-byte they're not going to be worth it until they are more like £3...

http://www.digital-e-uk.com/d-e/products.pl

BTW this is a good retailer in my experience - I've bought lots of discs off them and never any problems, always speedy and prices seem good to me.

I have 5 discs for my NHF-800.

One is used for mp3 music (walkman use) and 4 for recording my live performances and band practices.

I generally fill all 4 weekly during band practices at HiSP before transferring to my PC and storing as mp3.

Live performances are recorded in PCM, ripped to hard drive and burnt to CD directly.

The "walkman use" minidisc, is erased and re-recorded bi-weekly from mp3s ripped from assorted CDs according to my listening whims of the moment. I am not a stickler for quality recordings as mostly I am listening for musicianship and song composition so the 64 bit encoded/45 CDs per disc is fine by me. (I am also using the stock headphones for walking about.)

The main problem I am having is the 10+ hours of editing I need to go though every weekend to pick the gems out of the practices, but, I am confident that different recording media would not solve this problem.

With respect to purchasing more, since the HIMD is pricey and limited to one upload per recorded performance I can not use them as permanent storage. However, when I return to full time University during the summer, I will need a couple more discs for recording lectures. I think 2 more HIMD discs (14 more weekly recording hours) will be all I ever need until an inevitable media failure causes me to replace one of these.