Why The Playback Time Of Hi-md Player Have Dropped To So Short?

Rate this topic

Guest tony wong

Guest tony wong

I am still using an old model that don't even support NetMD(MZ-E710)

its spec says :

(all for SP)

60 hours for AA battery

36 hours for rechargeable battery

96 hours for both

why it has come to around 20 hours only for the Hi-MD player?

I have noticed this drop since the release of NetMD models....

why?

Your original post didn't talk about the R900 or any other model. I was only commenting on your comparison of a player only model vs. a Hi-MD recorder.

The Hi-MD recorder models read more dense media and can actually record or play uncompressed files. There is no reason to expect them to get similar battery life to the old units. By the way, they do get much better battery life when recording or playing non-Hi-MD codecs.

I have very similar problem on my Sony Cd portable player. They have these unbelievable spec. that the unit can play dozens of hours. But I can only use it 2 x approx. 2 to 2.5 hr. of each workout, say about 4 - 5 hr.

As to my NH1, I charge it approx. once every 2 workout, again about 2 - 2.5 hr., because after my 2nd workout, the battery life only have the last light on.

Although on the manual, it says 14.5 hr. on SP mode of MD. I can't see it came close to 14.5 hr. at all.

I have very similar problem on my Sony Cd portable player.  They have these unbelievable spec. that the unit can play dozens of hours.  But I can only use it 2 x approx. 2 to 2.5 hr. of each workout, say about 4 - 5 hr.

This makes sense to me, in the context of "workout."

Workout probably means constant jarring and vibration, which means the player has to constantly seek and reseek the same points to fill the buffer consistently and without error.

Constant use of the anti shock memory takes more power, basically.

I have experienced battery life for playback in excess of 26 hours with non-name AA alkaline batteries in my NH700. If I do a lot of walking with the unit, it falls to around 20 hours.

And indeed - everything about HiMD takes more power, really. You have a higher-resolution servo positioning the optical block [and magnetic head when recording], a higher power laser, and a larger antishock buffer to begin with. Those three alone consume more power than their equivalents in any MD.

Guest tony wong

plus with DWDD discs the laser is actually needed to heat up the disc before reading (similar to recording although not as much). This act of using the laser to heat something (on playback!) alone accounts for a significant drop in the 1GB disc playback

thx for ur information

this info is quite useful for me

I don't know that before

and how about spinning speed for the Hi-MD?

I do think if it needs faster spinning, the motor will surely need more power to run

well, DWDD is really a new thing

guess I'll have to read more on that now laugh.gif

another funny question arise : would that heat up of disc for playback lead to shorter life of Hi-MD recordings?

thx for ur information

this info is quite useful for me

I don't know that before

and how about spinning speed for the Hi-MD?

I do think if it needs faster spinning, the motor will surely need more power to run

well, DWDD is really a new thing

guess I'll have to read more on that now laugh.gif

another funny question arise : would that heat up of disc for playback lead to shorter life of Hi-MD recordings?

not necessarily, a HiMD disc is multi-layer and has at least 3 different curie points. Check out the FAQ for more info