Ever Print Your Own Disc Labels?

Rate this topic

daremo

Have you ever tried to print your own minidisc labels?  

1. 1. Have you ever tried to print your own minidisc labels?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Never really cared.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this. I've had some success in the past using a MS word template I made. I never could get the thin ones that go on the end of the disc to work though... Is there any good software out there that does this simply and easily?

At home, the content of my MD's changes weekly, so I don't use labels, untill whiteboard-like labels are on the market that can be erased laugh.gif In the studio, we write our own labels. We don't have a printer there.

By the way, I do have the "MD Label Projector" installed on my computer, just never used it.

So how would you go about putting the original labels in the printer tray?

My printing method with MS Word is really somewhat "primitive." I first set the margin and print the disc title accordingly as a sample. Then align the original label onto the printed paper - you will have to align the original title label over the printed text; the area, which you want the text to appear. Once this is done, secure the original label with tiny scotch tape so that it does not move. Then reprint the disc title without changing any margin on MS Word. The disc title should then be printed neatly over the "secured" original label. You can use the same method for tracklisting as well.

I know I can employ Neato labels but I prefer to use the original labels. This is indeed a tedious process - not many would fancy such "primitive" method - but it works for me. With a laserjet printer, all my MiniDisc, just over 500++ MiniDiscs spots neatly printed disc title and tracklisting.

*I will include some pictures of the printed labels shortly.

Then align the original label onto the printed paper - you will have to align the original title label over the printed text; the area, which you want the text to appear. Once this is done, secure the original label with tiny scotch tape so that it does not move.

I used to do that back when I used VHS tapes. Never thought to do it with MD labels.... Interesting idea. I had been just printing to regular paper or sometimes glossy (if I put a spiffy picture on it) and just cutting out and glueing my label on. But here in Ohio it gets pretty cold and I've found the change in temp can make the glue go bye bye.

I have Sony LabelMaker 5.1 installed on my PC. If you have an MD running in either SonicStage or M-Crew, you just hit the print label button (or go tools -> print a label in the SonicStage menu) and it enters in all the track details for you according to how you've titled your disc. Though I've never used it to print an MD label, it looks too weird for me. I think Ishiyoshi's method sounds the easiest.

You guys may have heard me slap my forehead over this one (the "slap heard around the world"). I'm rapidly running out of my stash of Neato labels and sitting on a stack of original MD labels that have been accumulating over the years. The tape/paper idea is so simple, I'm very depressed I never thought of it.

Now I can finally use all the labels I've got lying around!

And to add a bit of information, check your local office supply store for Avery label paper. You can get adhesive printer paper in 8.5x11" sheets and run off a bunch of MD labels at once. They also don't agree with extreme climate changes--the paper wrinkles when it sits out in the elements (like my car for five winter months).

Thanks for the idea Kurisu! I found some of those Avery labels that you just print and cut at OfficeMax, and tweaked my word template a bit. Works very nice, except cutting out the disc end labels is a bit tricky. Dang those things are tiny... I also found some clear labels, and could not resist to pick up a pack.

Take a pack of Avery #8665

Add some whiteTDK Blanks from minidisco,

And you get some pretty neat looking discs!

user posted image

user posted image

This is the first one I've done. I know this won't work for everything, nor will it work on dark colored discs, but it still looks neat biggrin.gif

The photo does not show it, but there are some little air bubbles. Prob need to apply the label like putting on an lcd screen protector. Take like a credit card and press it on evenly. But even with the air bubbles it looks pretty neat! Im going to have to get myself more white or silver colored discs ^^

Or you could use the same trick that signmakers [who use self-adhesive vinyl for signs]:

Put a little bit of water on the surface [cover the shutter, obviously] using a misting spray-bottle, then put the label on. The water makes it so you lift the label off, reposition it, and squeeze bubbles out more easily.

Obviously, this will not work with labels that are made from paper; only with labels [like the clear ones] that are plastic-based.

I have Sony LabelMaker 5.1 installed on my PC. If you have an MD running in either SonicStage or M-Crew, you just hit the print label button (or go tools -> print a label in the SonicStage menu) and it enters in all the track details for you according to how you've titled your disc. Though I've never used it to print an MD label, it looks too weird for me. I think Ishiyoshi's method sounds the easiest.

Where do you get Sony Lablemaker 5.1?

M-Crew is ok. It could be a lot better, but it still is a really usefull app IMO. The good news is that I can control nearly every aspect of my bookshelf unit from the PC - which makes doing recordings from CD -> MD a breeze. I just title the CD tracks using the s/w, click the tracks I want to record and go! I can choose the recording mode/high-speed recording etc. The PC Library function however, is poorly integrated. However, it's not too big of deal - in any case the 333NT operates as a USB audio device, so I can really use any program I want to stream audio from PC to the unit. The app works fine with SonicStage, and quietly resides in the system tray when you try and run SS and M-Crew simultaneously.

The version I have, is specific to the 333NT. If you want to know more, PM me and I can post some screenshots to show operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps, but it might be a violation of Sony's EULA or copyright laws.

EDIT: And in anycase, it's not a very user-friendly application. About 10 times less user friendly than SonicStage. The only real advantage it offers is going directly from MD titles in SS or M-Crew to a label, so you don't have to re-input everything again. I haven't used it to print labels anyway, i've just played around with it.

Edited by zerodB

My $0.02: Neto labels peel & jam up the MD. Pressit MD labels are superior in that regard, but you can only order from Europe or Australia, and it's hard to find a vendor who will accept US credit cards. Still the Pressit MD labels are absolutely the very best.

For artwork, I use Coreldraw. Never use Word to do graphics. (the right tool for the job, etc. etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

Theres a program called coverXP, its a program that is used to print out many different covers for different things [cds, dvds, cassettes, etc], and I just checked it and it has a preset for minidisc plastic container. But when i looked at the dimensions for it, its a little bit off, well atleast for my cases. For a sony MD case, its dimensions are 71mm x 52mm. But, you can create your own custom sizes, and print them out. Its based on pictures, so if you go into photoshop, or word or whatever, design your layout, and then import it into converxp, itll print it out for you. Also it will strech pictures if you want to. So you could reate any custom sized MD labels that you want using this program, and when you print them out, it has cutlines, and stuff, its a really good proggie. Also you can select different types of paper, so if your using avery stock, it has some presets to where to print on the paper, and for different companies. Id reccomend this program if you want to create MD labels, and print them out.

The website is www.coverxp.com , they have a free version, as well as a trial for full version. I'm not sure if you can create/edit templates with the trial, but I think I could upload the templates if you gave me the dimensions. So you could use this program to create the spine labels if you want as well. So you guys should give it a try.

-Sulk

• 1 month later...

At home, the content of my MD's changes weekly, so I don't use labels, untill whiteboard-like labels are on the market that can be erased  laugh.gif In the studio, we write our own labels. We don't have a printer there.

By the way, I do have the "MD Label Projector" installed on my computer, just never used it.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=10429

I am wanting to buy one of those printers, that prints the text onto the actual CD, and not just a piece of paper that you have to glue on. I recon they would be great! But they are a little expensive here in Australia at the momen I think.. sad.gif

I just used the method shown on this web page and they turned out great. He also mentions the paper he used. The template is dead on. I will try some of those clear labels but I'm curious if they will peel and mess up my gear.

MD labels

Edited by dyonisus

So far no peeling yet. But I have a feeling like all labels eventually there will be some. Most of my MD labels that come with the discs at some point start to peel. Esp the thin one on the front of the disc >_<

• 2 months later...

I also have "M-CREW" (comes with labelmaker 5.1) for the CMT-M333NT on my computor and find it to be a real good program for printing labels. You can print Cassetts, CD's, MD's labels with this program. It is very easy to use and if you desire you can use any pic on your Hard Drive and print it on your label. You have multi choices for the image you want to use on your label, just click on the graphics you want and make your decision. You than can if desired print the name of recording over the picture on your label.

I am using a lot of nice landscape pictures I took of PEI on my labels now. I use photo paper to get the best image possible and get 2 labels on 1 sheet, I pay .30 Cents per sheet so eash label costs me .15 Cents.

I use a restickable glue stick by scotch to stick labels to outside case of MD. I use outside protector case because I have fears a label may come off inside my HIMD. I use restickable glue stick to have the optiion of replaceing the lable at a later date.

To me this is an excellent program, very easy to use, does a real good job and if I can do it anyone cabn.

I wish I knew how to post pictures on this site as I am quite happy with the results.

If you have access to "M.CREW" I would suggest very strongly that you take a few minutes to review & try the program, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

• sfbp locked this topic