You Buying Into Second Generation?

Rate this topic

Christopher

If I was going for these, RH10. Lol.

I'm waiting for two things:

First is another generation of ipods. just to see what's happening over that side.

Second is another generation of Sony NW-HD.

I'm not too keen on discs.

Still, this is the best generation of MD yet. I think and am hoping that the interface is copied from their HD players. Making the MD act like any mp3 player is a good idea.

I like the 10 and 910 equally, ...I'd probably end up getting both actually, the 710 doesn't fit me though.

What I want to know is whether MP3 support is only on Hi-MD formatted discs, or if you can put them on standard formatting MDs...I don't think that'll be answered for a while though sad.gif

Also, I want sony to implement Hi-MD to MD formatting (so you can still use your hi-md formatted discs...)...

Still, this is the best generation of MD yet. I think and am hoping that the interface is copied from their HD players. Making the MD act like any mp3 player is a good idea.

I agree. wink.gif It sure does look like the interface of the RH10 + RH910 is nearly identical to the HD1-3 series, but this makes me wonder if there will be a new set of woes from transcending that interface to MD. Guess it's time to read that HD3 manual..

RH10 biggrin.gif Mostly because it's sexy AND has the on-player OLED. Aside from just being really really nice, I'd never need to carry a remote. Couldn't care less for MP3 support since, encoding from WAV, LP2@132k sounds better than 128k MP3 to me and I'm not willing to waste space/battery life going with higher bitrate MP3. Also the 32 hours of battery life for the RH10 seems like one hell of an improvement over the NH1. It will be great if I can go 3-4 solid workdays without a recharge vs the 2 days I get now. Note: I'm not complaining about the NH1's battery life now, but longer life is always nice.

Depending on price, I will probably be getting an RH10 or 910. If the $299 price point is correct, it'll probably be the RH10.

I definitely would like MP3 support; most of my music for portable use is in MP3 (I've had various portable MP3 players since 98!) and I really like the minidisc format. If it is correctly implemented (HOPEFULLY drag and drop, but at least EASY in SonicStage; many of my MP3s are on CDs or DVDs so I can't really have them in a "library") I can finally switch to minidisc for pretty much all portable music needs. smile.gif

Support for the older 74/80min MDs (with MP3s) would be nice, as well.

Since I have an NH1, I need to see what these units offer in real life. If the 910 has a AA pack and standard USB (and the RH10 doesn't), I'd go with a 910.. I want to try to find a unit that complements my NH1, not entirely replaces (since I just got the bugger!). And I'd HATE to be stuck in the same boat of having to worry about $25 extra cables to take my NH1 to work, no spare battery, etc.

But I really want to see the RH10's display in action.. smile.gif

So, probably 90% chance I'd get SOMETHING eventually. Maybe even right at first availability, depending on what reports come in (I assume the US won't be first to get these models..)

don't think so... i'll stick with my nh700 and just hope that sonicstage gets better with the newer version.

I also hope that the transcoding to ATRAC3plus 256 kbps becomes faster and with more quality. (in fact, currently i am happy with the quality of transcoded mp3s).

Probably in a few months i'll upgrade my computer, so all this conversion process will be less painfull tongue.gif

I also hope that this second generation brings hi-md head units for the car.. come on... :|

Guest tony wong

it seems to me that I will never buy a Hi-MD player......

it seems that the primary use of Hi-MD have included data storage

and it is strange to have a device like floppy drive who have only reading ability(without writing ability)

what I mean is :

the portable Hi-MD player will(or at least shall) be having recording head

(well, u can say it is magnetic head) as a must

that limits it from becoming too small(we are talking about one head under the disc and one head over)

that is, it would not be that possible to see a player small like playback only player in the past

wow....

Let me see the remotes first. If They're any good - great! I'll get the RH10 when I go on holiday in Australia.

If not... well I've been quoted £80 for a 40ELK by a Sony dearler. Are they available by themselves in Australia? I mean NOT as a spares item...

Guest tony wong

Let me see the remotes first. If They're any good - great! I'll get the RH10 when I go on holiday in Australia.

If not... well I've been quoted £80 for a 40ELK by a Sony dearler. Are they available by themselves in Australia? I mean NOT as a spares item...

haha, funny, did kurisu state RH10 won't have display remote come with it?

Guest tony wong

Tony, will you be buying one of the second gen units?

nope

reasons :

1. just bought a NetMD mini

2. my portable player is still working

(I'll consider buy one if it's broken, that's my habit, I won't buy another player until the last one malfunction)

3. someone did mention in the forum, that, there's gonna be another newer format of Hi-MD appear, that is larger than 1G and would be imcompatible with current 1G Hi-MD

4. I don't appreciate the design of currently 1G Hi-MD

I am originally using MD for audio purpose(no as a portable recorder)

well for me best choice is a playback only player+recording mini

it seems it's not that possible in current Hi-MD design coz it seems all Hi-MD portable have recording ability, and that limits the size of the unit from becoming too small

5. I am not sure on the ability of Hi-MD to store data, I just doubt if the Hi-MD will lose data anytime

(well, for audio, that I often saw that MD may not be working at some certain point of the disc

for audio, u can skip this song and play the next one

for data, u just can't do it

even a single bit of error in the exe file can make the whole exe cannot execute)

6. media seems too expensive

in hk, u can buy a cdr with $1.5 and dvdr(4x) at $3(all in hk dollar)

(and yes, I do have a dvd burner a year ago)

compared with $50 a Hi-MD with only 1G size, seems quite expensive

What I am trying to say is not Hi-MD is not good

What I mean is just the current design of Hi-MD need improvement

and the improvement will be to fit the needs of the end users

So, with the announcement of second generation Hi-MD just off the block, I just wanted to inquire as to what you'd be buying, if buying anything at all.

I just received an NHF800 for Christmas, so I'm going to hang with it for awhile... I'll come back in a year or so and see how it's going with the new units - bitrate support, transfer process, etc. If SS slaughters your MP3s on the way to the player then I may wait a little longer.

I have a two months old NH900 and a brand new RMMC40ELK, so I will wait a price drop for the next-gen HiMD device to start thinking to buy one of those, in which case would be the RH10 (for the time being).

p.s. For me, Atrac is better than mp3 so there's not any rush sleep.gif

Edited by Tiesto

Well, good thing I waited for the 2nd generation Hi-MDs. It would be nice to have all the recording options (as well as that MP3 playback), even if I wouldn't use them all the time. Of course I'll go for the RH10!

Is it too early to find out any of the quirks? It's picky, but it would be nice to know if the RH10 remembers what you've played when you're in "Shuffle" mode. Right now, the only machine I have that doesn't reset with a poweroff is my N10, and I love it to death for that. Tell me the RH10 does as well, and I'm in for sure.

And you know what would also be pretty cool (maybe in the future)? Direct MP3 ENcoding. happy.gif

I just got my NHF800 two months ago, so it's way too early for me to even consider a new MD unit. The 800 fits my needs (analog recording, portable listening) quite well and I think it'll be a while before I want something else.

Also, I want sony to implement Hi-MD to MD formatting (so you can still use your hi-md formatted discs...)...

Not, isn't possible!

Because one hole for protect (shell inferior) between disks MD and Hi-MD are different!

Whichever MD formatting from disk Hi-MD blank can't use any old recorder MD or NetMD!

Edited by betamaxDATminidisc

I use my NH1 for recording live music so I have no need for MP3. The only reason I would be interested in the new models is if they take care of two pains in the booty:

1. Remembers last manual recording setting and defaults to it.

2. Doesn't make annoying track marks at low volume points while going 'Line In.'

In other words, I'd buy one if it was more like a Sharp!!! (but with sony style)