You Buying Into Second Generation?

Rate this topic

Christopher

I got to get me one - probably the lovelt OLED will swing it for me.

I have been waiting for mp3 play back for a few years now. Main reason is I listen to a lot of audio books. These are normaly encoded at 22Khz - mono at a low bit rate. This means I offen have to make a temp copy (.wav) then encode the wave in SS. Do you have any idea how much this blows.

If the mp3 playback is flexable enough to manage these files I got it made.

Everso

I didn't completely sit the first round out. I bought a 600 but returned it to get my NW-HD1. I use that now rather than MD, although I still use MD in the car as I have an in-dash MD player.

Still, I lack the excellent recording capability made possible with Hi-MD, especially now with the WAV converter. I expect I will get a RH10 primarily for recording, but not as a portable music player.

Of course, there was that comment from Kurisu about Moderators getting a gift rolleyes.gif

Apparently NW-HD3 works with VAIO Music Transfer software. Makes it more tempting to buy somethin' like that.

I like it how you can now record yourself playing "good-bye" really badly and upload it onto the computer for editing.

I wish there was a way to two track on these machines.

I see the 1GB discs as fixed size playlists.

The major flaw is the software. If it was possible to have itunes smart playlists in sonic stage then the MD would work just lovely. It's like owning maybe 20 ipod randoms for like $600. 20 iPod randoms would cost me $3000. $2400 to wear it around my neck? And the iPod random is cheap, too.

I might as well note I'm only using the iPod brand as an example because it's the most well known mp3 player. That's why everyone else uses it as an example too, I imagine.

From the known quantities, both RH10 and RH910 sounds like Gumstick powered units (30 hour range), and given that assumption (I can be utterly off on this), I won't be getting either RH10 or RH910. Why? Quite simply, the size of NH1 makes the NH910 feels like a piece of brick. Going by that assumption, both the RH10 or the 910 would be fairly thick (as the NH900)...

Oddly enough, my D-NE1 is about as thick as my NH1, and it uses two gumsticks.... Hmm, I wonder if they managed to shrink the size of the RH10? It should be noted though, the D-NE1 has no onboard LCD.

Given that, I'm willing to see what'd be the replacement for the NH1 unit, and go from there. I'm hoping and betting that RH10 won't be the end all be all replacement unit for NH1...

If I'm wrong though, it'll be a happy mistake nonetheless.

I think i will sit this round out. Having native MP3 support just isn't that important to me. I can get all my MP3's on my NH600 now, using SonicStage. Sure ,it converts them to ATRAC first but on my 2.2GHz Celeron the wait time is barely noticeable. So.. the current HiMD suits my needs just fine.

The only thing that will get me to buy a new HiMD unit is if Sony can increase the through-put. The USB 1.1 interface (500K per second) is inconvenient, especially when I'm trying to backup a bunch of files from work. However, it is my understanding that the magneto-optical disks have a max write rate of about 500K per second? It may not be possible to write faster than that unless they use a completely different media.

I'd like a Hi-MD boombox.

I'd like a decent MD box of any type.I collect boomboxes.there hasn't been a decent one built in many years of any type at all.Off topic.I know,but I just couldn't resist.

No dice.I'll just stick to the 900.If I want mp3 sound I'l just record to cassette tape, put the cassette in mud, then ajust the head azmuth so it's way off track.That should do it.Ok...so that's a bit harsh.I realy don't like the sound of mp3 even at 320 kb/s.There is just no "warmth".Yes I love MD ,but I'm analog at heart.You can say MP3 is CD quality if you'd like.It dosen't make it true.Besides: I'm not all that fond of CDs eather.Give me a turntable or open reel deck anytime(even recorded on MD) over a CD,MP3,or anything "remastered for digital" anyday.Call me a hypocrite if you'd like......8)

Edited by 8track

Though I am mad at Sony's changing the tecnology so frequently, and though I am an Atrac man rather than mp3, and though I also own a HD1... I think I will go for a RH10, just to throw up my NH1 to the pile of older units starting with MZ-R3. GOD! How much I have invested on Minidiscs. I will have to have this unit, for I am a collector. Still I am waiting for a decent HiMD deck.

Peare, you're not keen on the Onyko deck?

I have never had an Onkyo in my long history of High Fidelity. I was really provoked to see this deck, but missing USB support is a real minus. I dont think Sharp will release a Hi-MD deck... maybe some portable recorders. I am very hopeful of a Sony deck. I would like a Denon deck, but they have long left the technology. So I will be waiting a bit. I would like something with a large LCD screen remote for my old eyes. rolleyes.gif

I have a couple of MP3 players (including a CF-based one I use while running -- despite the buffer, MDs have not been good for that task), so MP3 support is not a major issue. I primarily use my MD for recording (both digital and analog). This includes digital recording of Internet streams.

While I do not need the MP3 function for music (at least not this late in the game), it will be a major plus for me if the new generation has variable speed control for MP3s -- I have a ton of MP3 audiobooks, and, while I'll keep my MP3 music on my MP3 player, the speed control function will make the player perfect for listening to audiobooks with minimal transfer hassles.

That said, I am in the market for a new unit, as the LED on my R70 was damaged recently. If not for that fact, I probably would not be salivating for one of the new units. I could probably make do with a display remote, but rather than spending $40 on that, I'll probably go for the RH10. The primary selling points for me are are the OLED and long battery life.

I am completely sold on the MD format, it has done everything (and more) I could have wished for, an excellent system for both music and spoken word. I will upgrade just for the sake of it and buy a later model when I have decided on the one I want.

I want one with a really good output stage so I can run it through the HiFi until a HiMD top class deck turns up.

Any suggestions? I would like some recommendations if possible.

Question: Are you buying into the 2nd generation of Hi-MD?

Answer: Well, I am a litttle surprised ohmy.gif and upset mad.gif that some of the 2nd generation units are cheaper than the first generation of the Hi-MD units! Yodobashi camera (a big shop in Japan) just started selling the 2nd generation units and the MZ-RH10 is ¥34,800while the older MZ-NH1-S Hi-MD¥39,700, and I bought that a month ago! Here is a link to one of Yodobashi web pages that has a few of those new ones along with their prices:

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/produc...5/23318536.html

and there is that nice MZ-RH10 ( rolleyes.gif very tempting!!!)unit Kurisu was talking about:

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/cat_...6/35202643.html

Till next time,

Mikami

As nice as my NH900 is, it is still hasn't replaced my B-100 as a field recorder, and the new units are even less suitable (no AA-cell options). When Sony gets around to a HiMD version of the B100--or when they fix their wretched, paranoid software--I'll be very interested. At the moment, their design philosophy seems intended to sell Edirol R-1 units to field recordists.

For the record: zero interest in MP3 playback or reduced physical size or 3 months of uninterrupted play-time or looking at photos on my audio recorder. That's what iPods and their kin are for. Much interest in integrated mikes, good mike pre-amps, flexible power options, usable controls and readable displays. And no #$*%@ copying restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony are very irritating. I bought my R45 then they brought out MDLP. SO I bought my home deck with MDLP and they brought out Net MD. So I then upgraded to the MZ N10 which was fine apart from battery life and - hey, said Sony, what about Hi MD?

So then I changed to the NH1 which is fine apart from an absurdly daft docking station and and having to take aforementioned cradle everywhere to recharge it - so what now?

The RH range with MP3 support, better battery life and a proper docking arrangement.

Being now the owner of 3 portables and a deck it seems unlikely that I'll be able to resist the RH10 for long, just wish I'd not been so quick to buy the NH1 - if I'd known just how irritating the lack of USB connections to the docking station would prove to be I'd have waited longer.

Anyone want to buy a whole stack of MD kit?

My 3 kids were all converts to MD - sadly the sheer convenience of iPod has lost them to the format now, not surprisingly.

Nope, I'm not. Some form of compressed lossless is what I want (or 1GB discs at the price of old discs so that I can afford to utilize PCM).

So until either happens, I'll stick with my old, but sturdy MT190 smile.gif

Oh, and I might add I consider HiMD not serious enough until there's a full size deck available.

Edited by Breepee2

Nope, I'm not. Some form of compressed lossless is what I want (or 1GB discs at the price of old discs so that I can afford to utilize PCM).

So until either happens, I'll stick with my old, but sturdy MT190 smile.gif

Oh, and I might add I consider HiMD not serious enough until there's a full size deck available.

I think this really depends on what people use the format for.

For those of us whose primary purpose in having MD / HiMD is portable recording, MD and netMD basically became completely dead in the water with the introduction of HiMD.

For those of you who use the format mainly for portable playback, HiMD may make little sense, especially if you've made investments in home or car decks.

I think this really depends on what people use the format for. 

For those of us whose primary purpose in having MD / HiMD is portable recording, MD and netMD basically became completely dead in the water with the introduction of HiMD. 

For those of you who use the format mainly for portable playback, HiMD may make little sense, especially if you've made investments in home or car decks.

True. Since my purpose is all-round high-quality sound (whether I'm on the move or listening to my hifi at home) I'd pretty much require a deck. And of course sound-quality seems to be less imprtant when biking than listening at home, I don't want to worry about it. I do not want the hassle of using CD's at home and MD's on the move. MD's are perfect, only a tad too expensive when using PCM, that's why I'd like a compressed lossless format that would allow about 60 minutes of CD-quality (as in bitperfect) on an old MD (reformatted). That would be bliss in my opinion smile.gif

Sony are very irritating. I bought my R45 then they brought out MDLP. SO I bought my home deck with MDLP and they brought out Net MD. So I then upgraded to the MZ N10 which was fine apart from battery life and - hey, said Sony, what about Hi MD?

So then I changed to the NH1 which is fine apart from an absurdly daft docking station and and having to take aforementioned cradle everywhere to recharge it - so what now?

The RH range with MP3 support, better battery life and a proper docking arrangement.

Being now the owner of 3 portables and a deck it seems unlikely that I'll be able to resist the RH10 for long, just wish I'd not been so quick to buy the NH1 - if I'd known just how irritating the lack of USB connections to the docking station would prove to be I'd have waited longer.

Anyone want to buy a whole stack of MD kit?

My 3 kids were all converts to MD - sadly the sheer convenience of iPod has lost them to the format now, not surprisingly.

I totally share your anger which I had previously expressed here. I have all kinds of MD equipment which had driven my wife crazy for all those past years. She stopped whining when she finally decided that I was nuts. I bought NH1 late august and though it is small and sexy I am tired of carrying its cradle wherever I go. Not to mention I had to format it many times. Last format was made by my son whose notebook did not go on transfering his music unless NH1 had to be emptied. Sony's policy of registering the item over the net doesnt work all times. I understand not transfering back to a computer tracks from another computer, but why not go on transfering other tracks to the item itself. Sony would never listen to its customers and at the end they will go bankrupt. Seen the shares? They had to change the dinasaur CEO!

I am not a mp3 fan, I like ATRAC, but I want unlimited transfers in and out to any computer I want. Until then I decided not to go with any other product from Sony, if it survives. Though new models are shiny, the next and only item will be a HI-MD deck.

Personally, the lower prices attract me...and the MP3 capability. I use my NH1 to record vinyl mixes and then upload via the Wav Converter, and listen to mp3 mixes at the gym.

...but I don't really mind the way I transferred MP3's into Atrac using sonicstage.

Also, I really like the look and feel of my NH1....which seems to be missing in the 2nd Gen Models.

I'll be buying in. I'm not sure which model... the RH10 probably. I currently have a 600D, and I usually just put some music on a disc and bring the unit in to work. Heck it stays here most of the time.

The benefits of the second gen unit will pretty much be the ability to use my existing MP3 library, instead of having to either re-rip in ATRAC or transcode from MP3, resulting in database duplication. I use a few discs for backing up a few things, so that is helpful.

Hopefully this will step HiMD into more popularity, and we'll eventually end up seeing a car head unit and stereo units. And maybe, just maybe a data drive for PCs.

I think I'll be getting the MZ-RH10 Hi-MD as well. My mp3 collection is not that big (under 4 gigs), so getting an mp3 player which olds 20 gigs seems pointless to me. Some strong selling points for me are:

1) Cheap 1 gig media (compared to others like SD and CF)

2) User-replacable battery. You can switch the batteries easily with the MD units, but not with hard drive units, which you have to recharge every day, and pay big bucks to replace it in a couple of years.

2) My collection isn't big, so switching discs won't be a problem for me

3) If a MD gets damaged, it too is easily replacable. A hard disc is screwed if its damaged.

4) Amazing battery life. Way better then Hard Drive players by far.

For me, having the ability to upload songs (for the purpose of sharing) is pointless. You'd need to carry around the player, USB cable and power cable with you. Just burn the mp3's onto a few CD-R's, since everyone has a CD drive.

The only thing that would make this new gen of Hi-MD players more perfect is no DRM, and direct drag and drop, as well as bigger discs.

I will be sticking with my NH1 because:

Most of the music i store on MD is ripped straight from CD, therefore no real need for MP3 Playback.

Build quality as i see it is far superior in NH1 to 2nd Gen (Made by Sony Japan vs Made in Malaysia)

Love the metalic case... 2nd Gen is plastic.

kardon i see in your avatar the rh910 is silver looking, unless i've mistaken it for a rh10, does anyone know if the colour will be avaliable cause i prefer it over the black gray colour

I just found that pic floating around, I would imagine they would have more than 1 color, they almost always do.