Will You Buy A 2nd Generation Hi-md Unit?

Rate this topic

Skradgee

Will you buy a 2nd Generation Hi-MD unit?  

1. 1. Will you buy a 2nd Generation Hi-MD unit?

• Yes! Finially, MP3 playback!
    • No. I don't need the feature that badly.

Same here. I couldn't care less about mp3 support, since I can transfer them already with SonicStage (gasp! I don't hates the nassty softwares! ph34r.gif )

OLED and 32 hrs playback, on the contrary... rolleyes.gif hmmmm...

edit: not that I'd use it 32 hours in a row, of course, but still... biggrin.gif

Edited by averroes

Guest tony wong

thx romb for ur answer

well, for the question....

no, I will only be consider Hi-MD when it abandon its bulky size

I just can't imagine buying a new MD/Hi-MD player, that is same bulky as my previous E35

I don't need MP3 support. People attract the attention for MP3.

Some models of 2nd generation Hi-MD unit with compatible MP3 that it's better and comfortable.

The top model 2nd generation Hi-MD dosen't MP3 support instead of basic model Hi-MD with MP3 playback like The Stamp.

It wants many models 2nd generation Hi-MD to us (top MZ-RHxxx or PCM-RHxxx + basic MZ-NHxxx + business MZ-BHxxx). I prefer all type of recording: Atrac, MDLP, PCM, MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, OGG Vorbis and data file (FAT) on Hi-MD unit.

Example: Basic models MZ-NH600D and MZ-N510 would've 2nd generation Hi-MD with MP3 playback support like NetMD and MZ-xxxD.

Top models MZ-N10 and MZ-R900 would've 2nd generation Hi-MD without MP3 like live recording with PCM support or audiophiles.

I would like new top model MZ-RH1 (or PCM-RH1) and and MZ-RHF20 and basic model MZ-NH620D (MP3 support) and MZ-NH520D (MP3 support).

The model Hi-MD 1-bit of Sharp would be IM-DHxxx (NetMD and MP3 support) and MD-DHxxx (dosen't MP3 support).

Because people are accustom little PCM or Atrac and want to buy new 2nd generation Hi-MD with MP3 support.

I'm not going to get a 2nd generation device, at least not immediately. At the very least I'm going to wait for all you beta testers early adopters to weed all the problems out with the hardware and software.

Besides, I just shelled out for the NHF800 and have started dumping my CD collection in SonicSuck.

Yes, but not for MP3 support. OLED and the increased battery life are my major attractors.

Also, a new feature the second generation HIMDs (atleast the MZ-RH10) will have is USB 2.0. That will make PC to HIMD transfers significantly faster. USB 2.0 is 40X faster than 1.1 one, but obviously it won't get that much faster, the Himd's can only write so fast anyway, but it will help

Also, a new feature the second generation HIMDs (atleast the MZ-RH10)  will have is USB 2.0.  That will make PC to HIMD transfers significantly faster.  USB 2.0 is 40X faster than 1.1 one, but obviously it won't get that much faster, the Himd's can only write so fast anyway, but it will help

actually it wouldnt change the write speed at all

HiMD at its max is well below USB1.1 at its max, USB2.0 would just leave extra room for... nothing

Although if/when Sony ever comes out with higher density discs it should also boost the write speed. Same size but a higher density means more info in a smaller spot means able to write more data to the same spot = higher write speed

I will be getting a unit just for the durability - in my travels I have seen a number of dropped ipods that no longer function. All I will say is that my 8 year old handles my equipment as well, and has never broken a minidisc yet. I am going to keep my 1st gen unit since it has replaceable batteries (ever get stuck in an airport and have all of the AC outlets taken?) as well as probably getting another (hopefully cheaper by then) 1st gen unit for my father since I send him quite a few disks every month of lectures and OTR.

actually it wouldnt change the write speed at all

HiMD at its max is well below USB1.1 at its max, USB2.0 would just leave extra room for... nothing

Although if/when Sony ever comes out with higher density discs it should also boost the write speed. Same size but a higher density means more info in a smaller spot means able to write more data to the same spot = higher write speed

Are you sure? Maybe they did do something different besides that to make it faster, how do you know for sure that it is false? or maybe its only faster when it comes to using the Hi MD as a removable storage drive for data. Or maybe it transfers TO the computer faster, it can read faster than usb 1.1 . Where did you here that it is B.S from?

Are you sure?  Maybe they did do something different besides that to make it faster, how do you know for sure that it is false?  or maybe its only faster when it comes to using the Hi MD as a removable storage drive for data.  Or maybe it transfers TO the computer faster, it can read faster than usb 1.1 .  Where did you here that it is B.S from?

Write speed in MD system has an upper limit-because the laser needs to heat the disk,magnet needs to polarize it etc. There is a limit to how quickly you can do this, especially if you are limiting the output of the alser,which you want to do for 2 reasons: lower laser output=longer battery life (good thing on a portable unit), lower laser output=longer life of laser diode.

the max. write speeds are known (I think there might be an article on the website somewhere that outlines them) and thos is well below USB2.0 speed. But you might be right about uploads-which would be good, but then only for those of us who tape our own work, and Sony does like ignoring us, so I'm not sure they'd do it for that alone.

?eter

Are you sure?  Maybe they did do something different besides that to make it faster, how do you know for sure that it is false?  or maybe its only faster when it comes to using the Hi MD as a removable storage drive for data.  Or maybe it transfers TO the computer faster, it can read faster than usb 1.1 .  Where did you here that it is B.S from?

its a limitation imposed on by both the hardware and MO media in general. It's been well known since the first incarnation of HiMD that the USB1.1 ceiling is still much larger than the transfer speed.

Even if you think of it this way:

HiMD can play PCM files.

PCM runs at 1141kbps or (1141/8) approx. 142.625KB/s. This makes sense since a CD-ROM 1x drive runs at 150KB/s (giving it just enough speed to read the audio from a CD.) Therefore HiMD must also be able to read at 150KB/s but also faster so that it can fill the memory buffer.

USB1.1's max is somewhere around 11mbps (which is theoretical and therefore never actually reached in a practical setting). 11mbps ~ 1.375MB/s

Figuring that you'll get maybe half the speed they say is the theoretical limitation that gives you around 688KB/s bandwidth from USB1.1.

In my own experiments I have found that you can get anywhere from 200-almost 800KB/s 'transfer' speed to a HiMD device but with a much lower write speed. What this means is the cache RAM of the HiMD device can be filled at a rate of 200-800KB/s. If you do a quick search on the Internet (or do your own experiments) you can find that the time it takes for you to transfer a file and then wait until the REC message dissappears is much greater and thus the actual write speed must be that much lower.

In conclusion (if you're still with me here) even though the transfer to the HiMD device is relatively quick the time it takes to complete a disc write (not to mention if it has to seek to a free location mid-write) is very large. MO media is slow and in that way needs nowhere close to USB1.1's max transfer abilities let alone 2.0

Guest NRen2k5

Yes, but not entirely for the MP3 support.

The RH10 is one sexy peice of metal...

Finally, a backlit screen on the unit, and the interface looks awesome. I could go on forever...I was going to get a shiny new iPod Photo untill I saw the RH10.

Another I-Pod? You're kidding, right? I can understand owning several different MD units because of the different designs, but owning two I-Pod's which are nearly identical just strikes me as lame. Edited by NRen2k5

Interesting results on the poll, surprised to see so many here not interested in mp3. Truly a sign of changing times and persual of higher resolution codecs.

I wouldn't say that I'm not interested in MP3 as much as Sony took their sweet time getting to this point. I wish I had the cash outlay to upgrade right when the new equipment comes up, but I don't. If I plunk down the money for a piece of equipment, I'm generally married to how it works for awhile...

Edited by MAVickers

hey,besides the visual display and mp3 capabilities adn the little cosmetic differences, what is the difference between the RH10 and the NH1 as far as recording quality, amp power, playback quality. i mean it seems to me that besdies these cosmetic differences the genral piece is the same. they all have the same inputs and usb capabilites less teh 2.0 difference, and its seems the yall encode and play back in the same format. is there any quality differecne in the volume of the digital amp or the eq or the acutal sound? i havent bought one yet but its like, if there is no difference as far as sound quality why purchase one that has mp3 format adn just a different display?...

Yeah i imagine that i will be getting a 2nd gen himd, i like the new display on the rh10 and one of the main things that has kept me from getting the nh1 was that it couldnt have a AA boost pack attached so the added playback and recording time is definately a bonus. although i would still record the majority of tracks in atrac i think that mp3 wma wav compatability will be a good thing and may come in handy as it'll theoretically save transfer time if i just want to throw something on the player and go. but as has been said id like to find out a little more about them before shelling out.