Mz Nh1 Crash

Rate this topic

jmcken82

hey,

I've had my mz nh1 for quite a while now but recently it's started playing up a bit. Whenever I've been working and I have it in my pocket, actually sometimes even when it's sitting on the desk, it decided every so often to reset itself.

I don't lose any data or anything but it's just annoying cus I'll be listening to music and it'll stop and the wee picture comes up on the remote as if i've just put in a new disc.

Any ideas what the problem is?

maybe check the terminals on the battery. have a look in the ,manual to find out where it is. i've never seen anyone else with this problem so maybe if that's no help take it back to the place of purchase or call a sony service centre.

good luck & keep us udated.

• 4 weeks later...

It happened to me too. It is a rare behaviour but it happens. Being rare, it is difficult to relate it to a particular context, and to understand why it happens.

I cannot say if it is related to the disc... sometimes I thought the reset could be an answer to an unexpected error when reading from the disc.

Last time it happened it did it twice within 15 minutes... the same HI-Md disc, different points of it. I was standing, going to work... no mechanical shocks. Certainly a software issue.

I look forward to an unpdate... moreover, if they will be able to let it digest natively MP3s as well I will be happy.

Giacecco

Edited by giacecco

The only problem I've had with my MZ-NH1 is that every once in awhile, tracks will record with small bits of silence throughout the track. This can happen either when I'm recordinng from Sonicstage or from Mic-in. My hunch is that this is because of a defragmented disc. When I tried another disc after having that problem recording of microphones, that problem went away. Strange.

Has anyone else had a problem like this with their Hi-MD player?

• 2 weeks later...

The resets have become so frequent that I can't actually use the minidisc.

I have tried if they happen without using the remote, and they do. I tried not to move the minidisc at all while listening, and they happened again.

Moreover I now live in the UK, but I bought the stuff when I was in Italy: will my guarantee be valid if I give it to fix it?

Giacecco

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah i have it for quite some time now and ive been using it alot (avg 3 - 4 days a week @ 3 or 4 hours/day)

Ive been getting random resets sometimes from the same song or even on shuffle mode. It could be the disc but its brand new gen 2 disc so its possible that it could be data corruption also :unsure:

The only way i could fix this is by removing the battery for at least 10 - 15 mins. Then reinsert it. Its been working great so far so heres " HoPinG ^_~ "

Any one else with this problem ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, unfortunatly it seems i have the same problem with my MZ-NH1 crashing :( The problem started yesterday and it crashed 4 times in the space of 1.5 hours, then this morning it crashed twice on the way to work, it has to be the most annoying thing in the world :angry: I brought my MZ-NH1 around 7 months now so it is still under its guarantee, i guess i will send it to try and be fixed but while its there i will have no music :o Has anyone had a successful outcome with theirs being fixed or does this appear to be a lost cause?

Hello all, unfortunatly it seems i have the same problem with my MZ-NH1 crashing :( The problem started yesterday and it crashed 4 times in the space of 1.5 hours, then this morning it crashed twice on the way to work, it has to be the most annoying thing in the world :angry: I brought my MZ-NH1 around 7 months now so it is still under its guarantee, i guess i will send it to try and be fixed but while its there i will have no music :o Has anyone had a successful outcome with theirs being fixed or does this appear to be a lost cause?

1) Disconnect (remove) the battery completely for about 30 mins to completely reset the device.

2) If you've got one of those Minidisc Lens and Head cleaners (2 different devices) use them both. One cleans the recording "head" and the other cleans the laser.

3) you should now find the device as good as new.

Any slight dust etc on the laser will cause tracking errors. It's the same with CD's, DVD's etc.

If you can't find the Minidisc laser / head cleaning kits any more you can use pec-pads and clean it yourself BUT DO IT CAREFULLY.

We often use similar tools in cleaning sensors / Lenses in professional digital cameras.

A can of compressed air is also a useful tool for getting microscopic dust out of the machine.

Don't press hard on the laser - it's a precision device and easiliy damaged.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

• 1 year later...

1) Disconnect (remove) the battery completely for about 30 mins to completely reset the device.

2) If you've got one of those Minidisc Lens and Head cleaners (2 different devices) use them both. One cleans the recording "head" and the other cleans the laser.

3) you should now find the device as good as new.

Any slight dust etc on the laser will cause tracking errors. It's the same with CD's, DVD's etc.

If you can't find the Minidisc laser / head cleaning kits any more you can use pec-pads and clean it yourself BUT DO IT CAREFULLY.

We often use similar tools in cleaning sensors / Lenses in professional digital cameras.

A can of compressed air is also a useful tool for getting microscopic dust out of the machine.

Don't press hard on the laser - it's a precision device and easiliy damaged.

Cheers

-K

I'm from Spain and started having this very problem one year ago, just one year and a half, aprox., after buying it new. I've tried by my own some of the suggestions given here, even not having read them before: replacing and recharging battery, cleaning battery contacts, formating Hi-MD Disc and transfering again music into it.

It's really annoying this behaviour because it's absolutely unexpected and random. You can have a nice playing for a whole day and the next one you can despair with this resets while playing for 30 minutes at least.

I have to try these two new suggestions and I'll write here my experience.

Thanks!

Wow. These are the exact two problems I've had with my NH1. I bought it just over a year ago from my brother, who'd had it for a year but not used it much.

hey,

I've had my mz nh1 for quite a while now but recently it's started playing up a bit. Whenever I've been working and I have it in my pocket, actually sometimes even when it's sitting on the desk, it decided every so often to reset itself.

I don't lose any data or anything but it's just annoying cus I'll be listening to music and it'll stop and the wee picture comes up on the remote as if i've just put in a new disc.

Any ideas what the problem is?

This is precisely what started happening to me. I haven't tried cleaning anything internal, but after reading this thread - http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=18187 - I used a pencil eraser to shine up the contacts on the battery itself, and now the problem occurs much less often, very rarely in fact. So I would definitely recommend trying it. (Of course, it may simply be that having the battery removed for the time it took to do this was the real solution. ;) I couldn't say.)

The only problem I've had with my MZ-NH1 is that every once in awhile, tracks will record with small bits of silence throughout the track. This can happen either when I'm recordinng from Sonicstage or from Mic-in. My hunch is that this is because of a defragmented disc. When I tried another disc after having that problem recording of microphones, that problem went away. Strange.

Has anyone else had a problem like this with their Hi-MD player?

This is the thing that really freaked me out. I've been meaning to post about this for a while, to see if anyone else has experienced similar difficulties. When I first got the NH1, I filled three 1GB discs with tracks recorded in Hi-SP via optical cable. When listening back to one of them one day, the sound disappeared for about 10 seconds during one song. When the sound came back the song was still going, 10 seconds further on, as if nothing had happened, i.e. it didn't pick up again where it left off. I remember the same thing happened on one other occasion – I'm afraid I don't recall whether it was on the same disc or not. The whole thing was very *disconcerting* indeed, because I'd never used 1GB discs before and I didn't know if maybe they just weren't reliable, or if my NH1 was faulty or damaged. (I've only just started using the 1GB discs again after buying a new RH1, and I'm happy to say I haven't had any problems.)

This afternoon I dug out the disc that had the problem, popped it in the NH1, and listened again to the track I remember cutting out. The same thing happened in the same place. What I also noticed this time, however, was a great deal of clicking and whirring coming from the machine right from the beginning of the song – much more than is normal. Bizarrely, these noises actually stopped long before the point where the sound cut out. I have no idea what this problem is, and I am very interested to know if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. The only thing that I can think is that it is a fragmentation issue. I have a feeling that when recording this Hi-MD I used the move, divide, set, release etc. functions quite a lot, trying to get everything just where I wanted it on a disc that was bigger than any I'd used before. So maybe I was just asking the System File to remember too much, or telling it too many things at one time. Is this even possible? I would have thought you'd have to do a lot of editing before this would ever be an issue.

The same thing happened in the same place. What I also noticed this time, however, was a great deal of clicking and whirring coming from the machine right from the beginning of the song – much more than is normal. Bizarrely, these noises actually stopped long before the point where the sound cut out.

was probably just the unit buffering the audio in its shock-resistant memory before playback, which explains why you heard the clicking and whirring well before the silence gap

Yes, my NH1 unfortunately randomly resets itself at times when recording. I have never been able to duplicate the issue, and of course it popped up just at the end of my warranty. I probably should've sent it back to Sony but it is so hard to replicate I could see them telling me it was fine and shipping it right back (or possibly in even worse shape).

Others have noticed this issue, but it's been a while. There were a small group of us. Sometimes the NH1 works fine for hours, sometimes it dies after 15 minutes (it just freezes up, turns off, and you lose your recording. It really sucks). Since I had that problem I've done much more extensive tests/recordings with an RH1 and RH910 and have never had similar problems, so I'm kind of mad I never returned it for repair.

Edited by Justin42

I have never experienced the problem you are having, but I was getting some weird resets on track to track. I reformatted HiMD disc and it never happened again.

I always reformat any new HiMD disc that I purchase before using. I have no idea of what device was used in manufacturing to format. All FAT is not the same.