Copy

Rate this topic

I tried recording from a DVD player to my MZ-NH900 but the copyright popped up. Tried changing output to PCM instead of DTS but no dice. Anyone know if there is any hardware or anyway to use an optical cable and get a digital recording? (I tried recording a zeppelin music DVD, but ended up recording analog) thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Sweden, almost every audio CD use copy protection today (Cactus Data Shield or alike), so I can't rip my discs in the computer and transfer that way. mad.gif

I've been using analogue outputs on my DVD-player to copy these CDs to my MD. Optical cable won't work.

A SCMS stripper would have been really cool, but can't seem to find any in Sweden. I'm not happy with importing either. sad.gif

So in Sweden you can't rip your cd's to your computers hard drive? That's crazy.

True.

It all started at the Napster era. To prevent piracy, record companies (EMI, Sony, Universal, Warner, BMG) added illegal TOCs and CRC errors to CDs.

The discs are forbidden by Philips to be called CDs since they don't follow red book standard. There is no Compact Disc logo at the disc - instead they've started to use this logo:

user posted image

Most swedes has a broadband connection to the Internet (from 0.5 to 10 Megabit per second) and download mp3s from file sharing networks. Sales went down and when these copy protections were introduced - cd sales went down even more. The disc covers claim the discs are readable by normal audio CD players, SACD players and DVD players. But not only CD-ROM/DVD-ROM devices have difficulty reading these discs! Some car stereos, some portable cd players and some DVD players have problems too.

I just bought a disc that I couldn't play in any DVD player I could find in store. Finally, my parents thirteen year old cheap CD player could read it - but the sound quality of that player should not be discussed... Then I downloaded the songs from DC++... just to find out that nobody has been able to do an error free rip. Clicks and pops are heard every minute.

The worst thing isn't that copy protection doesn't prevent illegal pirate copies. MP3s are on the Internet anyway. The worst thing is that it prevents legal personal copying like MD players. And it does not end. Now we're stuck in the land of DRM too...

NERO can sucessfully rip tracks from the EMI copy-controlled CDs, the logo of which you posted above. (I just ripped one myself!) This, however, depends on the cd drive you have. Usually CD burners are sucessfull at ripping the tracks like this.

Otherwise, I believe the program Exact Audio Copy has an option to force detection of the CDs CDA TOC when using a copy-controlled CD.

The trick is that these types of CDs have an encrypted TOC. Regular Audio CD players ignore this, and play the CD as if it were a normal audio cd. Other CD players, computer drives, dvd drives, and MP3 CD players are designed to work with other types of disc, and so have trouble reading the disc. On a CD-ROM drive for example, usually only the DATA portion of the disc is recognised.

This, however, depends on the cd drive you have. Usually CD burners are sucessfull at ripping the tracks like this.

I've got a Sony DRU-510 DVD+-RW. EAC won't even find my DVD recorder, though I've tried ASPI and all other drivers.

Adobe Audition, Wavelab and Easy CD-DA Extractor do find the drive, but the tracks contain skips and pops every now and then!! mad.gif

Yes, the TOC is perfectly read though this mess. But the error correction inside the audio tracks is mocking up too much!

I usually don't have any problems with Nero. But I do know about the skips and pops you are refering to, and yes, unfortunatley it still depends on the drive - my LITEON external CD burner can read the dics fine.

At the end of the day, the best option is to record via realtime - that's what I end up doing these days.

EDIT: Just a thought - with HI-MD you could do a digital recording in PCM, upload the tracks in SS, convert to un-DRMed WAV using Marc's Renderer, and then burn to an audio cd - free of any copy-control garbage.

Edited by zerodB

EDIT: Just a thought - with HI-MD you could do a digital recording in PCM, upload the tracks in SS, convert to un-DRMed WAV using Marc's Renderer, and then burn to an audio cd - free of any copy-control garbage.

I'm doing analogue playing -> PCM recording of most of my cds, since I don't have a SCMS stripper. Wish I had one.

But here's the next problem:

Some cds can't be read by either computer or my standalone DVD player. Nero and all other programs says "No disc in drive". =(

Wasn't one of these stupid CD copy protection schemes defeated by using a marker to black out the inner or outer edge of the CD? I thought Sony had developed the protection scheme too...  biggrin.gif

That's far from todays copy protection schemes!

You're referring to the first discs that had an empty data session at the end of the disc. Though you couldn't see the .cda files in the Explorer, the audio cd was still untouched and could be ripped like any other cd - if you used cd ripping software... wink.gif Painting with markers on the disc were unnecessary...

Back to topic and SCMS...

The Behringer Ultramatch SRC 2000 could remove SCMS, but isn't made any longer. Their "follow up product" is Ultramatch Pro SRC-2496, but does it remove SCMS like SRC 2000 did?

one of the easy ways that i have been able to record in digitally is using the playstation 2 digital out jack. i tried recording audio from a music dvd with the dvd player deck and it said no copy, so i placed it on the ps2 and sure enough i got digital in and recorded it well. try it. it works.

Edited by hotsauce

Funny thing I just discovered about the EMI copy-control discs - some of them have SCMS, and some don't...

I chucked one disc into my MD bookshelf, and get a "no-copy" error. I chuck a later disc BY THE SAME ARTIST in, and it can dub without a problem... strange...

Anyhow, the SCMS and Cd-copy protect was easily defeated by me. Just ripped the tracks to WAV in nero, and then burned a new disc!

• 4 weeks later...

The Behringer Ultramatch SRC 2000 could remove SCMS, but isn't made any longer. Their "follow up product" is Ultramatch Pro SRC-2496, but does it remove SCMS like SRC 2000 did?

No one knows? unsure.gif

I want to buy a SCMS stripper!! Where can I find them? I live in Sweden, but I'll import from Europe or US if needed. mellow.gif

Hmm, the ps2 optical thing, does it work only on audio, or dvds? can you record directly from games? Because I tried recording from my pstwo [slim], and it gives me the no copy message. Maybe its because im recording from a game?

-Sulk

That's right. The PS2 automatically adds SCMS if it detects a PS1 or PS2 game in the drive, even through the browser.

CD's don't generate SCMS, AFAIK.

I have a SCMS stripper that I no longer use. It is a Friend Chip D 4-2 Copy Con. It's in Perfect Condition!

It has 1x Optical In, 3x Coax In, 1x Optical Out, 1x Coax Out.

It will completely strip SCMS and also will pass track marks from CD.

Anyway I am willing to sell this just PM me and make an offer. I do not have a power supply for it though. It requires a 6V/500mA Input.

EDIT:

Information

Picture of back

Edited by Ryzir

• 4 weeks later...

The Let It Be - Naked CD is "copy protected" as well and I was really angry after receiving it as a gift to find that my MD bookshelf refused to copy it. Turns out it was easy enough to mount on the computer and just copy the .wav files from a directory on the CD to my harddrive and then burn a normal PCM CD from it. I then returned the "copy protected" version.

This is only time I've advocated "piracy." If I buy a CD I expect to be able to do normal things like copy it to my chosen recording format so I can play it on the go or in my car. I will never buy anything that doesn't have the CD Digital Audio logo on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried recording from a DVD player to my MZ-NH900 but the copyright popped up.  Tried changing output to PCM instead of DTS but no dice.  Anyone know if there is any hardware or anyway to use an optical cable and get a digital recording?  (I tried recording a zeppelin music DVD, but ended up recording analog)  thanks a lot.

I've posted a method of doing this

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=10622

also do a google for DVD-decrypter if you get stuck --this will rip the dvd sound to wav so you can do anything you like with it -- can't post the mirrors due to the "Internet Gestapo" but following threads from HERE http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11914 you should be able to find it --but be quick.

Actually a "Copy Protected" CD shouldn't be called a CD at all -- under the original Philips patent a CD had NO copy protection -- and if it says CD and is copy protected you should be able to get your money back as it's legally NOT A CD.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Here in Finland we have same problem with copy protections. For copy protected cd's, use Exactaudiocopy. I've never had problem with any copy protected cd's since I started using it. It's amazing audio ripper!

Copy protection makes ripping much slower with my NEC-3500AG DVD-burner, but it no way affect the audio quality.