Record From Optical Md To Computer

Rate this topic

JakeyShakes

Hi,

I'm trying to import a record I have made on MD onto my computer with a digital optical link. The link is up and running great, but I don't know what software to use?? I want to record the files in wav or aiff but I really need to keep the tracks which are on the MD. I know stand-alone CD recorders do this (sync-recording) so surely there is a program that does it?? Isn't there??? Any help would be great! I'm a little stuck here....

Thanks,

Jake

Unless you have a minidisc deck, you don't have an optical out on your MD. You're going have to record the sound coming out of the headphone jack.

It's all here.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7073

If you do have an optical out deck, just make sure in Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio that your recording input is via the optical in.

Unless you have a minidisc deck, you don't have an optical out on your MD. You're going have to record the sound coming out of the headphone jack.

It's all here.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7073

If you do have an optical out deck, just make sure in Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio that your recording input is via the optical in.

I have an MD deck with optical out, as I said in my question. My question isn't how to upload music to the computer, I'm asking if there is software that uploads with the track marks intacked? eg. I have an recorded MD with 40 tracks, the software will upload the MD onto the computer with 40 separate tracks.

Sorry if my question was unclear?

Jake

• 4 months later...

I have an MD deck with optical out, as I said in my question. My question isn't how to upload music to the computer, I'm asking if there is software that uploads with the track marks intacked? eg. I have an recorded MD with 40 tracks, the software will upload the MD onto the computer with 40 separate tracks.

Sorry if my question was unclear?

Jake

Your question wasn't at all unclear, and I'm dying to know the same thing. Please, anyone? Win NMD won't do the trick because we're talking about non-NetMD material here -- a digital optical output on an MD deck into a computer's digital optical input. I want the computer to listen for track marks on each MD and create a new file for each.

Unfortunately, it's like recording from the radio, and can't be left unattended. Meaning, there will be no track marks copied, because all the computer will be doing is record a digital stream coming to the computer from the MD.

A better solution might be using a HI-MD, record from the optical out using PCM (if you don't want quality loss) and upload, and then use Hi-MD Renderer to free it from Sony's cursed DRM.

Unfortunately, it's like recording from the radio, and can't be left unattended. Meaning, there will be no track marks copied, because all the computer will be doing is record a digital stream coming to the computer from the MD.

A better solution might be using a HI-MD, record from the optical out using PCM (if you don't want quality loss) and upload, and then use Hi-MD Renderer to free it from Sony's cursed DRM.

Thanks but you're forgetting that whenever a CD player is connected to a MD recorder's optical input, track marks are passed along electronically FROM the CD bitstream, and the MD recorder understands it. (Indeed, even when the music is continuous without a silent break, the track mark gets recorded.) So no, it's not like recording from the radio, and the only question is what PC application "listens" for the track marks that clearly get passed through S/PDIF. I've searched this forum quite extensively and found no answer.

I don't know about software to pick up the track marks while recording. However, there is a program called CDWave

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

that will detect silences (you can select length) between tracks and split the one long .wav file for you, or allow you to insert your own splits.

It's not the ideal solution you're looking for, and it's obviously not going to automatically split gapless CDs (though looking at the waveform gives you a pretty good idea of how to find the different songs), but it's not bad.

I don't know about software to pick up the track marks while recording. However, there is a program called CDWave

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

that will detect silences (you can select length) between tracks and split the one long .wav file for you, or allow you to insert your own splits.

It's not the ideal solution you're looking for, and it's obviously not going to automatically split gapless CDs (though looking at the waveform gives you a pretty good idea of how to find the different songs),  but it's not bad.

Thanks, but I use Sony Sound Forge for silence detection paired with Sony CD Architect. Still looking for a better solution that reads the track marks in the bitstream. Frustrating since we know it's there!

Thanks but you're forgetting that whenever a CD player is connected to a MD recorder's optical input, track marks are passed along electronically FROM the CD bitstream, and the MD recorder understands it.  (Indeed, even when the music is continuous without a silent break, the track mark gets recorded.)  So no, it's not like recording from the radio, and the only question is what PC application "listens" for the track marks that clearly get passed through S/PDIF.  I've searched this forum quite extensively and found no answer.

Hmm, did you find the thread(s) regarding why (unfortunately) you won't get track marking to/from a PC? That thread might be over at the T-Board though... But the short of it is that PCs neither "understand"/interpret track marks in the S/PDIF stream (they go ignored) nor are they capable of outputting track marks via S/PDIF either. It's like has been said here--you have to monitor it on your own and start/stop recording appropriately. There is no application that will pick up track marks (I'm pretty sure it is a hardware limitation). Sorry.