Violin Lessons Recording

Rate this topic

Von Recklinhausen

Dear sirs: after some long sessions reading about minidisc topics, I am now fully convinced that a minidisc is what I need for recording violin lessons and classical music concerts. I am decided to buy a MZ-NH1 (I don't mind about MP-3 compatibility, just about live recording). My doubt is what microphone is the best for my needs. I have in mind four models:

-SP-SPSM-17

-AT-Pro 24

-SP-SPSM-2

-SP-Otter-1

I haven't read any oppinion about the SP-Otter-1. I think it is a great idea to have an omnidirectional microphones incorporated in an Otter box, specially for concert recording without be seen. Please, if any of you have used it, let me know. I am opened to any other suggestions. Any oppinion is welcome, even to recommend me not to write again in english until I learn it correctly.

Thank you very much to all of you. I have discovered minidisc and its possibilities through your contributions to this forum.

Hello. I play violin like you, and record my lessons and performances with a MZ-NH1. The mic I use is Sony ECM-MS907 (directly plugged into the MD recoder), or two Sennheiser e835 plugged into a mixer, whose line out goes in the line in of the MD recorder. The latter configuration I use when recording violin duets together with a friend of mine. The Sony mic is just an amateur one; the Sennheiser ones are not the best for string instruments (they are more vocal-oriented), but they are good enough for me. Other people will surely advice you about the mics you mention. However, I am happy to have found here another violin player using a MD recorder. smile.gif

The Audio-Technica microphone only picks up bass notes down to 100 Hz, around the G on the bottom line of the bass (F) clef. The 20-20,000 Hz microphones from Sound Professionals go two octaves lower. That won't matter for violin lessons, but it will make a difference for orchestral recordings.

None of the microphones you mention are particularly stealthy if you're trying to use them at a classical music concert. You're going to have to hold them in your hand or (the Otter box) on your lap, which is not a good place for the mics--you'll get muffled sound because all the seats are between the stage and your lap. Also, you would be opening the Otter box, turning on the recorder and closing the box--pretty obvious.

If stealth is really important to you, then look at smaller mics, like the ones on this page:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...tegory/110/mics

or similar products from www.microphonemadness.com, www.reactivesounds.com, and www.core-sound.com

Another advantage to a small pair of stereo microphones as opposed to the one-point microphones you are considering is that you will get better stereo separation if you separate them and put them as far apart as your ears. A live orchestral concert with unamplified instruments is one place that stereo separation will greatly enhance your recording.

Hello, i play classical percussion and frequently record myself with my NH900 as well as some classical concerts. I just recieved a SP-PSM-5( click here to view) but i have not yet recorded with it. Earlier recordings i have made have been with the ecm 907( which i believe also only goes down to 80Hz) so i am anxious to compare the two and i will let you know how it goes when i get to.

I thought that the compactness of this model, as well as the having the battery already included worked the best for me for "stealth" situations. The same mic can be found here: SP-PSM-6 but w/o the altoids box which, i have to say, i enjoyed although the cord does not seem to be very long so you might want to opt for the other model b/c you can pick the cord length, i believe.

Edited by burnsie17

I´m very grateful to you three answering my question.

Corien: I'm sorry to disappoint you. I`m not really a violin player. They are my daughters, eight and five years old, who are learning to play (Suzuki violin school), and I would like to record lessons and rehearsals. When they began with violin playin, I thought I would be able to learn myself, and I even bought a violin for me, but I have barely played "twinkle, twinkle, little star" and little more. Sorry I won't be able to play duets with you, which would be a wonderful experience.

From your answers, I infer that I'm not in the right way. The Sony ECM-MS907 or any of the microphones I mention would be fine for recording lessons, but not for concerts recording. Thank you, A440, for breaking my initial plan. I suppose that the micro I need is a two-point stereo, but the answer is: omnidirectional stereo, cardiod or binaural? By the way, are you also musician?

Burnsie17: I will be very happy if you let me know the results with your new micro. One more question: the microphones you recomend me are powered microphones, which I had not in mind. Do you think is necessary a powered micro for recording classical music (specially ancient music, interpreted by little ensembles)?

Corien: I'm sorry to disappoint you. I`m not really a violin player. They are my daughters, eight and five years old, who are learning to play (Suzuki violin school), and I would like to record lessons and rehearsals.

I'm not disappointed. smile.gif Recording lessons and practice sessions can be really useful: re-listening to them can be instructive to spot wrong notes or faulty passages you were not aware of while playing. I think MD recorder is really good for that as far as fidelity and storage capacity are concerned. However, a good microphone does make the difference.

Omnidirectional and binaural are the same thing. They hear like your ears (aural) in all directions (omni). If you're recording a classical concert in a room with good acoustics--if it sounds good to your two ears--then binaurals will do your job.

Cardioids are directional, and useful if you're surrounded by noise (as at a rock concert) and want to point them at a sound source. For your purposes, you don't need to spend the extra cash on them.

Take a look at the little mic pairs on the page I linked in the other post, and try whatever is within your budget. Even the cheapest BMC-2's, which Sound Professionals also puts up on Ebay for just $29 now and then, sound quite good. Powering the mics is supposed to improve their response and make them more flexible for recording very loud sounds, but that would be unnecessary for a concert of, say, madrigals or motets.

Try recording with just the mics and see if you're satisfied. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. It's certainly good enough for violin lessons and it should give you good fidelity for an acoustic ensemble. You can always add a battery module later.

And although I wouldn't call myself a musician now, I have been one: hence my name.

I would have to agree w/ A440 in that you probably won't need a powered mic for that situation but i would say that if you are planning to or decide to do some recording of something louder(you might as well, you have the recorder, right?) then it would be nice to already have it. I just prefer these models because you don't have to lug around a battery module also, but that's just me.

I have played for some suzuki concerts so i know that they have percussion occasionally and big(ger) ensambles which i don't know consititutes a "loud" situation but i just thought you should keep that in mind. Maybe A440 can help on that one.wink.gif

Also, you don't have to use the battery if you don't want to.smile.gif

• 2 months later...

Well, two months ago I got my MZ-NH1 (wonderful machine¡). Afterwards, I have purchased two microphones: a binaural stereo from Microphone Madness (MM-BSM-1) and a stereo Delta microphone fron Reactive Sounds. I am now performing my first recordings and updates to the PC. I will tell you about the results as soon as I can. Thanks again for your help and learned advice.

Hi,

Like you, I record an acoustic instrument- in my case guitar. Close enough for Paganinni, close enough for me.

I have the Audio Technica Pro 24. Not the best specs on the market, but a great sound. Flat, even response, slightly lacking in bass. Not a big deal for guitar, voice or, dare I suggest, violin.

The package is really good - windsock, clip adapter, battery, pouch. Nice.

My guess is this mic is really pitched at the camcorder market. It still does a fine job recording acoustic instruments.

For the price, there is IMHO not a better condenser out there. It beats the hell out of the Sony ECM-DS70P I got bundled with my NH1.

Hi,

Like you, I record an acoustic instrument- in my case guitar. Close enough for Paganinni, close enough for me.

I have the Audio Technica Pro 24. Not the best specs on the market, but a great sound. Flat, even response, slightly lacking in bass. Not a big deal for guitar, voice or, dare I suggest, violin.

The package is really good - windsock, clip adapter, battery, pouch. Nice.

My guess is this mic is really pitched at the camcorder market. It still does a fine job recording acoustic instruments.

For the price, there is IMHO not a better condenser out there. It beats the hell out of the Sony ECM-DS70P I got bundled with my NH1.

Good night, Classicalgas.

I was also very tempted to buy the Audio Technica Pro 24, but some people in the forum claimed against its limited frecuency response and A440 recommended me the more versatile binaural stereo microphones; more versatile because my intention is also to make live recordings of classical music. I hope tomorrow I'll make my first of such recordings, since I'll go to a concert of ancient music in Alcala de Henares, Miguel de Cervantes' natal city. The program is "Music in the age of Don Quijote". I'll report about the recording, and about the concert, if you are interested.