Can't copy from HD5 to hard disk

Rate this question

sonyk

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi it's my first post!!

I bought an HD5 2 weeks ago and have ripped my collection as ATRAC files to the player.  I'm trying to make a few playlists, but SonicStage doesn't let me copy the ATRAC files back to my hard disk.

Can someone help me with this?

No, you can't copy fiom the HD5 back to a pc. When you ripped your collection, you had to rip it to a pc and THEN transfer it to the HD5. You can't rip directly to the HD5. So, you need to go back to thaat pc that has the ripped songs and make playlists using SS

No, you can't copy fiom the HD5 back to a pc. When you ripped your collection, you had to rip it to a pc and THEN transfer it to the HD5. You can't rip directly to the HD5. So, you need to go back to thaat pc that has the ripped songs and make playlists using SS

I've only got a 20Gb hard drive, so I have deleted all the files I transferred to the HD5. Does this mean that I can't transfer some files back to my pc harddisk and create some playlists?

I've only got a 20Gb hard drive, so I have deleted all the files I transferred to the HD5.  Does this mean that I can't transfer some files back to my pc harddisk and create some playlists?

Yes. Before doing more ripping, you should read up on DRM and its limitations. The manual is a bit misleading on this. It does seem to suggest that you can transfer files back from the HD5 to the pc that originally ripped them. I don't think DRM allows this, and your experience supports that.

Yes. Before doing more ripping, you should read up on DRM and its limitations. The manual is a bit misleading on this. It does seem to suggest that you can transfer files back from the HD5 to the pc that originally ripped them. I don't think DRM allows this, and your experience supports that.

but I use SonicStage 3.2 and choose not to copy protect the ATRAC files when converting. I don't think the DRM is part of the problem???

I have has success transferring atrac files from a HD1 and HD3 to the PC. I haven't tried it on a HD5 though.

The way I did this I had both the computer & device authorized. Then I authorized another computer under the same account and plugged in the device. It let me upload to the computer but there were some restrictions on the files. They acted like a files bought off of Connect. The files wouldn't play on the second computer if I deauthorized it from Connect. So from the second computer the files were only transferable to devices authorized under the same account.