Sony Unveils New Hi-MD & NetMD Walkmans

indeego

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, back to the 80's or something?

whats the point of pushing netMD players when hi-md is backwards compatible (unless the latest ones dropped that)?

hmm, i would have loved to find a picture of that "psyc cd boombox" talked about as they sa you can hook it to a computer...

given the designs im guessing that the pysc brand referes to the expression "psyced up" or something. why? maybe its just me but the designes looks aimed at the skateboard and snowboard crowd. or any person that want to appear as if they are part of that crowd...

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get any joy searching for somewhere in Sweden that sells them yet?

I've had my fingers burned with import taxes before... mad.gif

Thanks kurisu.

What will the price be in USD? I know there's been some speculations, but is there an official suggested retail price in USD?

With the current currency exchange rates i would look for a canadian store to order from, if the US and Canadian prices are the same. But then again, with my latest loss of a NH-900 in the shipping from the US, i think i'll look for a Swedish etailer.

The new MDs from sony are a nice surprise. I wasn't expecting Sony to keep going with them. I'm not one to down play the new MDs but the MZ-DH10P/R is just too much.

The camera is a nice feature but how can the unit last when your taking pictures on a daily basis or whatever. I'll wait for someone to buy it and upload the pictures, seeing as I am curious about the quality of the pictures.

This is obviously a response to the popularity of the iPod, which I personally don't like. I'm tempted to replace my MZ-N10 with one of the newer 1 gig MDs but then I like to have a long battery life. btw what is the actual case made of out? Aluminum or Magnisium or even plastic?

I am curious if Sony will release a 2.3mp next year lol.

The new MDs from sony are a nice surprise. I wasn't expecting Sony to keep going with them. I'm not one to down play the new MDs but the MZ-DH10P/R is just too much.

The camera is a nice feature but how can the unit last when your taking pictures on a daily basis or whatever. I'll wait for someone to buy it and upload the pictures, seeing as I am curious about the quality of the pictures.

This is obviously a response to the popularity of the iPod, which I personally don't like. I'm tempted to replace my MZ-N10 with one of the newer 1 gig MDs but then I like to have a long battery life. btw what is the actual case made of out? Aluminum or Magnisium or even plastic?

I am curious if Sony will release a 2.3mp next year lol.

Welcome to MDCF!

If you haven't read the Interview with the MZ-DH10P/R's Developer; click here.

In addition, check out the second post of this thread for pictures taken with the DH10P/R. You will be pleasantly surprised - the picture quality is not bad at all considering its camera module is for recreational use.

As for materials of the housing, the DH10P/R is reported to have metal housing. Check out this thread and do watch out for MDfreak's translated DH10P/R Dutch review.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently bought the RH-10 for recording purposes as it seems the paired-down version is not available here in Japan... or at least I cannot find it. I must say... I am impressed with the hybrid crystals - if in the dark. I can see it even when shaking the bloody unit and in any angle it is as visible as if I were staring straight at the bloody thing.

That said, It is invisible in the daylight, absolutely impossible to see, making this unit, the first MD portable that actually NEEDS the remote. I usually store the easily-tangled remote away safely for future fiddlying, but with this unit, if I leave the house, I need it more than I need my glasses or mobile telephone etc.

Sound... a mixed bag. I do enjoy the regular playback of the device and the customizable eq. I have been a Sharp unit user for so long, I have forgotten what that was. I am able to get nice treble and bass equilization and am content. The problem exists with the output. It is weak and it sounds so. I believe it is 5mw * 5mw and after listening to my friend's iPod (30 * 30), I am a little underwhelmed. As well, wanting to ditch that and listen through my headphone amp and AT-AH700 headphones, I find not compression artifacts, but rather mechanical noise that filters through the headphone output of the unit. Slight insect-like scratching sounds.

However, I got this mofo to be my portable recorder, not to listen to music. It is just not fit for that... at least not in a quiet-enjoy-the-music-only setting. Bus, train, hired car, fine, but room or house, forget it.

Recording is its strenth. I love the ability to record in PCM mode and HI-SP is not too bad either. It is a loud unit, making connecting a non-remote mic a bit worrisome as it is bound to come up with engine noise. But, heading to concerts where it is dark and I do not want to show the world my remote unit, the screen comes in handy. Also, if connecting to a line (analogue or digital) the unit has very sharp synchro-recording... better than my auvi sharp's.

If you are doing most of your listening through Hi-Fi, not using this unit's onboard sound-processing, you are in for a treat, but don't take this thing out of doors or use it to listen through good equipment, you will only reveal too much of its flaws.

thats dope  biggrin.gif i might just have to get me one of those or maybe not just a bunch of hi-md minidisc's for my mz-n10.

Hi-MD-discs (1gig) only work in Hi-MD players, read the FAQ's please

• 3 months later...

user posted image

I am wondering if you know about this unit. I didnt find anything, so I thought I just post it here.

The japanese pressrelease:

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/200504/05-0413/

It is a Hi-MD Data Drive and only available in Japan. Does anybody have it?

There is a short note about it on the german www.netzwelt.de

http://www.netzwelt.de/news/70810-sony-ste...ufwerk-vor.html

user posted image

I am wondering if you know about this unit. I didnt find anything, so I thought I just post it here.

The japanese pressrelease:

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/200504/05-0413/

It is a Hi-MD Data Drive and only available in Japan. Does anybody have it?

There is a short note about it on the german www.netzwelt.de

http://www.netzwelt.de/news/70810-sony-ste...ufwerk-vor.html

It's simply an external drive but USB1.1 meaning sloooow. BTW is not only available in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

I was seriously going to look into a new Hi-MD this fall, or perhaps early spring since I listen to my MD nonstop to uni, at uni and coming back. Currently I own a MZ-N10, and I have a few complaints, one being the amount I can cram on it, I usually use LP2 and next, the battery life of the built-in Li-Ion battery. It is not what I expected, but then maybe i might need the battery replaced? Anyways, with the additional dry battery addon, there is a solution around it, but the unit works with first using the built in and then switching to the addon, if the built it dies before you stick the addon, you can't use the unit. :angry:

I would opt for a Hi-MD to get more music out of it, and with an addon dry cell available. That would be the MZ-RH10. But it comes with a poor remote here in canada from minidisc canada, but I can still use the one from my MZ-N10. But the RH10 is a bulkier unit and it's plastic. :(

Ever since I owned my Sony DE-J925, I've been hooked on metallic units, then moving onto the MZ-R900, I had no choice but to go with the MZ-N10. Anyways, I am holding out still on the Hi-MDs, but my question is this.

anyone know, if or when Sony will release the next line of Hi-MDs? would it be next spring? Anyone have preliminary info on them? Thanks.

I just bought the rebadged of MZ-RH910 and its called MZ-M10. I don't know if this is considered or what you mean by. I have been away from using minidisc and the reason I came back is because I had great deal with purchasing the M10 from Guitar Center close by where I live. The M10 was going for 329.00 plus tax but I was able to convinced the sale rep to bring down with tax included to 256.00 which I thought was great deal. I had a dilemma choosing between the Nano or return to MD. But I thought since this is mac compatible and does uncompressed recording, it would be worth a try and gamble again with minidisc. I have no regret yet because in a sense the M10 cost me only 200.00 and since this comes with Mic which cost between 70 or so it work out for me.

• 1 month later...

I was seriously going to look into a new Hi-MD this fall, or perhaps early spring since I listen to my MD nonstop to uni, at uni and coming back. Currently I own a MZ-N10, and I have a few complaints, one being the amount I can cram on it, I usually use LP2 and next, the battery life of the built-in Li-Ion battery. It is not what I expected, but then maybe i might need the battery replaced? Anyways, with the additional dry battery addon, there is a solution around it, but the unit works with first using the built in and then switching to the addon, if the built it dies before you stick the addon, you can't use the unit. :angry:

I would opt for a Hi-MD to get more music out of it, and with an addon dry cell available. That would be the MZ-RH10. But it comes with a poor remote here in canada from minidisc canada, but I can still use the one from my MZ-N10. But the RH10 is a bulkier unit and it's plastic. :(

Ever since I owned my Sony DE-J925, I've been hooked on metallic units, then moving onto the MZ-R900, I had no choice but to go with the MZ-N10. Anyways, I am holding out still on the Hi-MDs, but my question is this.

anyone know, if or when Sony will release the next line of Hi-MDs? would it be next spring? Anyone have preliminary info on them? Thanks.

go nh1 if you dont need native mp3 support

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I confess to still being a novice at this business of mixing and matching music from different media. I found this group because I wanted to find out if there was a way to get music I recorded (me singing) from the minidisc to the computer so I could burn a CD to listen to in my car. Yes, I could listen to the MD in my car but I would like to mix and match tracks with me singing and tracks from other CDs, etc. I had purchaed the NetMD in lieu of a tape recorder, since that technology is pretty dead.

The answer was no--the only "output" from the minidisc is via the headphone jack.

Does this new unit solve that problem? If I recorded into the new unit, could I get the tracks across to my computer and then mix them with other tracks from a CD?

Thanks,

Marie

• 1 month later...