Sony Unveils New Hi-MD & NetMD Walkmans

indeego

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like about this official press release is that while it talks about the fact that you can listen to your music on there, view album art, etc... it also emphasizes the fact that you can record stuff on them too (its original purpose). The DH10P ability to take pics and make a slide show sounds gimmicky, but an interesting idea. Go Sony. Let's hope that the upload stuff gets even more stable for people! smile.gif

oooooh.. imagine the hell to pay if someone's precious vacation photos get wiped by SonicStage the way audio occasionally does...

eeeek! ohmy.gif

Otherwise.. wow... I really want an RH10...

looks like we can record MP3 onto hi-mds!!

recording time: 5 hrs. 4 hrs. 30 min.

looks like we're stuck at 128kbps recording folks sad.gif

I don't think so...

"Spring 2005 marks the addition of another format for Hi-MD playback: industry-standard MP3 now joins LinearPCM and ATRAC3plus to offer a wider choice than ever."

Everything I've read leads me to believe MP3 support is playback only. And - it looks like SonicStage will not encode MP3s -

i know this has been asked before and, presumably sony has a plan one way or another(do nothing or do something), but what about those of us who bought a hi-md unit already and wouldn't mind it being directly mp3 compatible? seems to me like these units were probably made close to the same time as the 1st models if they are ready this quickly(we'll see if this is true), so i would assume sony thought they might have to use them, with competition from the ipod(if you call it that, considering the ipod's success). are we s.o.l. or did they have a contigency plan? i guess the answer will show how forward thinking they are as a company.

mmp64: you should read the entire post, along with links inside it, along with many other posts regarding the topc:

you can record mp3. Some links to proof.

http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/capacity.html#3

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=A...type=post&id=78

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...indpost&p=47022

have a nice day smile.gif

dclarke32: actually, the 1st gen models were planned for release last april lol

the whole hold up was due to a hi-md fault, causing them to recall every disk they made . I guess they really wanted to include the discs. Heck, they had to release the models one at a time (600d-May, rest in July) as the discs were being made. Then they FINALLY released the discs ~august.

Edited by The_Stamp

Import music files stored in your computer

You can import music files already on your computer's hard disk into SonicStage - if they are in the MP3, WMA*1 or WAV formats - registering them in My Library for later playback and transfer. MP3 files are transferred for playback directly from Hi-MD*2.

*1  WMA music files with copyright protection cannot be converted or transferred.

*2  After transfer to Hi-MD, MP3 files can be copied to other computers but they cannot be played.

sad.gif  looks like that the mp3s are DRM WRAPPED. booooo

hrmf, well it would be to good to expect sony to allow drag and drop playback of raw (unwrapped) mp3s...

still, i wonder how long it will take for someone on this board to come up with a nice way to unwrap the mp3s stored on a hi-md tongue.gif

when you have a copy of the pure data going in then you an figure out whats being doing with it when it comes out. just look for changes.

hmm, i just ended up wondering about vbr support. yes its just a extention of the normal mp3 format but still? more and more mp3s i run into are vbr...

Edited by hobgoblin

i dont understand why it says 4h 30 min on a 1 gig disc and 5 hours on a normal 80 min disc. but ill find out once i buy one :-)

anyway the official sony site does state u can directly add mp3s from 32-320kbps and mp3-vbr without conversion! i think the 128kbps is just an idea of recording time on 1 disc because 128 kbps is just an industry 'near-cd' standard!!! dont take everything too literally

mmp64: you should read the entire post, along with links inside it, along with many other posts regarding the topc:

you can record mp3. Some links to proof.

http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/capacity.html#3

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=A...type=post&id=78

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...indpost&p=47022

have a nice day smile.gif

A thousand pardons. I'm just so surprised by that feature, I can't quite believe it.

Hi,

Oh man....I'm excited...but also seriously pi*sed off, since I just got a Nh1. Is there a a chance of there being a firmware update or something?

Well, I know some companies seem to really care about their customers and constantly release really nice updates (e.g. Lite-On with their firmaware releases that enabled dual-layer or faster burning speeds on older models, or NVidia with their massive performance boosts), but I've never heard of Sony doing something like that...*sigh*...is there a chance of there being an unofficial hack (a la Canon 300D to 10D hack) ?

Well, still, it's good to see MD moving along - if only there was some hack for my old MD deck...lol...

cya,

Victor

Does this:

Record from multiple source: USB-in / Mic-in / Analogue-in / Digital-in

mean at the same time, and if so will it merge them or can it be used like a 4track (which would be ace) or, is it more like I suspect, just pointless marketing babble, 'cos let's face it, every net md does this if it's just one sourse at a time.

I need to know 'cos if it can be used as a 4track I'm gonna have to replace my NH1 after only owning it for 6 months!

knowing how sony news releases use the english language i would say that its just one source at a time. or if you can do them all the same same time then it most likely gets turned into one big bit stream before encoded and written.

running 4 seperate recordings onto the same md would require four seperate encoder chips and a assload of ram to act as a buffer as the write prosess of a md is anything but fast, and writeing 4 seperate files dont help.

most likely they would have written simultaneous or something if you could record 4 seperate streams at ones.

so i think that its basicly just a list of available inputs on the unit.

Edited by hobgoblin

i dont understand why it says 4h 30 min on a 1 gig disc and 5 hours on a normal 80 min disc. but ill find out once i buy one :-)

anyway the official sony site does state u can directly add mp3s from 32-320kbps and mp3-vbr without conversion! i think the 128kbps is just an idea of recording time on 1 disc because 128 kbps is just an industry 'near-cd' standard!!! dont take everything too literally

on the unit itself you can only record directly with 128kbps MP3, but you can transfer 32-320kbps MP3 from SonicStage

The Sony press release for Canada:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...5/07/c1597.html

"The MZ-RH910 Hi-MD Walkman will be available in April at a manufacturer's

suggested retail price of $249.99."

"The MZ-RH10 Hi-MD Walkman will be available in April at an MSRP of $399.99."

"The MZ-DN430 will be available this month at an MSRP of $129.99"

Prices seem pretty low. Are these things Made in China?

Edited by Dinko

Thanks kurisu.

What will the price be in USD? I know there's been some speculations, but is there an official suggested retail price in USD?

With the current currency exchange rates i would look for a canadian store to order from, if the US and Canadian prices are the same. But then again, with my latest loss of a NH-900 in the shipping from the US, i think i'll look for a Swedish etailer.

The 2005 Hi-MD players play back both MP3 and ATRAC3® audio files, in addition to supporting WMA and WAV formats.

This line is totally misleading, sony used to claim that the player support those formats, but actually the StinkStage software was converting the files to Atrac3/Plus.

Why do Sony keep playing tricks on us, instead of telling the truth.

This line is totally misleading, sony used to claim that the player support those formats, but actually the StinkStage software was converting the files to Atrac3/Plus.

Why do Sony keep playing tricks on us, instead of telling the truth.

this is what im talking about when i say things like "given the say sony news use the english language". ie, for sony marketing, support != native playback. never underestimate marketing departments about finding new ways to use words we take for granted...

right now i cant think of any other marketing department that have done a similar thing but im sure there are similar storys out there...

right now i cant think of any other marketing department that have done a similar thing but im sure there are similar storys out there...

Then you haven't seen, what the tourism industry is up to.

A few examples:

Continental breakfast: Sounds big, but it is just a small bun, a small piece of butter and some marmalade. Hardly enough to satisfy a 5 year old.

Seaview: You can see the sea, but only a small area of it and only, if you perch into the most outside corner of the balcony.

Lively, youth oriented ambience: The hotel discotheque is banging away at an earsplitting volume until 3 o'clock in the morning.

Natural beach: Looks worse than a landfill. And smells like one, since it is never cleaned.

Aspiring holiday region: Dirt, dust and heavy construction noise all day long and often enough well into the evening.

That's, what I call creative...

I would love it if Sony made a Hi-MD portable with a DAB turner.

They have made a portable DAB radio for around £100, so heres hoping....

Edited by MDGB2

• 2 weeks later...