MZ-RH10 Megathread - All Color Variations + Info.

Christopher

Related Links:

- official announcement thread

- real life pictures of this unit

- specifications of this unit

Misc. Specifications:

- release date March 10th in Japan, April elsewhere

- requires Sonicstage 3.x

- dimensions: 80.2×84.1×18.9mm

- weight: 147g with battery, 120g without

- can only record in Hi-MD mode, but can record in regular MD mode via SOnicstage

- obvious OLED display wink.gif

- 5mW output

- NON-HD digital amp

- charging stand 27g

- normal AC charging stand, no USB + can charge via USB seperately, however

- battery: standard gumstick battery [same as MZ-NH900, etc]

-- also uses AA add-on pack for extra battery life

- time required to charge battery: 3 and 1/2 hrs

- can facilitate 32-320kbps *.mp3 via Sonicstage along with the first generation Hi-MD ATRAC3/plus offerings

- no definition on regional color variation..yet.

Battery life:

[attachmentid=78]

Pictures:

user posted image

Black:

user posted image

user posted image

Silver:

user posted image

user posted image

Blue:

user posted image

user posted image

Orange:

user posted image

user posted image

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, thanks for the extensive update! The black version is gorgeous. In addition, the dimension of RH10 indicates that it is not significantly "thicker" than NH1; only by about 4 mm difference. [NH1 = 81.7W X 76.1H x 14.8D, RH10 = 80.2×84.1×18.9mm]

The bundled remotes appear to be the older RM-MC35ELK. I wonder if this is tentative. Anyhow, I can always use RM-MC40ELK or attempt to couple it with the newer RM-MC55ELK.

- release date March 10th

--> I assume this is the Japanese domestic release date and not applicable to North America?

Chris, thanks for the extensive update! The black version is gorgeous. In addition, the dimension of RH10 indicates that it is not significantly "thicker" than NH1; only by about 4 mm difference. [NH1 = 81.7W X 76.1H x 14.8D, RH10 = 80.2×84.1×18.9mm]

The bundled remotes appear to be the older RM-MC35ELK. I wonder if this is tentative. Anyhow, I can always use RM-MC40ELK or attempt to couple it with the newer RM-MC55ELK.

--> I assume this is the Japanese domestic release date and not applicable to North America?

8mm taller!! thats almost a centimeter. sorry but im really considering NOT buying the RH10 and going for an NH1/NH900 combo.

Quite a shame Sony came up with a slightly bulkier unit on this one. I'd hoped the slim and tiny trend could/would continue. Very good thing is the mp3 direct-recording capability, though...And I'm somehow pleased to see that the remote control isn't as bad as I thought it'd be (some comments here were pretty negative - I even thought it'd be a non LCD rc).

As to the release date, I assume its a Japanese release date, huh? damn...can't wait till they get here, just to see whether or not this bulkiness isn't too much of a turn off.

Edited by Norick

8mm taller!! thats almost a centimeter. sorry but im really considering NOT buying the RH10 and going for an NH1/NH900 combo.

I here ya. As far as I'm concerned it's more a question of depth. Im always looking for slimness over height or width, and in this particular case, I'm a tad disappointed. Oh well, maybe I'm being too picky here, I don't know...

Wow... ok the RH10 is hot.  I don't  mind that it's taller, thickness is what I'm more concerned about.

Remember this is still a recorder, and hey-- for that hot OLED I'm pretty happy smile.gif

Indeed. For us, VAIO Pocket users, the thickness of about 4mm more than NH1 is insignificant. I think the thickness from the photographs can be misconstrued as well by the fact that the outer shell is translucent.

Thanks Kurisu for the information and photos. Excellent!!

And for the people making complaints: C'mon! What's the matter with you people?

Years waiting for mp3 support, and Sony finally did it, and this new machine is beautiful! You didn't expect that gorgeous OLED, did you?

Sorry, but I can't understand why some of you are complaining!

I know that we are picky in this md world but we are becoming too picky!

I'm planning to sell everything to be able to buy this sweeeeeeeeeet new machine!

I'm from Argentina, so it will be too expensive to me 300 dollars. sad.gif

Can anybody answer these questions about the new HI-MD players MZ-RH10/MZ-RH910:

- Plug'n Play: Will the players pop up in Windows Explorer as an harddisk, without any software installation, when connecting the players to a computer through USB?

- SonicStage: is this program NEEDED for transfearing music to HI-MD, or can I use Explorer in Windows to copy & paste MP3 music files, both directions, without restrictions?

- AA battery: Is there anywhere a photo of the add-on AA-battery pack, or is there a mp3-play-enabled player which uses AA batteries as standard? Like a new mp3-play-enabled version of MZ-NH600...

1. Yes.

2. Most likely Sonicstage will be required, but there may be the ability to use just a simple mp3 file transfer utility. More on this as things progress.

3. It's like a little attachment. Barely obtrusive, and here's an example: http://www.minidisc.org/brian_youn/R900_ph...ks_R90_R900.jpg

Mind you they're a little smaller now, as those are models that are 5 years old.

these detailed pictures are really nice, but two questions:

the specification-page contains:

Features:

* Organic EL LCD on remote

is that really right? (I don´t think so wink.gif )

and:

this image shows only the headphone-symbol and no lineOUT - this would be a disappointment for me if this function is not present anymore sad.gif

Too bad it's not compatible with standard MDs...

But for the rest: I can't believe I just bought an MZ-NH1.

What do you mean? Recording in Lp2/lp4 or is this generation of Hi-MD no longer compatible with 74/80 min blanks? Did I miss something?

No HD amp... Don't think I like that.

Hmm... I haven't heard Sony's regular digital amp. Whatever is in it is probably what the D-NE20 is using, I'd bet... I guess we'll see how it sounds. I'm not really in love with Sony's HD amp-- it's really good but unless their regular digital amp really stinks then I'm sure it won't make too big of difference to me.

can only record in Hi-MD mode:

Meaning, if I have the specs right, Rumz, you're limited to:

PCM, MP3, HiSP, HiLP, HiLP-48kbps

So, if you still want HiMD and MD recording action on one unit, you're limited to 1st gen stuff.

can only record in Hi-MD mode:

Meaning, if I have the specs right, Rumz, you're limited to:

PCM, MP3, HiSP, HiLP, HiLP-48kbps

So, if you still want HiMD and MD recording action on one unit, you're limited to 1st gen stuff.

That's what I thought, and I could care less-- I will probably only record in PCM in real time. But is this limited to realtime recording or is it saying that you'll no longer be able to transfer 132kbps atrac3 tracks via SonicStage? Now that would be stupid considering Sony's connect service wink.gif

That's what I thought, and I could care less-- I will probably only record in PCM in real time.  But is this limited to realtime recording or is it saying that you'll no longer be able to transfer 132kbps atrac3 tracks via SonicStage?  Now that would be stupid considering Sony's connect service wink.gif

Real time only, the battery specs shows that you can still play your good old MD discs, just not record on to them.

Interestingly, the battery specs makes no mention of MP3 recording times.

While I see why Kurisu thought some of the MP3 options were limited to 2nd gen units, this still doesn't answer the $300 question, whether or not the 1st Gen units are capable of playing MP3s via SonicStage 3. Or the corollary $150 question, whether or not the 710 is also capable of MP3 recording (which I suspect it will).

At anyrate, again, nice to know my units are wholly and utterly obsolete. biggrin.gif

But is this limited to realtime recording or is it saying that you'll no longer be able to transfer 132kbps atrac3 tracks via SonicStage?  Now that would be stupid considering Sony's connect service wink.gif

http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/capacity.html#3 tells you all.

In other words - No NetMD-Mode anymore, but you can still transfer all bitrates, except old-SP.

Plus MP3.

MP3/128kbps    5 hrs.    4 hrs. 30 min.

The figure of 5 hours is for MD in HiMD, the 4:30 is for 1GB HiMD. I lifted that figure from jadeclaw's link given above.

Huh? So, is that a typo (maybe it was 14 hours and 30 minutes) or is it really limited to 4 hours and 30 minutes?

It can record in 128kbps on the unit itself, but can facilitate 32-320kbps via Sonicstage. This is in the first post, please read everything I've stated. tongue.gif

No mention of VBR playback. That will definitely be something to test the hell out of. If SS had issues with some VBR MP3 I wonder if the players will be more resilient.

I've yet to have a problem with any of my self-encoded VBR mp3s in Sonic Stage / on the Vaio Pocket. Hopefully MD won't have a problem with them.

With regards to recording, here's my 2 cents.

Can the 1st gen Hi-MD units record in old Type R SP? I thought they couldn't.

lp2? Well they've thrown on mp3 @ 128kbps, so having lp2 would be a little redundant. Lp4? Sounds like crap compared to the Hi-LP modes IMO, so really I could do without that. I'll be interested to see how mp3 recording works, though I'm no more likely to use it than other Atrac methods. So I guess the main drawback is that you can't record, in realtime, lp discs compatible with older non Hi-MD units, right?

This really is of little consequence to me, especially since we can still get those tracks in lp2 via Sonic Stage. Again, correct me if I've got it wrong or I'm missing something.

Huh?  So, is that a typo (maybe it was 14 hours and 30 minutes) or is it really limited to 4 hours and 30 minutes?

Typo is more likely, because if it was indeed limited to 4h30 then the 5 hours on standard blanks would make no sense.

I safely guess, that 14h30 for HiMD-blanks is much more likely.

No mention of VBR playback. That will definitely be something to test the hell out of. If SS had issues with some VBR MP3 I wonder if the players will be more resilient.

http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/index.html

Sampling rate: 44.1kHz. Bit rates: 32~320kbps (fixed/variable).

Anyone know why the change back to the lipsitck remote, I might be some wierd mutant, but I actually liked the 3 line remote. I figured the top end model would keep this remote rather than moving back to the lipstick ones.

They look very very nice, but I'll resist temptation, must stay out of Sony stores, must stay out of sony stores!

I've yet to have a problem with any of my self-encoded VBR mp3s in Sonic Stage / on the Vaio Pocket.  Hopefully MD won't have a problem with them.

With regards to recording, here's my 2 cents.

Can the 1st gen Hi-MD units record in old Type R SP?  I thought they couldn't. 

lp2?  Well they've thrown on mp3 @ 128kbps, so having lp2 would be a little redundant.  Lp4?  Sounds like crap compared to the Hi-LP modes IMO, so really I could do without that.  I'll be interested to see how mp3 recording works, though I'm no more likely to use it than other Atrac methods.  So I guess the main drawback is that you can't record, in realtime, lp discs compatible with older non Hi-MD units, right?

This really is of little consequence to me, especially since we can still get those tracks in lp2 via Sonic Stage.  Again, correct me if I've got it wrong or I'm missing something.

Ok Chris cleared this up for me. What seems to be gone is NetMD mode for making discs that can be played back in old units. I was only taking thought for playback on current units, silly me tongue.gif