MZ-DH10P Megathread - All Color Variations + Info.

Christopher

Related Links:

- official announcement thread

- real life pictures of this unit

- specifications of this unit

- Sony's official "Hi-MD Photo" page

Misc. Specifications:

- release date March 10th, June elsewhere

- requires Sonicstage 3.x

- dimensions: 83.6×81.1×21.4mm

- can only record in Hi-MD mode

- download only unit, no line/mic recording

- 5mW output

- automatic focus, self-timer (10sec), macro photographing, and built-in flash

- hd digital amp

- 155g with battery, 145g without; charging stand 10g

- also charges/transfers via USB stand/dock or usb to unit only

- battery: LIP-4WM [same as MZ-NH1]

- time required to charge battery: 3 hrs

- can record in *.mp3 on the unit itself [only 128kbps]

- can facilitate 32-320kbps *.mp3 via Sonicstage along with the first generation Hi-MD ATRAC3/plus offerings

- exclusive red model will sell for slightly less than normal silver + black

Battery life:

[attachmentid=77]

Actual Camera Specification:

[attachmentid=79]

Picture Capacity Estimates:

[attachmentid=80]

Pictures:

Enjoy - will try and get more pictures of the red one.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

That's indeed a very plausible candidate for a future generation, only 1.3MP is _very_ low resolution.

When I compare the DH10P to the RH10 it has been stripped of its inputs and has an added 1.3MP camera. For that I pay $200. For $200 I can buy a pretty decent camera with more megapixels. Depending on DH10P's image quality, a seperate one probably gives much better results.

Edited by Breepee2

That's indeed a very plausible candidate for a future generation, only 1.3MP is _very_ low resolution.

When I compare the DH10P to the RH10 it has been stripped of its inputs and has an added 1.3MP camera. For that I pay $200. For $200 I can buy a pretty decent camera with more megapixels. Depending on DH10P's image quality, a seperate one probably gives much better results.

Still it would be nice to see the cover image of an album while listening to it... but does it really worth the price difference?

It least this is a step in the right direction. This is the best usage of MD data storage I've seen yet. Just think how cheap discs are compared to media cards used by most digital cameras. Lets just hope for better cameras in the devices that follow this one smile.gif

I think this is an interesting, if not possibly useful, combination of technology. Sony (and Sony ericcson) are making some intriguing devices, such as this and a new cell phone dubbed W800 walkman phone. See here http://www.sonyericsson.com/cebit/flash.html

It's a combo phone/walkman, compatible with MP3/AAC and ATRAC/Connect tracks. 2MP camera to boot. Interesting stuff. I want.

We'll see how the market accepts the DH10P. I think there will be those who like it. If it did line/mic-in, this would be a dream. Take a pic of the location where you're recording nature sounds or the bustle of a trendy neigbhorhood. Oh well.

i agree with most posts on this site, 3rd gen hi-md will probably have larger screens, better cameras and probably capability to take and view films, most probably because the walkman phone (w800) and the PSP can both do all that already. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2/4 gig discs too but as with all technology there is never a good time to buy and hi-md is evolving so fast its pointless waiting to see what sony will announce in 2006. So ill buy this year, i stopped myself from buying 1st gen because i know sony wud change the format somewhat!

buy it. if it fits your needs & you enjoy the music played on it [md isn't just about design - or is it?] then you shouldn't feel buyers remorse. waiting perpetually for the next big tech advance is going to leave you waiting for ever IMO.

so i'm still buying a HD1 ... maybe

PlanetEarth: they said May will be the release month.

edit: I am "The_Stamp" because "Stamp" was used by someone already who never ended up posting here. Couldnt get him decomissioned for my user name sad.gif

Edited by The_Stamp

wink.gif - they are, indeed.

maybe this page is also interessting for you:

http://hi-md.net/

after the intro, klick "audio X visual", then klick three times the button below the MZ-DH10P and you will be able to scroll online through some pics via the menu of the MZ-DH10P rolleyes.gif

just for those of you who can´t wait wink.gif

This website says the USB connection is USB 2.0 -- is that true?    Can you download to this HiMD unit faster than the 1st gen units?

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C3798/

USB2.0 is backwards compatible with USB1.1 which is already too fast for MDs. Writing to a HiMD disc will never even max out a USB1.1 conenction so no there will be no increase in speed

A question for those in the know about the MZ-DH10P...

Is the camera in the DH10P a CMOS type (like in most camera phones), or a CCD type (like in many digital cameras)?

Because the former does not provide very good image quality regardless of the resolution.

Edited by RichM

A question for those in the know about the MZ-DH10P...

Is the camera in the DH10P a CMOS type (like in most camera phones), or a CCD type (like in many digital cameras)? 

Because the former does not provide very good image quality regardless of the resolution.

Actually, CMOS can have very high image quality, here's an example of a CMOS from Sony: here

But yeah the quality of CMOS in most camera phones so far has been very low.

Personally, I HATE autofocus, at least when your'e stuck with it, and can't switch to manual focus. This is because my Olympus digital camera only has autofocus, and the autofocus sucks. It won't focus unless I go to mercury on a sunny mercury day, or turn on 13 100-megawatt lights. Normal indoor light is not enough for the autofocus to work. What really annoys me is that the camera is fitted with a flash, witch is like a total contradiction. When the flash have to be used, it's allready way too dark for the autofocus to work. Piece of crap i tell you.

I just went off topic.