Guest tony wong

........it's just hard to even find the spec for it in internet wacko.gif

have u ever heard about it?

my sister have one ohmy.gif

it's a japanese model bought from japan

yes, the monitor is great

anyone interested? laugh.gif

Guest tony wong

Looks cool, but far too pricey for my blood.

in hk, it's just about hk$1900 laugh.gif

and my sister bought it from Japan

rumour says the Japanese model is made of Sharp mon, far more better than the ones with LG mon(right?)

in hk, it's just about hk$1900 laugh.gif

and my sister bought it from Japan

rumour says the Japanese model is made of Sharp mon, far more better than the ones with LG mon(right?)

Yes, that's correct. The first few batch of Japanese PSP employs Sharp LCD while worldwide release will use LG or maybe Samsung LCD.

I got one about a month ago. Gran Tourismo is pretty cool, but a somewhat repetitive. I'm waiting to get more games when its released in the US so I can read the menus etc. Also, there need to be some better games. The screen is incredible for a handheld game machine. Only problem with buying in Japan that I didn't think about is that even though the games are region free, the movies most likely will not be and the system I got is region 2, not region 1, which would serve me better long term. On the other hand, I really don't see watching movies on it. When I travel I have my laptop for that. When I'm at home I have my 60 inch HDTV biggrin.gif

Guest tony wong

when do they go on sale in europe?

now it should be only available in japan

"should be"

the next market should be US

[added]for the other brand of monitor, it shall be Samsung instead of LG

I made a mistake again

but yes, first available "lot" is using Sharp mon

in fact, the difference with Samsung mon is really "sharp"

Edited by tony wong

i am getting mine on thursday after having a mix up with the day of release, i am getting ridge racers with it, i saw the graphics for that game and they look amazing,, so i hope this thing is worth it, i do see myself usng it to watch movies but not if they are over priced, i wont pay more than 25 dolllars for a video, maybe not even since its in a proprietary format, i was really hoping that sony would release a way to download movies through a website made by them and burn them to UMD or something but since they arent a consumer wrtable format thats out of the question

i got one.....and, i would like to say this one word comment about it

WOW

i am in love, this thing is definetly better than the DS IMO, ridge racers is a very sharp game, and so are the other titles i tried, the UMD's are pretty nice, i wish sony would liscense it out soon,

this is a very sharp looking device, i have to say, sony has got video games cut out for them, its one of the things they can do right

Guest NRen2k5

Actually it isn't. They just have the market share to give many developer incentive to develop good games for them.

Sony themselves are terrible at video games.

I've got Ridge Racer and Wipeout Pure. Both games have great quality graphics. I haven't watched the Spiderman 2 movies yet, but I'm sure it'll be at least acceptable. I do not see myself buying anymore UMD movies though. I want an extended life battery and a Tekken game to be released.

I really can't see what the big deal is with the PSP. If I want to play PS games I already have a PS2 at home. I find that the Nintendo DS will have more compelling, innovative software (Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Animal Crossing DS, etc.) and the PSP will be more port-crazy.

I may have to get one once the price drops and there are loads of cheap software available (much like I did with the PS2). But if SEGA brings out Virtua Fighter for PSP I'll be forced to get it! happy.gif

The Atari Lynx was a competitor to the original Gameboy and Sega Game Gear. Atari screwed up the marketing on it, and 3rd parties were scared of making the big "N" angry so they didn't develop games for it. I think that less than 100 titles were ever produced for it. It's a shame really, the Lynx was technically superior to both the Gameboy and the Game Gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Atari Lynx!!!

I had fond memories of my old unit. I remember lugging it to elementary school like a brick. Sadly, I now remember very little of what games I had on it. Of course, I could never forget the experiences I had on my Game Boy units (2 Brick-Boys, 2 GB Pockets, 2 GB Colors, 1 Ghetto-Boy Advance) and my Game Gear (loved that Sega Master System cartridge converter!).

As far as the PSP goes, the latest EGM had a full feature on it which made it seem a bit more enticing (there were previews for a bunch of games in it), but I still see nothing remarkably special about it. The Nintendo DS has far more potential (for games) IMHO. Multimedia functions seem cool on the PSP but are not exclusive to it (the DS/GBA has the "Play-Yan" cartridge add-on that can play music and movies off of flash media).

Sony is hoping for the PSP to be an "iPod killer" but I think they really should be focusing Hi-MD or their Network Walkman to take those reins. I expect Sony to fail miserably on that front, but lucky for them their product is also supposed to be a games-machine. The PSP is vastly inferior to the iPod or any other portable audio player, but i guess Sony is depending on customers to be oblivious to that fact. I bet if Sony marketed Minidisc in the U.S. as well as they marketed the PlayStation brand, we'd have an entirely different picture all-together.

The PSP has woo'ed me like no other electronic device - I was able to sample one the other day. I would definitely love to get one, but considering the price of the unit, $250ish, a few games $40-50 each, and a decent memorystick $50-$100, you're talking about some serious money that could be dumped into a computer for superior preformance. Of course, comparing the two is a moot point.

It'll definitely be much hotter when the prices go down a little bit, but Sony has definitely hit a grand slam with this one.

Guest NRen2k5

You can do more with a Nintendo DS and Playan (touchscreen; actual MPEG4 and MP# support rather than closed video and ATRAC3 audio support), and it comes out cheaper too. $50 cheaper. Mind you, you still need to buy a CF card for the Playan to use, but you can get something much bigger than Sony's puny 32-bit memory stick with the money you save.

Edited by NRen2k5

From what I hear, what makes people drop their jaws is the quality of the screen on the PSP. Some members at the gaming forum I belong to describe it as "an HDTV on the palm of your hand".

Edited by Syrius

You can do more with a Nintendo DS and Playan (touchscreen; actual MPEG4 and MP# support rather than closed video and ATRAC3 audio support), and it comes out cheaper too. $50 cheaper. Mind you, you still need to buy a CF card for the Playan to use, but you can get something much bigger than Sony's puny 32-bit memory stick with the money you save.

PSP uses MP4 playback videos, which can be encoded using ffmpeg (I use Image Converter 2.1 though for my Clie). These videos play fine on my laptop as well, so hardly a "closed" format. PSP also supports drag and drop mp3 playback.

Guest NRen2k5

With dead pixels 100x as often. Sony manufacturing. w00t.

Oh, well. It's a messed up world we live in where Sony makes video games, Apple makes walkmans and Nintendo makes toys.

Edited by NRen2k5

• 3 weeks later...

Man, theres no PSP in Oz yet sad.gif

But I'm getting it regardless, and really waiting for GT4 (Gran Turismo 4) to come out on it. Yes I've heard of some dead pixel stories. Heard there was gonna b a samsung screen on the revision, and heard that the jap version has a sharp screen which is better.

But for now you PSP junkies

Heres a pic of the PSP developer's kit (if you haven't seen it yet):

http://www.psp-vault.com/Article82.psp

Maybe it's just extreme luck that the one friend I know who has a PSP has half a dozen dead pixels on his screen.

The gaming forums i read seem to have people plagued with dead pixels, however most people are happy to 'live with them' as there not too noticeable. My friend has a US model with dead pixels. The screen is impressive, although like the sony ericcson phones it does get smudged very easy. The top surface has some imperfections as well. As for the games, only played Ridge and Wipeout. Both good, but not a system seller for me. I'm waiting for Winning Eleven/Pro Evo Soccer.