SonicStage 3.0 US Version Online

Du Mistvieh

In addition, what des it mean when it changes from percentage done, to a time?  Is the time saying how much it has uploaded, or how much longer the upload will take?

When i download to my 600d, it does that too. Its the time left. Works great so you can leave your computer and come back later.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks atrain, but in this case, I was not using CDDB or a CD. I was importing an mp3 file of an entire album that I found somewhere. Any idea why the software would have a thumbnail of the album. If I call up the album art, it doesn't show any pictures either, as it does when I drag them over from Amazon (I use the same method you mention.)

releases from reputable* sites & groups often include front, back & disc pics in the rar with the .nfo - never embedded in the audio afaik however. sure you weren't connected to the internet? cddb is pretty background on my ss3.0

*for illegal filesharing of course

Hi emmrecs,

I am glad that you have got a similar result to me when trying to download SS 3.0.

I was still working on SS 2.1 (only just got my MD) so the installer upgraded me to SS 2.3. If I had had 2.3 installed I am sure I would have got the same comment from the installer as you did.

Does anyone know why some in the UK are allowed to upgrade to the new version and some not ?

I am reading all the comments on SS 3.0 with interest but I suspect that it is a beta release with the link made available to some selected testers as a 'private thing' from sony. The smart people on this forum happened to guess the link.

I think I will wait for SS 3.1.

Best regards,

Graham

Thanks atrain, but in this case, I was not using CDDB or a CD.  I was importing an mp3 file of an entire album that I found somewhere.  Any idea why the software would have a thumbnail of the album.  If I call up the album art, it doesn't show any pictures either, as it does when I drag them over from Amazon (I use the same method you mention.)

It was stored in the ID3 tag, perhaps. (Version 2 allows album art). I have all of my mp3's with art, one the advantages of using iTunes.

Yes I had a backup which was more than 6gig... short on space I had to delete it hoping to create another backup soon... now its too late.

Ooops! Always keep a backup! If a virus kills your Windows installation, you're screwed without one....

BTW, what was that album which contained 1656 tracks? I deleted that one too and lost many of my oma files and albums: now they have 0 tracks each. Damn you Sony!!!!! mad.gif

Looks like, you had 1656 tracks in 'MyCompilation'-albums only and these had insufficient Artist-info.

SS3.0 converts 'MyCompilation'-Albums into playlists, which do not contain the tracks, but pointers to them instead.

But according to the SS3.0's skewed logic, there cannot be atrack without an album, so it created that massive album and threw anything into it that had no album of its own.

In other words, SS3.0 expects you, that you had in 2.3 (and earlier) parallel to your 'MyCompilation' album, everything in regular albums as well.

Completely ignoring the fact, that a 'MyCompilation'-album is a regular album only having a flag to display a different icon.

Deleting that massive Album was a very bad idea.

Hope, you have the stuff still on CD and can rerip it.

*Daumen drück*

So again: Before upgrading, BACKUP your library.

Make sure, you uncheck the 'My Compilation'-checkbox

in the Properties window of each and every album!!!

I am reading all the comments on SS 3.0 with interest but I suspect that it is a beta release with the link made available to some selected testers as a 'private thing' from sony. The smart people on this forum happened to guess the link.

Best to put down the pipe and stay away from conspiracy theory books, as it's clearly listed here: http://musicstore.connect.com/mb_us/IESignup.flow

Best to put down the pipe and stay away from conspiracy theory books, as it's clearly listed here: http://musicstore.connect.com/mb_us/IESignup.flow

Exactly. Just go to www.connect.com and click download the connect player on top. No direct linking at all, I don't see why it's so difficult tongue.gif The other link posted about a page back or so also links to the installer in the first post after some redirection.

Seems like my installer got removed as well, didn't notice someone else had posted another one as well (only read the first page biggrin.gif). I can see the concern and probably shouldn't have posted it biggrin.gif But for the adventurous, my package does work (there are some requirements). PM me if interested.

Edited by OCedHrt

How long is your session limit. I started the installation and went to bed. I'm on a 28.8k connection (Thanks to my telephone line being stuffed!), and I got it this way. Just started the installation went through till it started downloading stuff and went to bed. Next morning I just hit restart and it was done.

any ideas on how those of us with slow time-limited dial up connections can get this?

3 hours later I've cleaned up the library, and just having to put a few albums back on again!

HI - desparately seeking a zipped version of SS3.0 as my dial-up is irritatingly slow & quits after 90minutes!!! grr indeed.

I never get past the damn directX section. mad.gif

wanting to upgrade from 2.3......

If anyone would be good enough to assist that would be great.

ta muckle

it might have language barriers purposly in place

Not too sure abuot that but I have my English WinXP set to Japanese (non-unicode programs) and the English version of SS3 still works. It wouldn't install but I just edited the ini and told it to not ignore Japanese OS.

Update: Tried typing some Japanese into one of the title fields and I get jargon too. But it displays under the properties of the file.

user posted image

Edited by OCedHrt

Sorry to ask if it's been brought up before but. . . . .

i thought I read somewhere that with SS 3.0 you are limited to how many audio CD's you can record/burn from any given playlist. I think it said 7 times.

Any confirmation on this? If true it's pretty assinine, it took SS 2.x to finally get rid of limited check outs for MD and MS even though all along you could burn as many cd-r's as you wanted, and now it's the otherway around? AAAArrrggghhhh.

Anyone using 3.0 can you check on this?

norrad

@ OCedHrt, also, titles show up correctly in tooltips. but after you transfer it to your md, that track becomes "Untitled".

i give up already..

but if anyone here wants to give it a shot, please do so.

just edit your ss installer ini (setupss.ini):

remove line

nonsupportoslang =Japanese

and change url of dlserver =http://cnt01.labelgate.com/omgx2/player/SS3_0/

good luck.

Sorry to ask if it's been brought up before but. . . . .

i thought I read somewhere that with SS 3.0 you are limited to how many audio CD's you can record/burn from any given playlist.  I think it said 7 times.

Any confirmation on this?  If true it's pretty assinine, it took SS 2.x to finally get rid of limited check outs for MD and MS even though all along you could burn as many cd-r's as you wanted, and now it's the otherway around?  AAAArrrggghhhh.

Anyone using 3.0 can you check on this?

norrad

I believe it does say 7 but I made an audio cd with some songs from connect.com and the count didn't go down. Either that or it went from 8 to 7.

The shift-jis conversion/display works fine for me under English Windows (non-unicode support set to Japanese). Works with both English or Japanese OpenMG. I do not know if the transfer to MD works though since my MD is no longer functional sad.gif

user posted image

Some things I have discovered:

*Language support of SonicStage is no longer determined by the registry.

-Made copy of all registry keys made by SS/OpenMG Japanese and imported them over an English installation, and still couldn't display Japanese.

*Locale setting does affect SonicStage.

-Set the locale to Japanese and those ??? you see in the picture will become Japanese. This doesn't fix all the ??? though, only the ??? inside the library itself. It also fixed the shift-jis on the SS loader screen. The initialization text requires the locale to be Japanese for it to be displayed properly.

user posted image

I just noticed that after setting the locale to Japanese the shift-jis characters got messed up (they were entered when locale was English), but re-entering them remedies that.

user posted image

It then follows that changing it back to English from Japanese changes the characters to ??. My take on this is that SS uses the locale to determine which codepage conversion to use. With the Japanese locale it does a shift-jis->unicode conversion, resulting in a unicode->latin conversion that returns ??.

*English SonicStage cannot import Japanese named files even when non-unicode is set to Japanese (maybe no multi-byte support?). This works fine under the Japaense version of SonicStage with non-unicode set to Japanese. I didn't try without.

*You can change the checkout mode back to unlimited in the English version by changing the reg dword at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\OpenMG\PD\{E1E50A82-ADC9-4263-A175-9454A6A4D7AA}\CheckoutModel to 1. The english installer sets it to 0 and the Japanese installer sets it to 1. This can be changed in the OpenMG installation script OmgCore.ini by changing the line CheckoutModel=0. (Under the English SS, from my one usage of create audio cd, I made a cd of the free "The Massacre" from connect.com and my remaining checkout count was 7. I don't know if the original was 8, or was it 7 and just didn't change.)

Edited by OCedHrt

Re SonicStage burning rights:

Any tracks you purchase from Connect.com is limited by the provider/licensor of the tracks. Generally, I've noticed that non Sony/BMG tracks have very limited rights when it comes to CD Burning for ATRAC3plus or Redbook. Warner Bros. tracks seems to be the most limited with 3 check-outs and no redbook burning.

Anything that you import yourself, CDs, MP3s, have unlimited transfer rights. Or at least, my MP3s and tracks from SonicStage 2.x does.

Just to sort of back up OCedHrt, you can input Japanese characters, and the information will be retained in the Properties Window of the track/album/whatever. However, in the Main SonicStage screen, the characters promptly turn into garbage...

Which matters very little, since the US units do not support display of non-latin characters, even on a MC-RM40ELK paired with NH1 or NH900.

Natch.

Just to sort of back up OCedHrt, you can input Japanese characters, and the information will be retained in the Properties Window of the track/album/whatever.  However, in the Main SonicStage screen, the characters promptly turn into garbage... 

Which matters very little, since the US units do not support display of non-latin characters, even on a MC-RM40ELK paired with NH1 or NH900. 

Natch.

But I have a Japanese unit wink.gif That doesn't work sad.gif Sigh.

I beleive you need to enable "ShowTitleHalf" in the registry

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\PD

ShowTitleHalf = 1

Unit/remote should be able to display katakana(/hiragana?) and store kanji without problem

To display kanji however, you'll need a remote ending with a "K"

daijoubu,

tried to "ShowTitleHalf = 1" with ss3, doesn't work.  sad.gif

and, Damage, i have both us & ja units (600d & eh1), kana and kaji shows up correctly on the remote. i'm using jap. ss2.3, though. cray.gif

Yes, showtitlehalf no longer works with SS3. It is needed, but there is more to it now. I have experimented with several combinations and the Jap version of SS3 and Windows locale set to Japanese is required. My guess is that the US version forces the latin codepage (1252) in the library. And to make it worse, the Jap version of SS3 isn't fully functional under English WinXP even with non-unicode set to Japanese.