Digital Amp?

Rate this topic

Guest tony wong

i see this as one of the features of the new HI-MD portables.  can someone please tell me what that translates to in english  tongue.gif

or is it a gimmick?

no, not gimmick

just go to any Sony showroom, and try the new Hi-MD units

only the high end have HD digital amp

NHF800 and NH700 or even NH600D(may not available in ur area) do not have digital amp

u'll see the difference

Guest tony wong

hopefully i'll "hear" the difference  laugh.gif

no, for real.... does it translate into cleaner & louder music with less power draw???

kurisu, pls say a word unsure.gif

u must hear the difference

the difference will be on the noise level

but not sure for the "digital amp" not "HD digital amp"

not sure how will a digital amp act like

[added]in hk Sony showroom, they use that MDR-V300DJ, it fully cover ur ears

so I can fully experience the difference in the noise level

they do record same cd with same settings(Hi-SP) on all available models

the thing is : u have to be in a real silent place(thought the showroom should be)

and push the volume to highest for both unit, then u will find the difference

Edited by tony wong

Tony, you have a digital amp in your MZ-E710. I also have one. The digital amp offers marginally cleaner sound than a MD unit without it in my opinion, but it not noticeable with all music. The HD digital amp has gotten mixed reviews from users.

To be honest, I'd look for recording features and a good EQ before I'd care about the digital or HD digital amps.

Guest tony wong

Tony, you have a digital amp in your MZ-E710. I also have one. The digital amp offers marginally cleaner sound than a MD unit without it in my opinion, but it not noticeable with all music. The HD digital amp has gotten mixed reviews from users.

To be honest, I'd look for recording features and a good EQ before I'd care about the digital or HD digital amps.

shocking to me ohmy.gif

yes, that is right, my E710 do have digital amp

then I can tell u, HD digital amp is even a better thing(personal opinion)

'vanilla' digital amp as has been stated before, is primarily for reducing power consumption, therefore extending battery life.

the HD [high definition] is intended to offer a better 'quality' of sound.

i'd second nis' opinion, amp type is way down my list of make or break features

Guest tony wong

anyone can answer my question :

do all models that have 6 band(or less) equalizer also have digital amp?

the answer seems to me is : yes

Edited by tony wong

It seems like the consensus on the HD digital amp is skewed amongst the community and shunned amongst audiophiles. It does lack a little bit in comparison to the warmth and more mature coloration of the Auvi or Kenwood offerings, but still excels in certain genres. Whilst most say that these things offer nothing to sound and it's hogwash is a different matter, but I honestly can't agree.

"Digital" amps are not really digital. They are what's called a Class D amplifier, which works in a different fashion from the usually seen Class B and Class AB amplifiers. A Class D amplifier works by means of differential push/pull topology.

The main difference between a Class D amplifier and Class A/B amplifiers are that they produce an amplified output signal from low supply voltages without clipping. The fact that Sharp's Auvi Class D amp sounds very good is not because it is a Class D amp, but because Sharp designed the amp very well and used good parts. The HD amp used by Sony, on the other hand, is a design that is not as good and has problems with many headphones.

All things being equal, however, a good Class A amplifier will always sound better than a comparable Class D amplifier. The only real advantage to a Class D amplifier is very low supply voltage requirements which translates into high battery life for portables.

I'm working on a piece about amps right now, so hopefully it will help to answer all your amp questions. biggrin.gif

Information on Class D amplifiers can be found here.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/ece4435/f01/ClassD2.pdf

so with the digital amp, will there be more or less output compared to my current MZ-R900?

how about this... the new EH930 and the new RH910.... will sound quality be exactly the same when playing back through a set of headphones?

It's not that they have higher output power. It is that they have the same output power but use less power to generate that output.

Guest tony wong

"Digital" amps are not really digital. They are what's called a Class D amplifier,

thx for ur info, from the bottom of my heart

I should have touched this info 10 or more years ago laugh.gif

thx for reminding

[edit]I know I am wrong again for the following(in white now)

but how about "did 6 band equliazer equal to digital amp"?

am I correct on this? laugh.gif

Edited by tony wong

thx for ur info, from the bottom of my heart

I should have touched this info 10 or more years ago laugh.gif

thx for reminding

[edit]I know I am wrong again for the following(in white now)

but how about "did 6 band equliazer equal to digital amp"?

am I correct on this? laugh.gif

No HD Digital Amp in the new Sony RH10 with Oled screen ??

mad.gif

No HD Digital Amp in the new Sony RH10 with Oled screen ??

mad.gif

Like I said, a Class D amp is not always better. Usually, it's the same or worse. All it does is waste less power... Class D amps are 90% efficient on average, while Class AB amps (the type typically in audio equipment) waste a good bit more juice.

Sony may have realized the issues the HD amp has with certain headphones and removed it for compatibility reasons...

• 2 weeks later...

It's not that they have higher output power. It is that they have the same output power but use less power to generate that output.

Do you know what's the output of the MZ-RH10 and guess the rest too?. I've read that it is 5 mW and that seems absurd. my old MZe20 has 15mW. This is an importan spec before buying a portable gadget.

bye

• 2 weeks later...

"Digital" amps are not really digital. They are what's called a Class D amplifier, which works in a different fashion from the usually seen Class B and Class AB amplifiers. A Class D amplifier works by means of differential push/pull topology.

The main difference between a Class D amplifier and Class A/B amplifiers are that they produce an amplified output signal from low supply voltages without clipping. The fact that Sharp's Auvi Class D amp sounds very good is not because it is a Class D amp, but because Sharp designed the amp very well and used good parts. The HD amp used by Sony, on the other hand, is a design that is not as good and has problems with many headphones.

All things being equal, however, a good Class A amplifier will always sound better than a comparable Class D amplifier. The only real advantage to a Class D amplifier is very low supply voltage requirements which translates into high battery life for portables.

I'm working on a piece about amps right now, so hopefully it will help to answer all your amp questions.  biggrin.gif

Information on Class D amplifiers can be found here.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/ece4435/f01/ClassD2.pdf

That's quite a lecture, very comprehensive! Thanks!

So, do you think/know that "HD digital amp" (in SONY's term) is really better than "digital amp"? How different? Is this worth paying for the extra?

To my recollection, the Sony HD amp fared quite well when first reviewed (at the time of release of Nh1, Nh3d etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong?

From my own perspective, I have put up quite a few listening hours on both the DS70 (Sharp/Auvi digital amp) and the NH1 (Sony 'High-Definition' digital amp). With comparable recordings and settings, I would favour the NH1 sound over the DS70. But, I don't think that isn't much in the difference: the devices do have different characteristics but overall I think that they weigh-in close to each other.

So far, the discussion in this thread appears to paint the HD amp in quite a negative light.

But is it so bad? Or are we debating about those last few percentage points that seperate it from comparable devices?