Error Reading Cd

Rate this topic

iyareu

Hi forum,

Have looked through and not found this problem elsewhere so far so here goes:

When importing CD's SS does get the details of the CD and start importing tracks - but then stops with a message on screen saying "Error reading Disc"

I initially thought this was a problem with the disc or the CD player.

I have 2 CD players in the PC (DVD and CDRW) and it happens with both.

I recently upgraded to SS3.0 and had the same problem (seems more prevalent)

As a test tried to rip the tracks to Mp3 using WM10 - worked fine without errors meaning the disc is fine and the CD players are fine.

The problem must be with SS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated MUCHLY!!

Thanks in advance for any help - I am at my wits end on this. (Still trying to get hold of someone at SS)

• 3 months later...

If you've been able to rip the CD tracks using WM10 have you tried importing those files into Sonic Stage's library ?

I've also found that iTunes is able to rip CD tracks that Sonic Stage cannot, such as those remastered DavidBowie albums and even CopyControlCDs. Then Transferred those files into SS's library and then moved them onto a Minidisc.

Also have you tried using SimpleBurner to transfer the CD tracks straight onto your MDs ?

Edited by bogon07

If you've been able to rip the CD tracks using WM10 have you tried importing those files into Sonic Stage's library ?

I Have imported ripped mp3 files into SS.

I've also found that iTunes is able to rip CD tracks that Sonic Stage cannot, such as those remastered DavidBowie albums and even CopyControlCDs. Then Transferred those files into SS's library and then moved them onto a Minidisc.

Also have you tried using SimpleBurner to transfer the CD tracks straight onto your MDs ?

Yes I have transferred these ripped tracks to my minidisc and vaio pocket.

The prolem Iahve it that SS says it cannot read the CD when there is obviously nothing wrong with the CD.

I think that maybe the ripping process in itunes and Windows Media player (10) are more ressilliant and can cope with errors on what is read than SS.

Whether that is the case or not - we have a problem as SS is not allowing us to encode all CDs.

I would love to find a way to get round this. I much prefer ATRAC to mp3 encoded files and I save much more space using ATRAC.

Any thouhts .......

Perhaps you could try upgrading to Sonic Stage 3.1 see the linkis at the top of the forum.

(NB - I had to try installing it twice before it worked).

That's what I thouht.

I have upgraded and have re-installed 5+ times.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think it is something to do with the software that SS uses to access the Cd player.

It must get stuck or something. (Very technical explanation as you can tell no doubt)

I had a strange thing happen this week - I was importing a CD and it came up with the error message just before reading the last track. I did nothing just sent it to do the read again and it worked.

That is the first time this has happened.

I have tried retrying before, many times, to no avail so was very surprised when it just worked .

Granted it was only one track so but it DID stopp and produce the error message and then DID just re-read the CD and create the Atrac3+ file and it sounds fine.

I would love to find some sort od solution though as it is annoying when I have to read half a Cd in using Atrac and half using bulky mp3 format.

something I noticed with SonicStage is that it has a hard time doing anything when there are multiple drives present. My solution: make sure only one disc is in your system at a time, not that I see this making a difference in this case...

You are so right. SS has real issues with multiple drives.

I did have 2 drives working in the PC before but there is only one now.

I used to rip with one. When that one gave the error I would change Ss so that it ripped from the other. Switch the CD and continue and when that one had the same problem switch back and get a few more tracks out.

Nonesense!!

Why is it that the hardware can be so superior to the ipod but the software is so incredibly far behind itunes.

For all itunes failings - and there are many - it is leaps and bounds better than SS.

SS has such potential though - it could really be the better software package if only they sorted out the speed and reliability.

having Atrac3+ as a format is such a big bonus and if you have a mindisc recorder you can save the recordings in the same general area as all your other music type stuff - Really nice.

SS lets the whole package down so badly!!