Hint Of A Chance For Mac Users?

Rate this topic

antiorario

Here's a quote from an article I read on MacCentral News:

Sony Pictures' vice chairman Yair Landau told attendees of the iHollywood Digital Living Room forum that his company will release software allowing its PlayStation Portable (PSP) hand-held game console to connect to Macs and PCs, according to a recent report. What's more, the device will also be able to work with Connect, Sony's music download service, offering potential competition for Apple's iPod.

Maybe I'm just overthinking, but if the PSP can be connected to a Mac, maybe they will take the whole thing further and connect ("Connect," I should say) to Mac OS also the Hi-MD. I imagine it would make sense that Sony expands SonicStage to use with the PSP instead of creating a new, PSP-only program.

I know, I know, Sony often does not exactly make sense, but, it's good to be dreaming sometimes.

I imagine it would make sense that Sony expands SonicStage to use with the PSP instead of creating a new, PSP-only program.

My modest guess is that Sony would just create a tiny-app to initiate conversions and file-transfer to the PSP, kind of like SimpleBurner is. And no MD/Hi-MD support. I'm still crossing my fingers though!

if ss & connect continue to be as close as the snake to the staff of cadueceus then the connect part would be good for the misguided mac users amongst us, a stand alone module, like that of the mp3 transfer tool would be what i expect however.

wasnt there a news article a while aback about Sony and Apple working together to incorperate things into iTunes? Maybe Sony's paired with Apple to allow transfers of MP3 and Atrac to the PSP

wild rumour & speculation rather than report

Even worse than that, if I remember correctly. Steve Jobs offered collaboration but Idei politely declined. Grr.

An excerpt from an interview with Nobuyuki Idei, Chairman and CEO of Sony Corporation by AlwaysON in 2003.

Idei: We actually met several times with Steve last year, in January, March, and June to try to work out a mutual strategy. But you know Steve, he has his own agenda. [Laughs.] Although he is a genius, he doesn't share everything with you. This is a difficult person to work with if you are a big company. We started working with them, but it is a nightmare. We have the exact type of guy like Steve within Sony. His name is Ken Kutaragi. They respect each other. So maybe if we can get them both together then they could figure out how the PlayStation and the Mac can work together.

Ok Idei didn't actually decline. I know this story has benn posted already, but here is a reminder:

Apple Computer Inc. Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Steve Jobs offered Nobuyuki Idei, chairman and group CEO of Sony Corp., the chance for Sony to come aboard Apple's iTunes Music Store service, the Nikkei Sangyo Shimbun newspaper reported in its Sept. 2 edition. The offer would have allowed for joint operation of the service, the newspaper said.

The offer was made when the two met at the Sony Open golf tournament held in Hawaii this January, according to the paper, which quoted unnamed Sony sources. Jobs is reported to have wanted to bring the Sony brand into the service to maintain a competitive advantage over Microsoft Corp., which launched a beta version of its MSN Music store earlier this week.

Sony and Apple declined to comment on the story.

From Macworld, Sept. 03, 2004. See the full article: Report: Apple offered Sony iTunes deal.