Are Ipod Accessories Compatible With Mz-nh1?

Rate this topic

quixoptic

I was hoping someone could tell me if the iPod accessories would work with my MZ-NH1 Hi-MD recorder. I am specifically interested in the Griffin iTrip—FM Transmitter for iPod (Radioshack.com SKU# 12-2303) because it is the only FM transmitter I have found that will run off of the players battery.

I was hoping someone could tell me if the iPod accessories would work with my MZ-NH1 Hi-MD recorder.  I am specifically interested in the Griffin iTrip—FM Transmitter for iPod (Radioshack.com SKU# 12-2303) because it is the only FM transmitter I have found that will run off of the players battery.

I doubt it will work. The jack for the Ipod is not likely identical to the MZ-NH1. You can see the plug for the audio that goes into the heaphone out, but the other pins are likely where it draws power from. Again, not likely the Ipod has the same connector that the Sony units do.

You will probably need one which uses batteries unfortunately. Even transmitting silence over FM takes power, so you need to have some way other than the headphone jack to get power. I think the iTrip uses the proprietory iPod plug thingy to get that power, which is not present on any other device.

Hi!

Any accessory that "clips" to the iPod or connects to it via the "blade" socket under the unit, like the iTrip, won't work with other personal-audio devices. If I was considering an FM transmitter, I would go for Belkin's unit with the LCD -- the TuneCast.

This battery-operated unit would have PLL transmitter circuitry like the iTrip, which means that it would yield a highly-stable signal, especially if the radio is a digitally-tuned set like most car radios that have come in to use since the late 80s. It would even work well with good-quality analogue-tuned sets that are known to pull in and lock down signals in a highly-reliable manner.

With regards,

Simon Mackay

Edited by SimonMackay