The Easy Way To Force Non Himd Users To Upgrade

Rate this topic

samplehunter

Hi there,

I have formatted an old MD in HiMD mode with my NH900.

with my MZ-R30 the disc will show these tracks labelled "HiMD Disk".

this is normal. In the faq it's said that the first track contains silence. (actually it's a 1khz sine at about -12dB for me)

The frightening thing is when you try to erase the disk in the R30. It's just impossible!

I would understand that you cannot delete a single track solely.

But if i want to execute an "Erase All" i normally know what I'm doing.

The only thing the R30 shows is "TrPROTECT". So if this behaviour is the same on all old MD equipment you could be a bad guy and render someones MD blanks useless for him. Only you, with your sophisticated HiMD unit can allow him to store music again on his MD blanks (and only if he really begs you for it :-) )

So what do you think about this "feature"?

it has to do with the way the himd formats the disc. the r30 is hardly a current model - so full backward compatibility was never going to happen.

along with romb i'm not sure where you are going with this thread

yes.. are you saying thst you can't put the md's back into md mode from hi-md mode? yes you can, but only through sonicstage via a hi-md device. Pop the disc in, open sonicstage, and go "disk/media info" there, select "net md mode" and press ok. That will bring the disk back into net md mode so you can use it on your jolly r30 happy.gif