Net Md Sound Quality

Rate this topic

andyk

I've been lurking at Head-fi.org tonight, and I came across a review titled, "Personal CD Players through the Ages ~ A Review.

It's long, but I get a kick out of the audiophile-speak. Well, the review got me to thinking that I haven't listened/compared my 2 Sony discmen to my MD players. So I went upstairs and rummaged through my 16 year old daughters bedroom to find one and dusted off the other I found in my closet. I threw in some AA batteries in both units, stuffed my Shure E3C's in my ears, and proceded to compare original store bought CD's to the MD's I transferred in LP2.

By far, the MD players shine. I have a very hard time telling that I'm listening to compressed music. I also noticed a very annoying whine in the CD player built in 2000.

The 1994 CD player sounded like I was listening through two rolls of toilet paper, it was so "unclear". It's been probably 6 years since I listened to the '94. Now I know what this review was talking about. The quality of sound from personal CD players apparently took a dive after 1992. Try it for yourself. Compare your PCDP to your MD. Which do you like better?

Andy

Edited by andyk

Maybe that's more to do with the headphone amps/outputs of certain CD players. Or perhaps the headphnes used. I currently have three Sony CD players - Sony D-NE900, D-EJ2000 and a D-FJ61, and I wouldn't say any of them sounds any worse than my MD players. Certainly not muddy or veiled etc. with good recordings and headphones/earphones.

To be honest, they all more or less sound about the same - ie. very good thank you. Mind you a cheap Philips CD player I had in about the mid-90's sounded pretty awful, but that's long since gone...