Sp Vs Lp2 Vs Lp4 Sonicstage Using Rh910 (2nd Gen)

Rate this topic

though

i made this post just before the forum got corrupted.

anyways, using sonicstage 3 and my RH910 to transfer mp3s from my computer to my NetMD discs, i can choose between SP, LP2 and Lp4.

SP takes about 30 seconds for 1 song

LP2 takes about 7 seconds for 1 song

LP4 takes about 5 seconds for 1 song

my question: between SP and LP2, which sounds BETTER? people have said that SP = LP2 when using sonicstage. if it is the same, why does it take so much longer to transfer via SP vs LP2 ? not doubting anyone, just want to clarify.

troy

Sonicstage is unable store/transfer SP data. What it does is internally convert the track to PCM and send that raw PCM data to the minidisc. The minidisc hardware would then convert the raw PCM to standard SP Atrac.

though is talking about NetMD discs. I don't know about Hi-MD, but in the case of NetMD, true SP transfers are not possible. If you choose SP as the transfer format, SonicStage converts the file to LP2 and transfers it to your unit as if it was SP. In other words, there is no quality difference between LP2 and SP when using SonicStage, unfortunately.

SonicStage has this feature because of compatibility with older units that only support the SP format.

Slightly wrong....

sonicstage stores the LP2 file on the PC, yes.

When sonicstage transfers it as SP it actually decodes the LP2 to PCM on the PC and transfers the raw PCM data to the minidisc. The minidisc device then encodes from the raw PCM to SP for storeage.

Ah ok, thanks. Didn't know that.

so you're saying that even though it takes longer to transfer the mp3 over (in SP mode) vs LP2 mode, the end result is the exact same?

Exactly. So, for MDLP player owners it is just a waste of space, unless you want to exchange discs with someone who has an SP-only unit.