New Sony Hi-md Bookshelf To Arrive Soon.

Christopher

EDIT ON 4/20; THIS UNIT HAS BEEN RELEASED, MORE INFO HERE: http://www.minidisc.org/keep/sony_cmt-ah10.htm

Reposted due to forum crash.

A *.inf file [NETMD033.inf] in the latest Personal Audio drivers [drivers for some Hi-MD + NetMD] feature this gem:

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_017E  ; MZ-NH1

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_0180  ; MZ-NH3D

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_0182  ; MZ-NH900

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_0184  ; MZ-NH800/NH700

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_0186  ; MZ-NH600/NH600D

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_0188  ; MZ-N920

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_018A  ; LAM-3

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_01E9  ; MZ-DH10P

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_0219  ; MZ-RH10

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_021B  ; MZ-RH910

ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_054C&PID_021D  ; CMT-AH10

A CMT-AH10, eh? bigsmile.gif Oddly enough, that model does not exist. So, with such similar nomenclature as the other new *.mp3 compatible portable Hi-MD units, could this be the one for those of you looking for something stateside [or abroad] that can really play nice with Hi-MD? Imagine filling cd's with a ton of *.mp3's and making high speed dubs, or just using it via computer. Could ATRAC3plus really shine here? Will Sony continue it's good streak with another attractive facade?

Older CMT bookshelfs are nice, let's take a look at a few from years back.

[released 2003] The popular CMT-M333NT:

user posted image

[released 2001] CMT-C7NT [don't be fooled, had 20mW output + more]:

user posted image

Sadly though, no CMT in recent times has featured a optical out but the M333NT was a powerful bookshelf for it's time. Let's hope Sony really caters to Hi-MD enthusiasts and delivers.

Will the release of bookshelf systems be a sign that Sony really is confident on setting a new standard in audio? I'm pretty sure Hi-MD has the potential of getting popular as long as there's no sign of serious competitors releasing HDD bookshelf systems.

And yes, a 19" deck would be great.

What kind of features would you guys like to see in a Hi-MD bookshelf?

usb hookup for titling

"jump ahead" by ten track increments button

multi-line display of track titles...my former mz-n10 and current n920 allow me to look at three consecutive titles at once.

the ability to scroll through titles while a song is playing

Wowee! Here are some of the other cool features this unit provides:

* Preset EQ/VTP Engine

* Plays Audio CDs, MP3 CDs, ATRAC CDs.

* Reads CD-Text

* Supports HiMD (Audio/Data) & NetMD. Can record in regular MDLP and SP modes!

* Sleep timer / record timer.

And here is the clincher:

* It is possible to transfer Hi-MD recordings made from cassette tape / CD / FM-AM radio back to the PC via SonicStage.

user posted image

DIGITAL OUT, DIGITAL OUT and DIGITAL OUT. But it will never happen. Sony has too many masters, and the music business will make sure that the audio products side will knuckle under. They are paranoid about digital copies and want DRM to cover everything.

I, for one, would love to buy a full size Hi-MD deck with both digital in and digital out to replace my ageing JBS920. However, I won't buy unless it meets my requirements, no matter how pretty it looks.