Vanished Australia Topic

Rate this topic

lyceemoliere

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wink, sefu, zath any guide on pricing? sony's done well to drop the prices on the new models in the US & europe, really like to see inline pricing for australia too. sony's marketing dept would do well to read parts of this thread.

I'm meant not to say anything but the 2G models look good for Australian release soon. It might be within the next 1 or 2 months.

Sefu, without being rude, where did you get this information from? I have not been privy to any of this at all, which means that I question the source.

The only information I have AT ALL regarding minidisc in Australia is that the current models will be current until the end of the year.

I do hope it turns out to be correct however.

In the next week I will hopefully have the opportunity to DIRECTLY talk to some executives from Sony Australia, the decision makers. I will post what I hear.

Within the RH10 Service Manual, there is specific information regarding destination codes and accessories part numbers, which bears classification of AUS - Australian model.

Man I hope this pans out, as because this is the model I want. Even if the base models are not released, I hope this survives.

Ok I shouldnt of said anything but what I said is not confirmed and a estimated guess from a few factors and sources I have. Don't quote me. I will keep my mouth shut now and have my fingers crossed hoping I am correct tongue.gif

I hope 2G Hi-MDs come, cos i really want one! They're so cool! One thing, they better sell better if they come!

A reason behind why Hi-MDs did not sell too well in oz is cos:

-Aussie minds are simple

-We like pretty things like Apple iPods

-We don't do our research when it comes to electronics. We let ACA or 'Today Tonight' to do it. *Current affair programs*

-We're easily brainwashed by Americans E.g. *once again* Apple

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat with my fingers crossed that 2G hi-mds will come

*SONY PLEASE DON'T LET ME FALL OFF MY SEAT!*

Edited by Silvadragon

I hope 2G Hi-MDs come, cos i really want one! They're so cool! One thing, they better sell better if they come!

A reason behind why Hi-MDs did not sell too well in oz is cos:

-Aussie minds are simple

-We like pretty things like Apple iPods

-We don't do our research when it comes to electronics. We let ACA or 'Today Tonight' to do it. *Current affair programs*

-We're easily brainwashed by Americans E.g. *once again* Apple

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat with my fingers crossed that 2G hi-mds will come

*SONY PLEASE DON'T LET ME FALL OFF MY SEAT!*

even if they bring them here they'll still cost an arm and a leg, importing a RH910 from mindisco or minidisc canada with shipping costs around $AU310 and at that price here all you can buy is a NH 700 for that price and thats only coz minidisc.com.au takes $170 off the price

OK Guys, I have a bit of news for you all.

I had the opportunity to ask some questions of some high Sony personnel on a range of things, and I made a point of asking what the deal is with Minidisc.

Now, its good news, Sony are continuing with Minidisc in Australia. I could not get complete assurance that the 2nd Gen models would be coming, but "they should be". There is nothing really firm as yet tho, date, models price or anything.

However, as I predicted, there is going to be much more emphasis on the huge range of MP3/Atrac players which will be coming out in the next few months, and hopefully sales will be good on those.

So hopefully that means I will get my digital camera HIMD in Australia!

visited minidisc.com.au, one thing, i don't really like buying things over the internet with a credit card.

Credit card is not the only option, we have COD for the cautious customers smile.gif and I am sure many people can vouch our creditbility.

Thanks Zathura for the update

If you look around he cost of the current Hi-MD units are not too bad.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new NH-1 without the"bonus" pack for $475 here in Adelaide.......while over at Sony Central they were still at $799....oh well you know why they don't seem to be selling then!

MEH! probably the same prices here in melb!

Im just hanging for headphones atm, but it would be nice to see more Hi-MD units hanging in melb, cos the ppl on the trams give u a strange look if u wip out ur MD to change tracks on change disc. Its like a : 'aren'tu part of the white ear-phone army (ipod)?' look.

It pisses me off!

I WANT 2nD GEN Hi-MD!

lol, the bass depth for ipods isn't as good as sony minidisc. The equaliser settings for the ipod distort the sound, there are ways to fix that by pre-equalising your mp3's but then the music becomes soft and you have to boost the volume, so too much effort required on that part.

minidisc look way kewler than ipod tongue.gif

growing trend in sydney is that many people are starting to buy those solid state mp3 players as their tiny, im my own experience they also lack bass compared to md sleep.gif

so md for me =)

I am, with my MDRE-888s and MZ-NH900, they are the most deadly mix!

it absolutely killed the ipods that my friends had in terms of sound quality!

lets just hope that 2G Hi-MD will come as mentioned with the pulling of the 1 and 800 off the siteb good news.

Very interesting

For now i'm gonna focus on gettin' some senn. PX100s

MD's R.U.L.E!

Edited by Silvadragon

The lack of Minidisc on Sony Style intrigues me. I also noticed that on the MZN600 it says the bundle offer finishes on 31/8/05.

As much as I appreciate you guys providing information, it really gives me the shits that I hear a lot of stuff from here, rather than work directly and I am having to dig information up rather than being told as I should. wacko.gif

Edited by Zathura

The lack of Minidisc on Sony Style intrigues me. I also noticed that on the MZN600 it says the bundle offer finishes on 31/8/05.

As much as I appreciate you guys information, it really gives me the shits that I hear a lot of stuff from here, rather than work directly, and I am having dig information up rather than being told as I should. wacko.gif

i know how you feel, as a comsumer i'm alway pissed if i know more than sales & support staff. being informed but working for a company where [some] the customers know more than company policy must be disconcerting. i used to have the same problem when i worked for telstra mobilenet.

OK, this is my first post here.

(Background)

A few weeks ago I received an MZ-RH10 unit, which I had ordered from Yahoo Japan auctions through a deputy service. All up, it cost me around 430 AUD (incl. fees and shipping).

I am now crazy over it, my little pet I bring with me everywhere. Enjoying wearing black earphones in the sea of milk-white earbuds.

I had not adopted the MD format before due to the lack of MP3 support, extremely restrictive DRM (with limited checkouts or what not before) and earlier on because it required analogue-type recording, of which I am not a big fan. Whenever possible, I try to go full digital. The recent changes to the 2nd Generation HiMD format has meant that there is a bigger motivation for users like me (considered "mainstream") to take up the Hi MD.

(Post actual)

Japanese edition of MZ-RH10 I received did not come with Hi-MD media bundled. I was looking for it at JB-HiFi (Galeries Victoria, CBD) last week, and they were out of stock. I asked the person "When are the Hi-MD's coming in?", to which she replied "Word from Sony says late May, early June."

I was asking about the media, but from her reply, it seemed she was talking about units.

I totally agree that Sony could do much more in terms of promotion of MD/Hi-MD in Australia.

I agree www.minidisc.com.au is good. O yeah, icie, Go Audio Visual (melbourne central mall) is now open i checked it today, a friend told me that its been open for about 1 or 2 days now. Im pretty sure they have plenty of stock, so why not pop down to melb for some Hi-MDs. Also JB-Hi-fi bourke street and elizabeth street have stock. So what are u goin' on about?????

I still want 2G Hi-MD regardless!

Join the rebellion against the sea of white headphones

I can also recommend minidisc.com.au - good prices, prompt delivery. The have HiMD blanks for 5AUD each, and if I remember correctly they currently have a deal going where you can get 20 HiMD blanks and a MD rack for 99AUD  biggrin.gif

Correct, purchase 20 Hi-MD blanks for $99AUD and get a free 24 MD rack biggrin.gif

Thanks for your praises smile.gif

Ok its official. Release date for new models will be October of this year! I dont know which models will be released here, but what ever is will be released then.

I also had a look at the next pulse magazine today, and they dont list any new minidisc models, but the do show the new MP3 models.

Yeah, the 'Pulse' magazine that sony issues out every 4 months (i think), is a leading indicator of the new models. E.g. i found out about the Hi-MDs way b4 the general public knew cos of it. But OCTOBER is a bit far away... sad.gif

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't ranting about not being able to get Hi-MD's -- I know about minidisc.com.au and all that. It was just during my initial hunt for a quick Hi-MD to get me started, I heard an interesting rumour and wanted to share it.

October is a bit late, but it does sound reasonable. I am looking forward to seeing ads on Hi-MD, though I must say I don't hold much hope as the first gen Hi-MD's weren't even promoted all that much.