Sp V/s Hi-sp

Rate this topic

sebastianbf

hello everyone

i have a mznh900 and i'm recording some complete albums in 80 minutes minidisc. i want to ask you which format has the better quality : the old SP or HI-SP?

ohh another question: is there anyway that i could edit my recordings that i downloaded from the computer with s.s 3 ? it doesn't matter if i have to edit them before i download to himd , but how?

thanks

sebastian

Are you recording via the pc? Assuming you are recording via the pc, hi-sp is best, because via sonicstage true sp does not exist, it is lp2 rebadged as sp (I think - there is a lot of talk about this, but I don't always take it all in! - please feel free to correct me if I am spouting rubbish.).

Otherwise, for normal optical line in recording, I believe that the last 3 posts are pretty unanimous!

Edited by matrulesok

That's correct. If you select SP in Sonicstage... you end up with LP2 rebaged as SP.

As for line in recording, the general concensus is that SP is better, but only MARGINALLY so. There was a thread about ABX tests on SP vs. Hi-SP a while ago I believe - SP was the victor, but only by a very slight margin. You wouldn't be able to compare the two just on a single listen.

If you have a Hi-MD, why not take advantage of what Hi-SP has to offer.

ohh another question: is there anyway that i could edit my recordings that i downloaded from the computer with s.s 3 ?

SonicStage isn't much of a sound editor, although it does have Divide and Combine under its Edit menu.

But you can easily edit the recordings in your computer with another program, like Audacity, which is free.

audacity.sourceforge.net

This is assuming that the recordings you want to edit are in formats like .mp3 or .wav. If for some reason they are in SonicStage's proprietary .oma format, then use SonicStage to convert them to .wav (under Tools) and edit the .wav files.

For Transfer the MZ-NH900 I would reommend the Hi-SP mode, a better compression rate with a negligeable difference in Sound Quality. If you are transferring via the PC all the more reason! After a few minutes of listening on either mode Hi-SP or SP the brain will fill in the gaps and you 'll stop thinking about the makeup of the sounds you're hearing and begin to focus on the music!

Hi-LP on the other hand....

HiSP - downloadable from SS, 256kbps, 2:23 on a single MD80 formatted as HiMD;

SP - realtime transfers only via analogue or optical, 292kbps, 80 minutes on an MD80, no compatibility with 1GB discs.

If you require backwards-compatibility, go with SP and realtime recording. If you don't, HiSP is quite decent.

That's correct. If you select SP in Sonicstage... you end up with LP2 rebaged as SP.

As for line in recording, the general concensus is that SP is better, but only MARGINALLY so. There was a thread about ABX tests on SP vs. Hi-SP a while ago I believe - SP was the victor, but only by a very slight margin. You wouldn't be able to compare the two just on a single listen.

If you have a Hi-MD, why not take advantage of what Hi-SP has to offer.

i thought that in sonicstage 3 the sp mode is really sp not like older versions of sonicstage where you had an sp file but it was really a lp2 file. am i wrong?