Mz-nh1 Vs Mzr-h10

Rate this topic

cool_hand

Should I buy the MZ-NH1 cheap or wait for the MZR-H10? I use a Macintosh so the transfer facility by USB is not important to me – although I guess I could do this using USB? The MZ-NH1 has pitch control which could be quite usefull (but not essential) — I don't think the MZR-H10 has this feature. Comments are welcome. Regards, Julian.

the mzn-h1 has a HD-amp. the rh10 only has a digital amp. neither can be used with macs when transferring music, because sonicstage, which is required for PLAYABLE music transfer, is not mac compatible.

perhaps, someone could make a program for the mac that encodes mp3s to hi-md mp3 dats, as just recently discovered.

Should I buy the MZ-NH1 cheap or wait for the MZR-H10? I use a Macintosh so the transfer facility by USB is not important to me – although I guess I could do this using USB? The MZ-NH1 has pitch control which could be quite usefull (but not essential) — I don't think the MZR-H10 has this feature. Comments are welcome. Regards, Julian.

Guess it depends. What do you plan on using it for? Play only, recording only, mix of both? If you're going to record, then day or night?

hello, i've been thinking of buying another md player in the near future. i'm either going to buy a net md or one of the new hi-md ones.

for hi-md i'm thinking of choosing between an nh1 and an rh10. is it true that the rh10, the newest MD recorder, won't allow you to record using it without formatting your old discs to hi-md?

i was browsing through old old posts earlier but i wasn't sure if i hallucinated that one so i'm asking it here.

anyway if that's really the case i'll probably be choosing between an nh1 or a net md and ignore the rh10. i want to be able to record stuff that'll still be playable on my mz-r900 (old old old i know).

hello, i've been thinking of buying another md player in the near future. i'm either going to buy a net md or one of the new hi-md ones.

for hi-md i'm thinking of choosing between an nh1 and an rh10. is it true that the rh10, the newest MD recorder, won't allow you to record using it without formatting your old discs to hi-md?

i was browsing through old old posts earlier but i wasn't sure if i hallucinated that one so i'm asking it here.

anyway if that's really the case i'll probably be choosing between an nh1 or a net md and ignore the rh10. i want to be able to record stuff that'll still be playable on my mz-r900 (old old old i know).

You can use the RH10 to create legacy MD's with SP, LP2 or LP4 but only with Sonic Stage. You cannot record live on the unit in the legacy MD modes.

I too am thinking about buying an NH1 cheap from Amazon.

Was going to get the NH900 but ........GONE! ohmy.gif

Even the NHF800 as I haven't had an MD player with a radio since the MZ-F40, but thats gone as well. dry.gif

I currently have the NH700, and I have done most of my recording via USB and Simple Burner (hate SonicSuck!). That however would change if Sony made a decent Hi-Fi deck... cool.gif

NH700 to MZNH1 for just over £100, worth it or wait for RH10? huh.gif

Edited by MDGB2

I ended up ordering the NH1. I think the amazon £109 deal was to good to be missed. I think the RH10 is going to retail for around £160/170 but I just couldn't wait. The battery life is fine on the NH1 – if you compare it to other models when using just the lithium it's very good. May be not ideal for a long trip but then I don't do those that often. I'll post my opinion when I recieve and have had time to check it out.

I ended up ordering the NH1. I think the amazon £109 deal was to good to be missed. I think the RH10 is going to retail for around £160/170 but I just couldn't wait. The battery life is fine on the NH1 – if you compare it to other models when using just the lithium it's very good. May be not ideal for a long trip but then I don't do those that often. I'll post my opinion when I recieve and have had time to check it out.

Battery life on the NH1 is more than acceptible for playback. I get a solid 16-18 hours of play with LP2 on a 1G disc. For that price the NH1 is hard to beat.

I recived the NH1 today. It looks very nice but I have to say the charging cradle sucks - i t makes using the machine difficult as you have to remove it from the cradle to change a disk. I am never going to be using it with sonic-stage as I'm a Mac user. The controls are difficult, I can still not switch off the beep and I have read the manual! The remote is very bulky and very plastic. The headphones do not sound to good either - the ones supplied with my MZR-50 sounded better.

It sounds fine through my stereo - but then you can't use the remote when you put it through a stereo. At least the MZR-50 had a dedicated line out.

I also feel the build quality of the MZR-50 to be better.

This seems to be badly designed on the part of SONY - style over usage. I am sure it is technically excellent but they should of considered the end-user!

I am wondering if i should of opted for the NH-900.

It looks like I got the last of Amazons stock but I'm tempted to return this.

The latest machines won't record standard MD format - is that right?

I recived the NH1 today. It looks very nice but I have to say the charging cradle sucks - i t makes using the machine difficult as you have to remove it from the cradle to change a disk. I am never going to be using it with sonic-stage as I'm a Mac user. The controls are difficult, I can still not switch off the beep and I have read the manual! The remote is very bulky and very plastic. The headphones do not sound to good either - the ones supplied with my MZR-50 sounded better.

It sounds fine through my stereo - but then you can't use the remote when you put it through a stereo. At least the MZR-50 had a dedicated line out.

I also feel the build quality of the MZR-50 to be better.

This seems to be badly designed on the part of SONY - style over usage. I am sure it is technically excellent but they should of considered the end-user!

I am wondering if i should of opted for the NH-900.

It looks like I got the last of Amazons stock but I'm tempted to return this.

The latest machines won't record standard MD format - is that right?

I've received my NH1 today too! I found it a bit odd that there wasn't some sort of seal or shrink wrap on the box. Also my battery had some charge and the earphones were already connected to the remote.

I'm suspecting they sent me a returned item. How did yours come packed?

By the way, to turn off the beep you need to change the menu mode from simple to advanced:

on the main unit press [menu] and then [FF] or [FR] until you read "menu mode" press [ENT] (push the 5 way control key) then use [FF] or [FR] to select "advanced" and [ENT] again.

On the remote press and hold the jog dial for a few seconds to enter the menu. Then it's more or less equivalent.

The advanced menu has a beep setting under "option".

Hope it helps.

- Sony don't tend shrink wrap the boxes of MD units.

- The headphones are supposed to be connected to the remote (they are packed this way, typically together with the remote in the felt bag).

- The battery will have some resident charge, but should be charged ASAP.

I've received my NH1 today too!  I found it a bit odd that there wasn't some sort of seal or shrink wrap on the box. Also my battery had some charge and the earphones were already connected to the remote.

By the way, to turn off the beep you need to change the menu mode from simple to advanced:

on the main unit press [menu] and then [FF] or [FR] until you read "menu mode" press [ENT] (push the 5 way control key) then use [FF] or [FR] to select "advanced" and [ENT] again.

On the remote press and hold the jog dial for a few seconds to enter the menu. Then it's more or less equivalent.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Rob F1UK

I've received my NH1 today too!  I found it a bit odd that there wasn't some sort of seal or shrink wrap on the box. Also my battery had some charge and the earphones were already connected to the remote.

Send it back straight away. This is obviously a used unit, and there is no way they should ship out used earphones, this is un-hygenic.

If you are otherwise happy that everything is intact, the least they can do is get you a new pair of earbuds.

Edited by Wedge

Send it back straight away.  This is obviously a used unit, and there is no way they should ship out used earphones, this is un-hygenic.

If you are otherwise happy that everything is intact, the least they can do is get you a new pair of earbuds.

I to ordered a NH-1 last week monday an it arrived wendesday, very pleased with the delivery time.

My unit came shrinkwrapped so you may have a used unit.

I think the build quality is actually really good on this player compared to my MZ N510? Net MD Player.

However i am dissapointed that i am not able to transfer songs to the player when it is in the cradle.

Everything else im happy with, the remote is good and really easy to use but I am surprised by the size of the buttons on the unit but then i don't think sony were intending you to use the buttons on the unit much.

Hope it helps.

Mine was not sealed. Headphones were connected to the remote. however I think it's new and not returned as all the cables had the wrap wire on them. Amazon would also be obliged to state as refurbished if this was the case – I really don't think Amazon would sell returned goods as new.

What do you think of the machine?

If you're using a Mac... and all you want to do is play music portably...

Just save yourself headache and get an iPod. No other DAP is as well integrated with Macs. None.

I have 100 mini-disks but my old mini-disk player was stolen. Obviously I could buy an iPod but I would not be able to play my old MD's!!! Some music on them can not be replaced. So I may as well have a new machine that can record to.

Mine was not sealed. Headphones were connected to the remote. however I think it's new and not returned as all the cables had the wrap wire on them. Amazon would also be obliged to state as refurbished if this was the case – I really don't think Amazon would sell returned goods as new.

I, too, bought an NH1 from Amazon.co.uk, and I reckon it's a cast-off from the US (the warranty on the back of the manual states that it's applicable only in the USA and Canada). Mine wasn't sealed, but I think that's because Amazon had to change the charger from one that used a two-pin US plug to one that had a three-pin UK plug. Also, there's no cut-off when you increase the volume past the magic value of 23. So, it's definitely not a Euro spec.

I, too, bought an NH1 from Amazon.co.uk, and I reckon it's a cast-off from the US (the warranty on the back of the manual states that it's applicable only in the USA and Canada). Mine wasn't sealed, but I think that's because Amazon had to change the charger from one that used a two-pin US plug to one that had a three-pin UK plug. Also, there's no cut-off when you increase the volume past the magic value of 23. So, it's definitely not a Euro spec.

I think you could be right about this being a US cas-off as the User manual has warranty on back – as you mention. however a Eoro Guarantee is enclosed in the box for it's worth.

No doubt the machine is the same.

I did find a way of overcoming the problem of having no dedicated line out. Just unplug the head-phones and put your line into the remote.

Have to say so far I've not been greatly impressed by the unit. Very much style over content. I'm tempted to return this and look at picking up something (standard MD) off eBay! I'm very happy I did not pay £200 – it is simply not worth the money.

Have to say so far I've not been greatly impressed by the unit. Very much style over content. I'm tempted to return this and look at picking up something (standard MD) off eBay! I'm very happy I did not pay £200 – it is simply not worth the money.

If you're looking for a low cost standard MD unit, then Amazon has the MZ-N250 for £39.99 - a steal. Check it out here: MZ-N250

that would be an N520 btw, not a N250 which doesn't exist.

You're quite right - a typo on my behalf. I thought £30 for my old MZ-R55 was quite low when I sold it on eBay a few months ago. However, if the buyer saw this N520 he'd be kicking himself, especially as the R55's battery life was a mere couple of hours on one charge.

Edited by bucksfizz

I didn't have much time to fiddle with it yet, but overall I'm very pleased with it. Transfer speed with SS3 is quite fast (my other unit is a NetMD nf810), the controls and build quality are very good.

I'm experiencing some problems though. Yesterday I was listening to one of my MDs recorded in my old unit and on some tracks there was an intermitent silent gap during the music (1 sec or less of silence every 20 secs or so). This only happened to a particular group, transfered from my PC. Tracks recorded from line-in or mic and even others from PC didn't have this problem. I've seen the same problem reported elsewhere in this forum.

I'd guess that because the Hi-MD format increases the density of data recorded in the disc, thus having a finer resolution, it would be more prone to this sort of errors, but I'm not sure these problems come from the discs or from the NH1...

Today I filled one new 80min MD on Hi-LP mode with SS3 and one of the about 20 or so tracks I've listened to was very strange, skipping and with bits of white noise. I still have to check its source in my PC to see if the problem was in the transfer.

I've checked and the problem (just the one from the last paragraph above) comes from a pressing defect on the CD surface which didn't manifest in my CD player but messes up in the CD drive. NH1 absolved on that one...

Edited by Ruggi

I think the build quality is actually really good on this player compared to my MZ N510? Net MD Player.

Everything else im happy with, the remote is good and really easy to use but I am surprised by the size of the buttons on the unit but then i don't think sony were intending you to use the buttons on the unit much.

The quality of the build I agree with but the headphones are really not up to much. On a unit costing £200/£250 you'd expect better headphones. The ones that came with my MZR-50 were better than these. Can anyone recommend some replacement phones? The machine itself sounds pretty clean - probably casue it's got a HD Amp!

Some other comments. Although I've not had much time to play with the unit it does sound very good, recordings are great played back through my stereo. You get that nice SONY warm sound with lot's of clarity.

I'm also very excited that I an go out at record a whole 5 hour gig and not worry about changing the disc after an hour - that forme is one of the biggest plus points.

One thing that does suck is a lot of the editing features have to be done using the remote. For example if you want to delete a track you have to access feature that on the remote. I think thta is a really bad design flaw. Any many ways this machine does to much, there's to many options and it take a lot of work to understand everything in the manual. It's not very intuitive to use. Any very fiddly.

Are there any machines from the first generation which are easier to use?

If you're using a Mac... and all you want to do is play music portably...

Just save yourself headache and get an iPod. No other DAP is as well integrated with Macs. None.

Hi Aeriyn,

You are very knowlegeable, and have many useful insights, but his is prmarily a minidisc site, and most people her love their minidiscs shorfalls and all.

Ipods may have some advantages, but when the hard drive crashes, ouch.

Agreed though, with a Mac it may have some advantages, but it is not the best by a very long shot.

The best does not exist, that is why we have choices.

Have a good one,

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I recived the NH1 today. It looks very nice but I have to say the charging cradle sucks...

Does the charging cradle also connect to the USB cable?

If you're not really happy with the unit, I am looking to buy one soon. If you're considering selling it, let me know.

Thanks

Lyle

AboutFace@shaw.ca

From what I recall, the NH1 doesn't actually have a euro spec model. Hence you don't have to worry about euro volume capping etc. It would also explain why your warranty is a US one (interestingly enough, I bought my NH900 from a major electronics retailer here in Australia, and the warranty on the back of the manual is for the US only). Can anyone else confirm this?

uhm... so which unit is the best? i have to buy one of these 2 md and i really don't know which one... please HELP!!!

does nh1 have a indirect mp3 compability although converting to atrac? can i download to the computer a pcm recording in wav???

Edited by corduroy

I guess it's all a matter of what you're going to be doing the most. As far as I see it, the RH10 is slightly better as a recorder (better on-unit controls, better battery life) while the NH1 is slightly better as a player (smaller, more remote orientated). If you hate remotes, get the RH10. If you like metal, get the NH1. They're both escellent units.

thanks again! just the last question and i will be very satisfied: can i download PCM recordings to the computer via usb saving them in wav with NH1? depends only on the sonic stage version? with NH1 can i use 3.1?

thanks

yes you can upload PCM recordings with the NH1 and yes ou can and should use SS3.1 (or the latest version of SS at the time you get your player)