Moving Live Mdlp Recordings To Pc?

Rate this topic

dvallere

I know this had to be on here somewhere...how to bring my live MDLP recordings onto the PC...because I did it in the fall with my son's school concert.

I KNOW that it is not possible to upload these recordings into Sonic Stage. I am not concerned with that. I just want to get the music from the MD onto the PC. My brother will be visiting a harp shop in the UK and recording some live sound samples for me, then I have asked him to email them to me here in the US. It's my job to find out how he does this.

I have spent a while combing old posts and while I found two posts referencing "post 7073," whenever I click it there's an error message that this post is not a valid post.

Is it still available on the board? I'm guessing I need some combo of sound card/cable with miniplug/headphone jack?

Thanks.

Donna,

I was just getting ready to do that this weekend.

Did you notice the second pinned category in this forum (NetMD + MDLP)?

If not, then here is what I am trying:

1) Get one male-to-male cable to go from headphone (or if you're lucky, Line Out) jack on your minidisc player. The other end goes into your sound card. Both ends should be 1/8". If you will be doing more recording in non Hi-MD, I would recommend gold plated plugs. They cost a little more, but are supposed to be better.

2) Turn up volume all the way (so I was told).

3) Find a recording software. I have an Audigy2 which will record a Wav file. I also did buy Total Recorder. It's my understanding that the Total Recorder can convert the file into an MP3 or other codec. My guess is that if you make an MP3, you will be able to import it into Sonic Stage.

4) Press record on your software, play on your minidisc. This is strictly an analogue recording, so however long your minidisc is, it will take the same amount of time transfering. I would recommend not using your pc for anything else during this time.

Good Luck

Weaves

It's here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7070

A good free recording program is Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity records its own format, .aup. When you're done recording, use the "Export as .wav" function to get .wav files, the highest fidelity.

The tough part may be getting an input into your computer. If your soundcard has a Line-In, you're fine. If your soundcard only has a mic-in, you're going to have to do some tests with levels. If your soundcard has a cheap lousy staticky mic-in, as many laptops do, then you'll need an outboard line-in like the Griffin Imic or the M-Audio Transit.

Thanks, all. I figured it out by seeing the cable sticking out of my sound card and deducing how to do it. Windows Sound Recorder is perfectly adequate for my needs. I wrote up the directions and put it in my blog so I have a reference for the future in case this board goes bust.

D.