• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only codes that we will authorize as being legitimate are:

US and Canadian: 20

AEP, UK and East European: A0

E, Hong Kong, Korean, Australian and Tourist: 24

Anything else is at your own risk.

I'm not sure I fully understand this. Does the 20 for US/Canadian come from the service manual? What about the owners who reported their unit was set to code 21? Can anyone verify that 20 does actually work? -Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've just changed the code on my RH10 from the as received European setting (A0) to 24 using the procedure described in this thread. All went as described except that the first time it didn't go into service mode. That was without any disc in. For my next try I put a disc in and it worked - but it might be that I was a bit faster pressing the buttons. I think someone mentioned previously that you have to put in the sequence fast. The picture (assuming I've attached it properly) shows the screen just before changing the 0113 setting from A0 to 24 (apologies for the camera shake). There is no sign of the DistFL mentioned in the first post of this thread so presumably only some models show this.

I measured the output power before and after the mod. I used a test disc which I made by a digital copy from an old test CD I had. The disc has tracks giving sinewaves at various frequencies and at several levels. I used tracks at 0dB which is maximum peak to peak digital amplitude (-32767 to +32767). I looked at the output waveform on a scope. The results are as follows.

1 On European setting, equaliser at normal, volume at max:

1 kHZ into a 16 ohm resistive load 0.62 V p to p = 3.0 mw into 16 ohms

2 After changing to destination code 24, equaliser at normal, volume at max:

1 kHZ into a 16 ohm resistive load 0.90 V p to p = 6.3 mw into 16 ohms

1 kHz into open circuit 1.9 V (this is equivalent to use as line out)

Thus before modification I got 3 mW which is close to the spec of 2.8 mW. After modification I got 6.3 mW which is bit more than the specified 5 mW.

Subjectively it was louder after the mod but not by much. This is expected since the increase in power from 3 to 6.3 mW is only 3 dB which is not very much. Bear in mind that 1 dB is roughly the minimum difference in volume that can be easily discerned. (This might explain why some posts report no increase in volume after the mod - its just that they were expecting a large increase, which you don't get.)

After the mod I also checked the influence of the 6 band equaliser with volume at max. By pushing all the sliders to max there was no increase in p to p output on a 0dB signal - still 0.9 V p to p. However the output was now a squarewave - obviously the output was clipping. Thus you won't get any more output using the equaliser. However if you have recordings made at too low a level then maximising all the equaliser sliders would probably help - might have a fairly lumpy frequency response though!.

I also checked the effect of setting the rightmost (10 kHz) slider to max. I found the following response:

1kHz 0dB

2kHz 0 dB

5 kHz +3 dB

10 kHz +7dB

15 kHz +9 dB

18 kHz +7 dB

20 kHz +2 dB

(This was with the volume set at a mid setting so output not clipping)

I haven't checked any other equaliser setting but this gives an idea of how they work.

post-8084-1117031120_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidb

Hi here, I'm a new comer and I got a RH910 last week

after I had followed the instructions here, my eq in RH910 comes with custom 1 and 2 (cannot edit the existing EQ e.g. heavy, pop...etc)

However, I have no idea for the Chinese character display

any ideas?

your help would be appreciated

thanks

NV

ResAll CC

Clock CC

DistFL 24

DistFH 80

ClrVNV 00

Laser CC

Lrefpw 14

WrPwx4 A9

SettHM3 CC

HMD3RH 36

Temp CC

SetTmp 19

Dsptmp 20

TmpOfs DE

SET CC

DiscPr CC

NomiRP 2E

NomiRT 1E

NomiWP 8D

NomiWT 28

OptiRP 22

OptiWP 69

Adrs H 14

Adrs L 63

ResDrp CC

AdjUID CC

131253 118776

MD1Pr CC

DscSel 01

OTHER

LED

Ch0p H FF

Ch0p L 3F

Ch0p0F CC

LINE CC

MngFlg CC

MngF1 00

MngF2 00

Other CC

TsbSsb 00

these are the codes for my MD RH-910. can anyone compare and check whether any field is not same as yours? because mine one really cannot play back mp3 directly. whatever files i have tried on. so i would like to compare these code with yours to see what are the differents. who knows it might be the firmware's problem that i can easily fix it using modify the value..

Hey man, let's try

i checked with my RH910

i wonder to know can I display chinese on my RH910

Edited by harley

Hi!

I have one MZ-RH10 the last week (I am in Paris) and I would try to change the settings for the EQ and the volume. After this, the quality of my recordings in PCM will be the same? It is very important for me!

Thanks for your answer

I have done the changes in the first page of this topic. I am in France, and after the changes (113 and ...24) I have 2 customs EQ, but-I think- the max volume is the same. Have I done anything wrong??

The only codes that we will authorize as being legitimate are:

US and Canadian: 20

AEP, UK and East European: A0

E, Hong Kong, Korean, Australian and Tourist: 24

Anything else is at your own risk.

I have done the changes in the first page of this topic. I am in France, and after the changes (113    and    ...24) I have 2 customs EQ, but-I think- the max volume is the same. Have I done anything wrong??

I have the same problem, after applying firmware hack(region 24) I have 2 custom eqs, but max volume is the same sad.gif Any idea ? AVLS is off, certainly

Is there a way to make it possible to record in the original MD and MDLP modes, along wiht the Hi-md modes for the MZRH10?

And if it's possible can the service manual be posted?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to MDCF!

Recording in MDLP modes are not possible with all 2nd generation Hi-MD. You will need to you use SonicStage to transfer the MDLP format you desire onto a 2nd generation unit such as the RH10.

I have the same problem, after applying firmware hack(region 24) I have 2 custom eqs, but max volume is the same sad.gif Any idea ? AVLS is off, certainly

Are you sure max volume is the same - did you measure it? There is only a 3 dB increase which is not a great deal. Obvious in an A/B comparison but you can't do that because the mod to region 24 takes a while to do. Subjectively you might think there was no increase. See my last post on the measured increase.

But is the 24 OK for France?

Are you sure max volume is the same - did you measure it? There is only a 3 dB increase which is not a great deal. Obvious in an A/B comparison but you can't do that because the mod to region 24 takes a while to do. Subjectively you might think there was no increase. See my last post on the measured increase.

Welcome to MDCF!

Recording in MDLP modes are not possible with all 2nd generation Hi-MD. You will need to you use SonicStage to transfer the MDLP format you desire onto a 2nd generation unit such as the RH10.

Thanks for your help!

I really like this forum, and I hope to see more tweaks for my RH10 here.

biggrin.gif

Use the Custom EQ to add gain - ie, push all levers to the max.

That might be the reason, why the European version doesn't have Custom EQ-settings.

I finally managed the courage to change my code to 24.. but i lost the ability to edit the track titles now... same issue as someone else here.. these tracks are from the pc and i was able to edit this with the code set to the US model..

anybody else having this issue?

Use the Custom EQ to add gain - ie, push all levers to the max.

That might be the reason, why the European version doesn't have Custom EQ-settings.

You are right that will add gain but it won't increase the max volume because the output just clips at 900 mV p to p into 16 ohms which is the same as the maximum output with no equalisation. See my post #84 (http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=9752&view=findpost&p=57840)

BTW changing from A0 to 24 increases the max output from 3 to 6 mW into a 16 ohm load without the need to use the equalisers.

Just to clarify the no edit problem with code 24. As a previous post pointed out you can still edit titles for recordings made with mic or line in. I have also found that you can edit titles on old SP recordings which I made by digital CD copy on my JB920 deck.

But is the 24 OK for  France?

Not sure what you mean by is 24 OK for France? The only problem you might have is that I think you lose the accented characters in the character set (which you do get with A0). This is just from reading the operating instructions manual. You also lose some editing capabilities as noted in previous posts.

I finally managed the courage to change my code to 24.. but i lost the ability to edit the track titles now... same issue as someone else here.. these tracks are from the pc and i was able to edit this with the code set to the US model..

I know what you mean.

You can edit the track titles using the Sonic Stage software on your computer before you send the titles over to your MD. Once on the MD they stay that way.

You can upload music to your PC from the MD, edit the titles, and then send them back to the MD. But you know that, right.

You were able to change the titles before you changed the setting to 24? What was your setting before you changed it?

Hi all. My first post to the forum. Looking at all these posts and seeing that some people see the "DistFL" before the value, whereas some people don't, I've discovered that it's determined by whether the remote is plugged in or not. Keep the remote plugged in when applying the hack and you'll see "DistFL", apply it without the remote and it's not there. Not all that important I know, but it clears up the mystery!

• 2 weeks later...

Dont do that!!! I have done it, and my RH10, after that, dont works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've bought a RH710 (European Edition). I want to unlock the 2 extra custom settings for the equalizer, does anyone know how I enter the service mode of the RH710 to change the destination codes?

I couldn't wait, so I tried the hack with my brand new RH710, and...............................................................

IT WORKED!!!!!

I've now the 2 extra custom settings and the soundcap is removed (my unit plays notable louder)!!

Thank you minidisc.org!!

PS the original value of my RH710 at 0113 was A0

Edited by FezzFest

WOW thanks Kurisu - worked a treat! i can now actualy here the previoulsy near mute recording of oasis unplugged (rec of tv) on my rh10. The EQ adds volume to recorings in need of a boost.

Heres what i did for anyone contemplating what to do or is unsure.

Here's how you remove this limitation - by entering service mode you take full responsibility for your actions and cannot hold minidisc.org or it's associates liable for any damages occured - don't worry though, you'll be fine:

With the 'Hold' switch on, and while pressing 'Menu', press FF FF RW RW FF RW FF RW Pause Pause.

[FF = Fast Forward | RW = Rewind]

1.) Press the 'Vol +' key to enter the Manual mode.

2.) Press the 'FF' key five times to select the item number 0113.

***3.) Press the 'Vol +'/'Vol -'key and set the value that is after "DistFL", or if you don't see that, when you press 'Vol +'/'Vol -' a value will increase/decrease - change it to 24.***

***For this part i didnt see DistFL. All i did was change the last digits to 24 - ignore the fluctuating numbers on the left - just change it to 24 and carry on with the below instructions***

4.) Press the 'Pause' key on the unit to set the change.

5.) Press the 'Stop' key four times and then remove the battery or whatever is powering the unit. Turn it back on and enjoy!

Thanks again and up yours sony for being so pedantic with these new units (more so than previous units - espech with the cost saving menatlity.)

Thanks for the volume hack. This is very useful.

I am wondering if there are any hacks for the RH10 which would result in 'manual record' as opposed to 'automatic gain control' being the default setting.

Also, is it possible to lift the copyright protection so that if I uploaded some minidisc field recordings to my laptop I would also be able to also load them onto my desktop later on.

Robert

Hi,

I have the same problem..................

I am wondering if there are any hacks for the RH10 which would result in 'manual record' as opposed to 'automatic gain control' being the default setting.

nope, sorry...scan a bit through the live rec part...this has been addressed a lot before

Also, is it possible to lift the copyright protection so that if I uploaded some minidisc field recordings to my laptop I would also be able to also load them onto my desktop later on.

this has been addressed even much more times before (please search the forums before you ask these questions) and nope again: convert to wav (DRM free) and copy the wav files

Volta

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a good idea to move this post to the "essential Hi-MD faq's" or at least make a "sticky" out of it...

there are still a number of ppl looking for the 2nd gen hack

Volta

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

About 4 weeks ago I was in Japan on holiday, looking at how cheap and cool the MZ-R10's were, wishing I could find an english language one. By the end of my stay I'd managed to find a marginally more expensive "international" version that had english menu, and that I'd still need to buy an adapter for when I got home. Could have saved myself some frustration if I'd known I could have bought the JA version and changed the setting in service mode!

As the "International" version that I bought came with european plugs, I assume it was the european version. I followed the instructions on the first page and it seems to have worked.

Thanks all involved!

Oh, and I would have had an LCD remote, instead of the "basic" (putting it politely) RM-MC60. From a the point of view of someone used to Sony remotes (this it my 4th Sony MD player) I must say it is counter-intuitive some what of a step backwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone's favourite Belgian The Low Volta for linking me to this topic.

Works for me! I have a Euro MZRH10. Originally it showed the hex digit A0, you need to keep 'Vol -' pressed down to get down to 24.

Voila, I see Custom 1 and 2 EQ's which I have set to enable best playback from MP3 (see thread http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=10304&hl= for the settings).

I cannot title edit but that was expected.

The extra loudness is not really apparant to me. See topic link above for technical explanation of why that may not be.

I am gonna experiment with titling stuff in multibyte chars, hopefully the extra charset includes the 'font' for the narrow width Western alphabeticals. That would be sweet.

Here's how you remove this limitation - by entering service mode you take full responsibility for your actions and cannot hold minidisc.org or it's associates liable for any damages occured - don't worry though, you'll be fine:

With the 'Hold' switch on, and while pressing 'Menu', press FF FF RW RW FF RW FF RW Pause Pause.

[FF = Fast Forward | RW = Rewind]

1.) Press the 'Vol +' key to enter the Manual mode.

2.) Press the 'FF' key five times to select the item number 0113.

3.) Press the 'Vol +'/'Vol -'key and set the value that is after "DistFL", or if you don't see that, when you press 'Vol +'/'Vol -' a value will increase/decrease - change it to 24.

4.) Press the 'Pause' key on the unit to set the change.

5.) Press the 'Stop' key four times and then remove the battery or whatever is powering the unit. Turn it back on and enjoy!

For those of you in Europe, you now have a full equalizer, no restriction on volume, and Kanji/etc support. smile.gif North American unit owners can do the same for better language support.

I am currently in Australia, but had the good fortune of buying my sweet, oh-so-beeootiful RH10 from Minidisco, so I think I have the setting with the best combination of features. biggrin.gif

But at the risk of asking a naive and stupid question (been travelling, so I've been out of the MD loop for awhile): if I make this mod on my Canadian/American RH10, I understand I will get better language support while keeping all my other features (equalizer, vol. output, etc) intact? A 'yes' would be the only way I'd mess with my new baby cool.gif Thanks for anyone who can help.

peace

WaywardTraveller