Wav (pcm) Better Than Any Atrac

Rate this topic

DJ_THE_CROW

well, i got trouble, i wrote, and then i got answer here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=9920

now i am listening the first time in "100 % WAV" on my MZ-NH600 (European) model (3mW+3Mw output power....) which i have incread the volume to "xxxSFF" @ "menue 113" by editing the firmware. The equalizer-AVLS seems to be disabled very much due to Firmware hack.

I have increased the Volume to 30 (100 %), and its sound better now.

Well, how is the Quality using PCM ? Is it better than ATRAC3plus 256Kbits/s ??

==>> YESSSSSSSSSSSSS ! I CAN HEAAAAAAAR IT !!!!!! ITS A VERY GREAT DIFFERENCE !!! ESPECIALLY THE HIGH FREQUENCY IS COMPLETELY CRYSTAL CLEAR NOW !!!!!

NOW MY HI-MD plays like an old old CD-PLayer... it took me more than 9 months of time to be able to enjoy this moment...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I dont want 2000 Songs in bad quality on my Hi-MD, i prefer to have just 20 Songs on my HI-MD walkman but in PERFECT Quality !!

Perceptions on quality will vary - it depends on how finely tuned your ears are and also on what phones you use.

Some will tell you that they can't discern between Hi-SP and the original CD.

Linear PCM is a great feature for recording IMHO - you can now record in an uncompressed format, ready to be burnt to CD.

Hopefully PCM playback won't chew up your batteries...

... 11 hours L-PCM playback on the 600 with a HiMD disc.

Generally it's easiest to hear the differences between compressed tracks (256-320) and uncompressed (flac, wav) by playing tracks that have a lot of cymbals or stuff like that, they just seem to sound like crap when compressed...like the life is sucked out and made bland.

Have you done a blind test yet? Not that I don't trust you, but you know, the placebo effect is with us all (I've been there). For example, make two versions of the same track (PCM vs ATRAC 256 kbs) and let a friend at "random" choose between the two, say 16 times. You can write down whether what you hear is PCM or ATRAC. If you got it right 75% of the time, you can convince yourself you hear a difference, if you got it less times right you were probably guessing.