Weird Malfunction

Rate this topic

i was trying to record some guitar playing on my mz-nh900, and it wouldnt let me. id get an error reading "Disc Is Protected". i tried a couple other discs and got the same error. tried deleting and formating discs, and it wouldnt let me. but it would read and play all my discs fine. running out of ideas, i opened the battery handle, and noticed that the battery wouldnt come out. i ended up needing pliers to take it out. when i finally pried it out i noticed the battery(sony nh-14WM) i was using had ballooned. then i put the factory battery(sony nh-10wm) back in the player and it works fine now. its weird that a swollen battery would make the player read all discs as "write-protected".

so my question would be, what made my battery explode? was it a faulty battery? i mean, i know it still works, cause the player could still play songs for very long periods of time. can a battery balloon from recharging? if its always on that stand, is it bad for the player? i noticed all this a couple of days after i dropped it from my lap. it was not a major fall, and everything seems to work fine now. but maybe that couldve effected the battery in some way.

I reckon this is an isolated problem and the battery in question has been faulty from the onset. In addition, there should be no detrimental effect to the MD unit when left on the charging cradle for an indefinite period. Of course, for obvious reason, you should ensure that the rechargeable battery do not recharge when it’s still somewhat full – either monitor the charge or unplug the power cord from the cradle accordingly.

* I am moving this thread to the appropriate section of the forum since it is related to battery issue.

Every time you replace the recorder to the docking station or reconnect the power supply, it will charge the battery for a predefined time period, no matter if the battery is fully charged or empty. If you repeat this process often and this way overcharge the battery significantly, it might react in an uncommon way, like your deformated one. The charger itself can't think, you have to do this job and ideally only charge the battery when it's empty to aviod overcharge and this way increase it's life significantly.

It's a common habit to charge the battery without discharging it first, but AFAIK it only works for Li-Ion (ad Pb) Batteries without sideeffects like the memory-effect or overcharging, not for Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh.

Edited by greenmachine

or just not use the cradle for charging at all, u can find some specially designed gumstick battery chargers at some e-tailers

A delta U controlled charger might avoid overcharging, but you will still have the memory effect when you don't discharge first.

An external timed charger won't improve the situation at all.