Sony Hi-md For A Mac User

Rate this topic

FrzzMan

I've just sold my last PC, now I'm with Mac full time... and realize that I can't copy music to my Hi-MD anymore sad.gif

Any Mac user outthere, please help *cry*

Virtual PC is known to work, but if you want to do that the legal way, it's expensive.

I wonder why you didn't check this out before you made the switch. Sony doesn't really hide the fact it only works with Windows.

Actually I know that SonicStage doesn't support MacOSX before I decided to switch, but I think there's some way around to fix this problem biggrin.gif

btw, I'm going to buy an external Firewire HDD and carry my whole music library to work, and download to my Hi-MD unit there...

Actually I know that SonicStage doesn't support MacOSX before I decided to switch, but I think there's some way around to fix this problem biggrin.gif

btw, I'm going to buy an external Firewire HDD and carry my whole music library to work, and download to my Hi-MD unit there...

I guess you havn't checked either if there firewire available on your work-PC? Most PC's don't have it. And it's almost as convenient as recording real-time.

true many PC's, but my desktop and laptop have firewire...only bought in 2004...but apart from that, the smartest thing would have been to get a usb 2.0 and firewire ext hdd.

newayz, have fun recording all the music

Generally the newest external HD's marketed for Mac's have both USB2.0 and Firewire; Apple actually seems to be moving away from Firewire in favor of USB2.0.

FrzzMan, if you figure out a solution for using HiMD with OSX I'd like to hear about it; I'm a long-time Mac user but went with MD because I decided it was still the best solution for what I needed: a portable high-quality miniature field recorder with cheap media capable of long recording times. However I'm resigned to getting a WinXP machine as a second computer to deal with uploading and editing my recordings, assuming Sony doesn't release a version of SS for Mac's (not likely IMHO but I hope I'm wrong). -Steve

Generally the newest external HD's marketed for Mac's have both USB2.0 and Firewire; Apple actually seems to be moving away from Firewire in favor of USB2.0. 

FrzzMan, if you figure out a solution for using HiMD with OSX I'd like to hear about it; I'm a long-time Mac user but went with MD because I decided it was still the best solution for what I needed: a portable high-quality miniature field recorder with cheap media capable of long recording times.  However I'm resigned to getting a WinXP machine as a second computer to deal with uploading and editing my recordings, assuming Sony doesn't release a version of SS for Mac's (not likely IMHO but I hope I'm wrong).  -Steve

The only solution other than recording realtime via the unit is stated in my first reply.

The only solution other than recording realtime via the unit is stated in my first reply.

Well, let's see what FrzzMan comes up with smile.gif Personally I don't consider emulators a good solution; in my experience they never work quite as advertised. I'd rather spend my money on another computer, if a native solution doesn't show up. -Steve

FrzzMan, if you figure out a solution for using HiMD with OSX I'd like to hear about it; I'm a long-time Mac user but went with MD because I decided it was still the best solution for what I needed: a portable high-quality miniature field recorder with cheap media capable of long recording times.  However I'm resigned to getting a WinXP machine as a second computer to deal with uploading and editing my recordings, assuming Sony doesn't release a version of SS for Mac's (not likely IMHO but I hope I'm wrong).  -Steve

Apple is not moving away from Firewire. Firewire 800 is the fastest way to transfer data via an external hardrive. All Power Macs come with FW 800 and most Powerbooks do too. The iPod is now USB 2.0 only because that is the standard on a PC. But, I would recomend an external hardrive with both Firewire and USB 2.0 because you can then connect to a most PCs. Firewire 800 is super fast.

Was their not a HiMD unit under the "Buffalo" name that worked with Mac ?

If you have the MacOS9.04 or the MacOSX10.0.4 then their might be an answer to your problem here: http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/products/new/2005/003_1.html

But, it uses a newer version of the BeatJam software and I do not know if they offer any language options other than Japanese. The previous versions of Beat Jam that were provide with Sharp Net-MD did not provide anything other than Japanese softwear.

Good luck,

Mikami

Apple is not moving away from Firewire. Firewire 800 is the fastest way to transfer data via an external hardrive. All Power Macs come with FW 800 and most Powerbooks do too. The iPod is now USB 2.0 only because that is the standard on a PC. But, I would recomend an external hardrive with both Firewire and USB 2.0 because you can then connect to a most PCs. Firewire 800 is super fast.

So fast that there's no HDD out there able to use the standards full bandwidth smile.gif

If you want to be compatible with 99.9% of the PC's, make sure it knows what USB(2) is.

Thanks for your note: My PC @ work have the seperated Firewire card... and it work great with my Firewire closure biggrin.gif

Now I can download the music to my NH3D @ work. The greater thing is, I have faster Internet line @ work than @ home, man now I'm downloading music non-stop biggrin.gif free bandwidth lol...

And the greatest thing is, believe it or not, my PowerBook with the OS installed on external (Firewire) HDD is running faster, yes I mean FASTER... man this is the most effective investment of mine biggrin.gif

Not that it would be hard, but as far as I know the Hi-MD transfer hasn't been cracked. I think NotMd which is horribly stalled, is the only thing I can think of.

http://notmd.sourceforge.net

It seems that NotMD has been written for PC!

I can connect my NH1 to my Mac and use it as a back up device. it transfers fairly quickly – so theoritcally it shouldn't be to hard for there to be a Mac Utility for sound files to MD. SONY should really got on the case here!

• 1 month later...

you can drag n drop data & audio as data, however you can not playback such audio on the md.

So, please help me to understand this correctly. I use a Mac and am very interested in Hi-MD.

If I record using a microphone onto a Hi-MD recorder, uncompressed .wav format, can I then connect it to my Mac (OS X) and drag and drop the audio from the MD to the Mac?

No special software necessary?

(note: I don't care about getting audio from the Mac to the MD, just from the MD to the Mac.)

Thanks very much!

Ernst

If I record using a microphone onto a Hi-MD recorder, uncompressed .wav format, can I then connect it to my Mac (OS X) and drag and drop the audio from the MD to the Mac? 

nope... what atrain said

you can drag n drop data & audio as data, however you can not playback such audio on the md.

also applies when inverted: all audio files you can playback on the MD (which would include analogue recordings with a mic) can't be transferred by drag n drop

-> this always requires SonicStage which isn't Mac-compatible (unless through virtual PC)

greetings, Volta