Audio Editing Software

Rate this topic

MZ-NH1

Hi guys, I am currently in the last year of my Schooling! And for Music (Subject)

I need to create a composition...

That part is all fine, but no one in the class has any recording hardware to record the compositions, because you have to hand in a recording.

I said I would be happy to record everyone's comps, but the thing is, they may want to edit parts of the comp, or cut and paste different sections in different palaces etc... I know that I would want to do this.

I currently use Audacity to edit music files, but that program is pretty basic... and I want to be able to import multiple layers of sound into the one recording... which I don't think Audacity does.. (Correct me if I am wrong)

What software would you recommend for my needs?

I have heard Magix Music Maker 2005 is pretty good (only prob is I live in Australia... and I don’t think they ship to me, but I can always find out), but I know of no others.

All suggestions most welcome!

I would like to be able to save the file as different file formats, add multiple layers to the 1 recording, add effects to the recording…

Thanks for your time!

some of my classmates use Sound Forge for sound editing for putting in their animations.

it's a product that used to be made by a company called Sonic Foundry (cool name!) but has since been bought by Sony (maker of our beloved minidiscs!). heheh..

i don't know much about it since i haven't really really used it. just fooled around a bit on someone's computer. but it seems very full featured. i don't know if it's hard to use though.

my classmate had Sonic Foundry Sound Forge 6. that's the one i played with for about 10 minutes. i think by version 7 it's already named Sony Sound Forge. i don't know if it changed much.

maybe you could download a free trial from here .

Edited by skategem

some of my classmates use Sound Forge for sound editing for putting in their animations.

it's a product that used to be made by a company called Sonic Foundry (cool name!) but has since been bought by Sony (maker of our beloved minidiscs!). heheh..

i don't know much about it since i haven't really really used it. just fooled around a bit on someone's computer. but it seems very full featured. i don't know if it's hard to use though.

my classmate had Sonic Foundry Sound Forge 6. that's the one i played with for about 10 minutes. i think by version 7 it's already named Sony Sound Forge. i don't know if it changed much.

maybe you could download a free trial from here .

Thanks for that. Looking into it now

Give Kristal a try - it's free, and does multitrack. It uses vst effects which means you should be able to undertake any reasonable processing of the audio. See http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=details for more.

I personally use Adobe Audition - not expensive for what you get, but not cheap if you've not got much to spend! a 30 day trial is available. I'd strongly suggest taking any program you are seriously interested in for a test drive as it's the fine details of the day-to-day use, in relation to your emerging requirements, which can make all the difference.

[Declaration of interest - I'm the moderator of Adobe's Audition forum].

Give Kristal a try - it's free, and does multitrack.  It uses vst effects which means you should be able to undertake any reasonable processing of the audio.  See http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=details for more.

I personally use Adobe Audition - not expensive for what you get, but not cheap if you've not got much to spend!  a 30 day trial is available.  I'd strongly suggest taking any program you are seriously interested in for a test drive as it's the fine details of the day-to-day use, in relation to your emerging requirements, which can make all the difference.

[Declaration of interest - I'm the moderator of Adobe's Audition forum].

Kristal looks good! Except for the fact that it doesn't take mp3 files.. sad.gif which all my recordings would be in... is there a plug-in for this?

Yeh, school has Audition, haven't yet been able to have a good look at it, but will do!

It would be too expensive for my to buy, but school would be an obvious place to use iit! tongue.gif

You should be able to convert mp3 to wave with one of any number of freeware programs...

convert mp3 wave

brings up half a million hits on google! Only problem is, having worked on them, if you save back to mp3 you will be doing a second 'lossy' conversion of the audio, so if possible keep the finished work in wave format (eg burn it as audio to a normal CD).

Kristal looks good!  Except for the fact that it doesn't take mp3 files.. sad.gif which all my recordings would be in... is there a plug-in for this?

Yeh, school has Audition, haven't yet been able to have a good look at it, but will do!

It would be too expensive for my to buy, but school would be an obvious place to use iit! tongue.gif

talk to one of the techs or teachers & see if they do any educational user packages that you can buy or use at home. many unis do this, would be so much cheaper.

Why spend the extra bucks? With the exception of Krystal, Audacity does do multi-track recording for free. I use it all the time. Just place your time marker at the point where you want to add another track and click the record button. It will add another track on top of the one you already have recorded. I have done up to 16 track with no problems.

Thanks very much guys for all that info! (Thanks for your PM Chris! tongue.gif)

KrazyIvan... I won't be recording directly into the PC, I will be doing multiple recordings on my MD, and then once transferred the files onto the PC, will be editing them and so on...

Good to know Audacity does multiple layers though!

talk to one of the techs or teachers & see if they do any educational user packages that you can buy or use at home. many unis do this, would be so much cheaper.

I have already asked... and unfortunatley I don't think they do it in High Schools sad.gif

Thanks very much guys for all that info!  (Thanks for your PM Chris! tongue.gif)

KrazyIvan...  I won't be recording directly into the PC, I will be doing multiple recordings on my MD, and then once transferred the files onto the PC, will be editing them and so on...

Good to know Audacity does multiple layers though!

Yeah, exactly what I have done with Audacity. It really is a lot more powerful than people know. biggrin.gif