Optical Recording

Rate this topic

macca

I thought i knew what was going on with my MZ-NH900, however have just tried to recording optical input. It recognises the optical line (coming out of my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card), however no levels come up on my MD. I need Help

Any suggestions.

Cheers

Gus

Edited by macca

Hi

It's sounds like a problem with your sound card. I had a similar problem a few years back but i never resolved it!

Try recording from the optical output of a CD or DVD player and see what happens! At least you will eliminate your NH900 as the cause of the fault if the recording works.

Or it could be a setting on your NH900, i dont have one so i cant check but just flick throught the manual to make sure your not missing anything!

Creative is policing its customers, in other words, if you play copyrighted or protected content, digital out will be muted.

Plus, check the options as well, especially the surround adjustments.

Switching to Stereo/2 Speaker mode could help here.

Are you serious? I did not know this. Man, I am glad I have not upgraded to a SB card with optical out. blink.gif

Easy on the Creative SB Audigy2 ZS. I have that card and the front I/O board. It's a great MD tool. I ain't afraid to fluff it either! wub.gif Before Hi-MD, it was the easiest way to get shows from my Sharp DR7 to my MD deck to my computer with that front I/O board.

I think the problem is the mixer. Even if you aren't getting data through the optical path, the optic light will still make the NH900 think it has a digital connection going. Make sure you have the WAV slider is at least to the middle on the mixer. There are 2 different digital output selections in the menus (1 is in the THX console menu and the other is on the speaker settings menu>access both of these by right-clicking on the Creative volume control icon in the Sys tray). Try checking both of those. Put on some headphones (from the MD) and see if there is any audio coming through the optical connection. You might want to double check your Windows volume control mixer in addition to the Creative one to make sure nothing is disabled or muted that you are playing as an output. Hope that helps.

Keep us posted.

Creative is policing its customers, in other words, if you play copyrighted or protected content, digital out will be muted.

Plus, check the options as well, especially the surround adjustments.

Switching to Stereo/2 Speaker mode could help here.

The digital output is disabled for DVD Audio playback only. You can use it for anything else other than DVD Audio playback. In other words, you will have digital output if you play a copyrighted CD or DRM'd mp3/wma file.

Just a simple clarification.

Guest NRen2k5

Just get a Chaintech AV710, outpreforms most Creative cards anyways and has a friendly digital out. wink.gif

Availability is a big drawback, though. It's kind of a downer to not be able to find it at any local stores, and to have to pay $10 shipping and wait for the thing to arrive.

Well, Canada isn't known to be up to speed on anything electronics wise - seems like it takes a bit longer for things to filter down to you guys. Send a PM to Daijoubu; he lives in Canada and knows a few e-tailers there that could get it there cheaper.

You know these guys carry it and ship to CA, right? Or is the shipping there $10..

The digital output is disabled for DVD Audio playback only.  You can use it for anything else other than DVD Audio playback.  In other words, you will have digital output if you play a copyrighted CD or DRM'd mp3/wma file. 

Just a simple clarification.

Mine works fine for DVD playback --I'm using the laptop version of the Audigy card -- fantastic piece of gear and there's a built in dolby and DTS decoder .

I think You'll find it's the DVD player software that inhibits Optical out not the Audigy card.

Incidentally while POWERDVD won't even play some DVD's if you try and use the TV out on a computer WINDVD from Intervideo works just fine.

I've made some great recordings from the soundtrack of DVD's -- for example I like Feuer Feuer from the start of the movie XXX with Van Diesel.

Incidentally you can always use TOTAL RECORDER to get round these type of problems anyway -- there's plenty of posts on this program on these boards.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

• 1 month later...

My E-mu 0404 PCI soundcard is supreme, and my understanding is that since it's a pro unit, it's exempt from SCMS. In other words, there are MDs that I can't copy optically to another MD deck due to SCMS, but the 0404 sucks it all in without intervention. Highly recommended (and affordable too -- under $100).

Well, Canada isn't known to be up to speed on anything electronics wise - seems like it takes a bit longer for things to filter down to you guys. Send a PM to Daijoubu; he lives in Canada and knows a few e-tailers there that could get it there cheaper.

You know these guys carry it and ship to CA, right? Or is the shipping there $10..

hey hey hey tongue.gif as a fellow Canadian i feel it is my duty to point out that Canada is the home of Research In Motion and the Blackberry, as well as the world leader in fibre optics technology. Also we have our hands in EVERYTHING no matter if we use it or not (missile tracking systems anyone?)

My E-mu 0404 PCI soundcard is supreme, and my understanding is that since it's a pro unit, it's exempt from SCMS.  In other words, there are MDs that I can't copy optically to another MD deck due to SCMS, but the 0404 sucks it all in without intervention.  Highly recommended (and affordable too -- under $100).

Interesting, never seen this before...I'm presuming the Turtle Beach has copyright restrictions built in (I ordered one over 2 years ago and Dell got it all wrong so never got to try! mad.gif)

Looks like a seriously nice piece of harware. That would allow you to bring a digitally recorded old SP MD onto the PC via optical through Audacity, etc right?

Any snags? Seems too good to be true.

Edited by bri