New To Md Format: Which One Has Digital Out?

Rate this topic

2saxkids

welcome!

look at the new hi-md units in the equipment browser (like the rh-10, rh-910). they have a USB output which will let u upload to your computer in faster than realtime (and its still digital). no units support optical (digital) output anymore, only digital input. there are many threads about uploading to computer, take a few mins. and search

look at the new hi-md units in the equipment browser (like the rh-10, rh-910)

those RH-models mentioned above are 2nd generation Hi-MDs; 1st gen Hi-MDs (NH600-1) will allow digital transfers just as well; so as long as you buy a Hi-MD you're safe in that department...

BUT watch out for 'D' models like the NH600D or the RH710D as they can't record from a mic or a line in!

for further specifications and looks...see the equipment browser as skmetal07 already pointed out and scan through the rest of the "find your minidisc"-section, as there are quite some usefull tips (burried) in other threads as well...

good luck in your search, and if there are still some questions left afterwards...feel free to ask

and a warm welcome from Volta too

Thanks everyone for the welcome and for replying so quickly!

I will look into the hi-md units, although I don't really want any compression format (as mp3, etc) but want the best possible sound. I don't want to use this as an i-Pod kind of unit, just for recording live music and uploading to the computer (my Mac) in a high quality format.

ahh u have a Mac....the only way to upload then is by your sound card, no faster than realtime recordings. u wont notice any sound degradation, it will just take longer (and probably not much longer since you'd be using PCM and uploading that via USB isn't very fast anyway)

Edited by skmetal07

I'll have to see what program works on the Mac for uploading digitally

as for now...there are NO other means/programs to upload digitally than SonicStage, except for the Totalrecorder method (search these forums, but I don't think it works on Mac anyway) which still requires SonicStage to play the tracks... so tha analog realtime way it must be... and this all because Sony can't live with the fact that people might just want to record a lot and don't want to build a music library (at least not in resource hog SS) and 'cause Sony doesn't realize that the Mac niche (it is a niche) is a very wealthy, interesting (for Hi-MD at least) and COOL cool.gif niche...

so grow up Sony, and good luck 2sax...hope you can live with the analog way or with the (ssslllooowww indeed) V-PC + SS way

Volta