Linux On Hi-md Media

Rate this topic

LupinIV

Ok, here we go:

there are Linux releases that fit on a CD and work "live" (do not need any installation on Hard disks)

These distros are usually running on an ISO file system from the CD.

- Does anyone know how to force Burning Softwares to see the Hi-md as a CD?

- Or, does anybody know how to dump and ISO image on a hi-md media?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

A Knoppix would fit completely on a HiMD-disc.

But not as an ISO.

HiMD is not recognized as a CD, it is seen as a partitionless Superfloppy.

That means, you copy the files directly on it and make it bootable.

One warning: what takes a minute from CD, can take up to ten minutes, when working from HiMD.

Reason: the slooooowwww access times. I don't know, if the 2nd gen units are faster, but my NH700 is as slow as molasses, when loading a lot of small files.

Oh, and it could happen, that it doesn't boot.

Reason here: Mainboards older than 1 year can have problems when booting from USB. They don't recognize all mass storage devices correctly.

So, your mileage may vary...

Open the *.ISO file in WinRAR and copy the contents to the minidisc, IF you can give a volume name to the MD set it to the same as what the ISO would give to a cd(this MAY not be nessary). Linux should work fine with this set up assuming the MDP acts like other usbflash/massstorage/externalHD i have used. thumbsup.gif

Good luck!

EDIT: As i dont have my player (MZ-RH910 on its way!) I cant commet on the trans speed so assumeing the above poster is correct you may want to use a linux buld desined to run off a USB device, sutch as Mandriva Linux Move as it is much smaller and will save your setings because it saves everything to the usb drive happy.gif

Edited by xzen54321

And ISO is not a file system, it's a drive image(inthis case that of a CD)

Sorry, but it IS a file system.... read here some definitions... RT*M

"ISO9660

A CD File System standard.

It was the first real world-wide adopted CD file system and it was derived from the earlier High Sierra standard"

"ISO 9660

ISO 9660 is an industry–wide format specification for the logical structure, file structure, and record structures on a CD–ROM.

An ISO 9660 formatted CD-ROM will function on any computer platform whether MAC or PC."

ISO is a file system. ISO9660 to be exact.

An ISO-file is a disc image.

However, as HiMD is seen as a removable harddisk, it needs the individual files inside the ISO-File.

And the slowness stems from the slow head positioning motor.

My NH700 needs roughly 1.5 (!) seconds for a full stroke, a good quality CD/DVD-Rom drive needs less than 150 msec for a full stroke.

ISO is a standards organization. It sets standards on many things. ISO9660 is a file system. That is not the same thing as a file that is in an ISO image (xxxx.iso) . That image could have any file system. I regularly use .iso images for AIX file system use.

Hi,

If your bios allows a boot from an USB drive, you can boot from your hi-md (my one's can see my hi-md usb disc duriong the boot process, but linux doen't run with "USB LEGACY" on MSI mother board).

Some software (like isobuster) can read ISO file and extract the contents into a directory. With this soft you can get the boot sector of this ISO (I name it virual CD medium).

Finally, to boot on your hi-md, you must write to the boot sector and I think format it. I do'nt know if the hi-md standard file system can use a boot sector.

Bye

ddmicrolog,

thanks for the suggestion. The only problem I was really having right now was to actually transfer the boot information to the MD.

Does anybody remember the good times when you still could do a FORMAT X: /s and transfer the system on any drive? smile.gif

I have tryed a couple of Linux distro but I have to mount the drive from LILO (or GRUB) to make it start, and it does not always work.

I have the USB device recognized and on the top of the boot list on the BIOS settings.

Cheers