True Sp Transfer

Rate this topic

musi_cal

Hello Hello,

This is my first post here (and I am very very new to MD) so forgive me if I am missing the obvious  blink.gif but is it possible yet to transfer to minidisc  in true SP mode or is optical out from my DVD player my only option, I'm stumped  blink.gif  blink.gif

True SP is not possible on 2nd gen Hi-MD. You can record in Hi-SP or PCM. Fake SP is possible via Sonic Stage.

*EDIT* I would use the Hi-SP anyway.

Edited by KrazyIvan

Hello Hello,

This is my first post here (and I am very very new to MD) so forgive me if I am missing the obvious  blink.gif but is it possible yet to transfer to minidisc  in true SP mode or is optical out from my DVD player my only option, I'm stumped  blink.gif  blink.gif

what unit do u have? u can't transfer sp to a minidisc, and the only way to transfer hi-sp is to use a hi-md unit. (sorry if all this stuff is so confusing) wacko.gif

Edited by skmetal07

Is Hi-sp as good as recording from the optical out of a CD or DVD player.?

You cannot use the optical in on 2nd gen units to record in SP mode. The best quality would be Hi-SP. I do not think you can use the digital in for pcm recording. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Hi-SP is 256kbps and so is SP. I have compared the two and to my ears they sound the same albeit I had to use fake Hi-SP recorded on my 600D and true SP recorded on my R900.

Edited by KrazyIvan

SP has a much higher bitrate than HiSP, Ivan - SP ~ 295kbps, IIRC.

"Fake SP" transfered via SonicStage will sound like LP2, but take up the same space on disc as true SP.

There is no such thing as "fake HiSP" - HiMD units can transfer HiSP from SonicStage/Simpleburner.

"Fake SP" transfered via SonicStage will sound like LP2, but take up the same space on disc as true SP.

There is no such thing as "fake HiSP" - HiMD units can transfer HiSP from SonicStage/Simpleburner.

You are correct. I still can't hear the difference. biggrin.gif

There isn't much of a difference between Hi-SP and SP - for all intensive purposes they are the same thing.

I recall an ABX text thread sitting around here ages ago - the results indicated that SP was slightly superior to Hi-Sp, but that difference was indeed minimal.

SP = 292kbps; HiSP = 256kbps. I wouldn't call that "much higher" in any case.

SP is more mature than HiSP, but in all honesty, I can't find any serious faults with HiSP under most conditions. That is keeping in mind that both are lossy, and both suffer the same weaknesses [such as pre-echo and ringing problems with extreme transients].

SP = 292kbps; HiSP = 256kbps.  I wouldn't call that "much higher" in any case. 

SP is more mature than HiSP, but in all honesty, I can't find any serious faults with HiSP under most conditions.  That is keeping in mind that both are lossy, and both suffer the same weaknesses [such as pre-echo and ringing problems with extreme transients].

True. I've read some reports on Hydrogenaudio.org that there is a difference between Hi-SP and SP on killer samples (castanets, for example) and that Hi-SP performs really bad on them. But, for "normal" music, Hi-SP performs excellent, as is the case for SP.

As you can't record SP on a Hi-MD formatted disc anyway (even with 1st Gen), I don't see what all the fuss is about. Would be nice to be able to record LP2 directly onto a Hi-MD formatted disc though.... happy.gif

sorry, guys - it was a bit confusing to me.

did i get this the right way?

if i want to digitalize my old md's (on a md-formatted disc) i can record it digitally on my hi-md unit in hi-sp mode. then upload it by sonicstage to my computer as wave or oma? so my question is about recording digital...

sorry, guys - it was a bit confusing to me.

did i get this the right way?

if i want to digitalize my old md's (on a md-formatted disc) i can record it digitally on my hi-md unit in hi-sp mode. then upload it by sonicstage to my computer as wave or oma? so my question is about recording digital...

Yes and no. You would need some sort of digital rights management stripper ( I know that is not the right term) between the two MD units to record digitally between the two. I cannot remember the exact term for the little boxes that do this. You can record analog between the two units but that may give less than desireable results.

*EDIT* once you have recorded into a Hi-MD unit then, yes, you can upload to the computer, but only once. The resulting wave file can be used any way you wish.

Edited by KrazyIvan

Finaly, I'll receive my Rh10 in a few days.

But could anyone explain me the Sp feature with the RH10 again? I read a lot about the unit but can't get this thing with "fake-SP"

1. After they cut the build in SP encoder out of the RH10. Isn't there any way to get a real sounding and in every older device playable SP on the Disc? unbelievable!!

if it's no:

2. are NetMD units able to transfer real SP to discs?

Thanks for reading my "PC<>MD amateur" question

biggrin.gif

1. After they cut the build in SP encoder out of the RH10. Isn't there any way to get a real sounding and in every older device playable SP on the Disc?  unbelievable!!

nope, only the (not so good sounding) fake-SP downloaded through SS

2. are NetMD units able to transfer real SP to discs?

transfer? As in downloading from SS (or SB)? Nope, same fake-SP as with Hi-MD

BUT they can (just as the 1st gen Hi-MDs) record through line in(/mic in) in real SP

greetings, Volta