Mz-nh1 Vs. Mzrh10

Rate this topic

ryst

I was planning on buying the "top-of-the-line" MZ-NH1 and found out that it was discontinued. I found the MZRH10 to be very interesting so I decided to compare specs of the two models. I am planning on buying an HD-MD for field recording so I want to make sure I get a model witht he best recording sound possible. There are a few minor differences between the two models but nothing that would/should change the recording quality. The only difference that I found to be interesting was that the specs for the MZ-NH1 mic input said: Mic: stereo mini-jack (minimum input level 0.25 mV).......the MZRH10 mic input said: Mic: stereo mini-jack (minimum input level 0.13 mV)

This might be a silly question but would the difference between 0.25 mV and 0.13 mV mean anything to the recording quality?

A lower minimum input level on the mic preamp means that it should have a lower noise floor, and consequently a higher dynamic range while recording. This doesn't mean it will be able to handle loud sounds better, but it does mean it should be able to handle quiet sounds better.

What about the difference between the HD amp and the regular digital amp? I use a mac so i would have to load sounds via analog outputs into my audio interface.  Should this be a concern?

I can't imagine it will make a big difference, perhaps not even noticeable (though I'm guessing since I have never heard a "regular" digital amp). The line level output of most, if not all, of Sony's MD recorders is a bit low, but I find recordings using the line out to be perfectly fine. But I am personally hoping for a HiMD deck so I can do digital recordings directly to CD.

From what I understand, the RH10 and all of the second generation Hi-MD recorders can no longer record in standard SP (Atrac type R). They will play it however.

This may not be a big deal for most. But if you own a non HI-MD player or have a car unit and need to replace your current recorder, it could mean everything...