NW-A3000 + Connect Player Impressions

Rate this topic

Although I have been a regular user of this excellent forum, this is my first contribution.

I purchased an NW A3000 on Friday, from a UK Sony Centre, who are the first to have the units available in the UK. The unit came with Connect Player 1.0, which I regret to say after a weekend of perseverance is extremely disappointing. Put simply, I can’t get it to work.

I have 4200 Atrac files in my SonicStage database, which Connect Player offers no easier means to import other than File/Directory import. There does not seem to be any way to import playlists from SonicStage. I made several attempts to import the files all of which were ultimately unsuccessful. The software offers the iTunes style option of manual or sync connection to your device (i.e. the NW A3000) but I found that after transferring 200 or so tracks the process would hang indefinitely. The only way to stop it was to detach the NW A3000, which resulted both in the database on the NW A3000 being corrupted and Connect Player not opening when I tried to reuse the software. The only way to get the program open again was to delete the library folder in the All Users\Application Data\Sony Corporation\Connect Player path, which meant that there were now no tracks imported. Lastly I tried to import the tracks and manually transfer them to the NW A3000, but although Connect Player seemed to import the tracks ok (it takes about 4 hours to do 4200 tracks, far longer than in SonicStage) after closing Connect Player, it took 5 minutes to open again and then froze completely. I simply could’t open it without scrubbing the library again.

It seems to me that Sony have rushed this software out – I can’t believe my problems are due computer compatibility as I am using a month old Vaio. There are some potentially good features in Connect Player – drag and drop, the sync function and a folder watch function, which I presume allows automatic updates of any new tracks added by another program such as SonicStage. But there are major drawbacks, not least that it doesn’t work, but also there is no back up tool, so if your database was damaged or your computer blew up, you would be stuck – I don’t think simply backing up and restoring the oma file folders would work with a new install on another machine. The only way to back up would be to use SonicStage back up tool, but then all tracks would have to be imported/ripped with SonicStage and then either the folder watch function used or the files be imported into Connect Player, which seems crazy.

Luckily the NW A3000 does connect to SonicStage, so I can at least use the machine. (It is important to initialise the NW A3000 before using SonicStage to transfer files, otherwise the folder structure created by Connect Player stays on the hard disk which seems to confuse the NW A3000 and slow down the menus). The intelligent playlists and Artist link won’t work, but for me personally these seem like over-engineering anyway.

I cannot understand why Sony has tried to re-invent the wheel with Connect Player. I know there are valid criticisms of SonicStage, but it has been developed over 5 years and SonicStage 3.3 seems pretty good to me – it’s fast and reasonably easy to use and is backwardly compatible with all NW devices. Surely it would have been easier to redevelop SonicStage for the NW A series, rather than starting all over again. It feels like Sony have gone backwards, to the early days of OpenMG, which used to crash and freeze all the time.

I have tried Connect Player with my HD5, but it does not recognise it. I haven't tried an earlier device, but I assume the result would be the same.

Here are some thoughts on the NW A3000:

The OLED screen is bright and clear, although because the front "glass" is so shiny (I have the silver version), it seems less so in strong daylight or bright indoor lighting. It seems that it is readable in most conditions though. There is one big drawback - you cannot switch the display to permanently on (which I think you can with Sony's earlier OLED devices). There are three display options, 30 sec on (each time a button is pushed), 30 sec on and switch for 30 sec at each change of track and 15 sec on. So unless you look at the device when a track changes (using the second setting) you have to push a button each time to see the display.

One feature I like that applies to all menus and track lists is that they are both in scroll and page format, so if you chose for example an artist and all their tracks, you can either scroll down the list with up/down or page across (each page being the number of tracks the screen can display (5 tracks). This also works in initial search - when you page across you get a different letter at the top. This makes finding a track easier and faster than on the HD5. There are several search methods: Initial search, for which you can chose artist, album or song; Library search, where you chose playlist, all songs, album, artist ,genre, rating, release date and recent transfers. The last three don't work with SonicStage transferred tracks though.

The Headphone volume seems pretty loud, I don't know if there is an EU limiter applied. You can switch between line out and headphone as on previous devices. The equaliser presets are pretty much the same as those on the HD5, there are two custom settings with a seven segment equaliser to adjust.

I have noticed that whilst playlists are transferred ok with SonicStage, the names get swapped - for example, if you had two playlists in SonicStage of Favourites and Party, the tracks for Favourites might appear under the Party heading on the device, and vice versa.

The only intelligent shuffle function available with SonicStage transfers is All shuffle (the others are my favourite and time machine, which require Connect Player), which immediately starts playing a shuffle of all your tracks. This mode will stop if you go back to a menu and chose a specific track, album or artist. The usual normal, repeat shuffle, shuffle & repeat and repeat 1 song can be set and will apply to what you chose - all songs, artist, album, genre etc. One good feature on both normal shuffle and All shuffle is that you can go backwards up to 20 songs that have been in the shuffle previously, by double clicking left arrow for each track you want to go back.

Other features I haven't seen before are trash can - you can mark a track to be deleted from the unit next time you sync (doesn't work with SonicStage) you can also undo a trashed track if you put it in by mistake. There is a unit info screen in settings which shows software version and the number of tracks on the unit, which is quite useful. You can also select the option of detailed info whilst a track is playing which shows codec, track length and other info such as year if the data is available.

Finally, it is heavier than the HD5, but not unpleasantly so. You do notice it a bit in a shirt pocket however.

I have the pdf of the user manual and will try to get it uploaded to the download site by sending it to Kurisu.

History repeating?

So we're going through the same bugfests again, that we had with SonicStage 2.0 and earlier?

I feared that and it looks, I had reason to be sceptical.

In other words: Wake me up, when Connect player 3.0 comes out --> somewhere in 2009. :ol_shocked:

Until then, I'll stay with SonicStage.

Thanks for the report.

Edited by Jadeclaw

It's juts.........SCARY!!! no no NOOOOOOOOOO!

It's just impossible to believe! what have they done???

By the way? did you try plug to the Connect Player and older Atrac device such as a MD/HiMD/HD-1-5? maybe you don't have one...

And secondly, is connect player unicode? did you try ripping a japanese cd? maybe you don't have one either... I mean, I'd like to know if foreign caracters are displayed...

Well, I 'm still very shocked about what you said. Fortunately the "auto-updates" will be of some benefic use.

History repeating?

So we're going through the same bugfests again, that we had with SonicStage 2.0 and earlier?

I feared that and it looks, I had reason to be sceptical.

In other words: Wake me up, when Connect player 3.0 comes out --> somewhere in 2009.  :ol_shocked:

Until then, I'll stay with SonicStage.

Thanks for the report.

wake up buddy for now don`t get disheartned atleast we have sonic stage to use

After listnening to these word Sleep again??????????????

Why am I not surprised to hear this. Looks like most of the guesses were right on here about why SS3.3 was released. If Sony doesn't jump on this problem first and take care of it stat, and I mean in like a week or 2 weeks max, the reviews for the players are not going to be favourable to say the least.

and as stated in the other thread by Kurisu:

"We also have recieved troubling news that no device (even the NW-HD1/2/3/5, PSP, etc) except the new Walkmans will be compatible with Connect Player."

Classic, even though this is not a surprise, many said it would happen.

and here I thought Sony would turn their fortunes around with the player.

Simon, It would be very interesting to hear some of your thoughts about the player itself. Thanks.

Agreed, pictures would be nice. :ol_biggrin: Did it come with a PDF manual?

Edited by Ascariss

Cheers for the manual, looking forward to it.

your quick review sounds great, shame that some things are not working unless used with the CONNECT player, but that makes sense. I like the OLED options, the 15 sec one seems the most efficient for battery life is my guess, although, I am curious how long the 30 sec on, and then 30 on for each track would last with one charge.

What format are you transfering your files in? mp3 or atrac?

If mp3, how fast does it transfer and how easy is it to transfer?

Simon, many thanks for that very interesting initial review. I'd be very grateful though if you could spare the time to answer a couple of brief questions:

1) Do titles (album, artist, song title) that are too long for the screen scroll to their fullest extent?

2) Is there a screen for the current playlist of songs?

Thanks,

Pooh

Thanx simon for ur quick review.

If we forget about that bloody connect software :ol_mad: . This new player has lot to offer .New features seems really interesting such as year,trash canetc...

Tell us ,whether is there any time lag that we use to have in nw-hd3 & hd5 for startup & shut down?

In answer to the questions raised:

I have a mixture of ATRAC and MP3 tracks and there is no difficulty in transferring either type to the NW A3000 and I haven't noticed any transfer speed difference.

The track title does scroll if it is too long for the screen

The playback screen shows track title, artist, album, genre as well as the usual play/pause indicator, battery strength, play mode indicator and track number. A good feature is that the name of the track playing is displayed at the bottom of the screen when you go to a menu to chose another track.

There is a same time lag when starting up the device, when a splash screen is displayed, but it is no more than 3 seconds before the current track starts playing.

Anyone know when this will be available in the USA? If it's way off I might import from Europe -- will I have any compatibility issues doing this? Thanks for your help.

Right now player "A" series is only available in Uk or Europe thats why sony has released that update in europe link only

FWIW, the first customer review of the 6GB version has just been posted on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...8944936-0822865

Reviewer: Ferrarifatboy from Blairgowrie, Perthshire United Kingdom 

This machine is beautiful to look at and to use. The silver one has a very expensive look about it. If like me you want an mp3 player that has a very long battery life (30 hours), lots of memory and looks cool then this is the one for you. By using the new CONNECT software (not Sonicstage) that comes with the player you can compress your songs into the atrac format, thus halving the filesize of each song with no loss of quality at all. (it's like having a 12GB mp3 player) no muffling no crackling, NOTHING! the songs sound exactly the same as the original mp3's. When you consider this player is cheaper than the ipod nano, has double the battery life and has 2gb more space then this player really shows it's true colours. Plus this looks far nicer. when you see the two players side by side I guarantee you'll prefer the look of this one. The photos on amazon do it no justice.My only gripe with the player is seeing as all my songs are on sonicstage for use on my PSP and VAIO Zone I noticed the Connect player isn't as user friendly and seems slower somehow. ( it still works with Sonicstage so I use that instead of Connect)Also the headphones are a little tinny.One good point this player can get very loud, louder than any Ipod or Zen I've used.Comes in a nice hard box as well!

Also the headphones are a little tinny
(taken from above)

This is quote from review which has been posted (Amazon).As i have seen in the photos they r the same headphones as they gave in NW-E505(except that they r color cordinated) .Headphones given with NW-e505 were so uncomfortable (they took a bit of piece my skin from both the ears) .sound quality was also not good at all & in my review of "NW-E505" i have recommended to buy one.Soo i can only say that headphones given with the player suck

Edited by Stuge

Hi

Came on here to look for help with my NW A 3000, but it looks like i'm not the only one with problems. The software is slower than Sonic stage, the computer hangs and i even had to unplug the player for my computer to start again. The last time i unplugged the player the screen has frozen and it's not allowing me to even turn it off and start again, can anyone help me? It also didn't transfer all my tracks off Sonic stage. I hope Sony are in early Monday morning as i'm cheesed off after waiting two months for it to arrive and to only last half a day.

Tim

Hi

Came on here to look for help with my NW A 3000, but it looks like  i'm not the only one with problems. The software is slower than Sonic stage, the computer hangs and i even had to unplug the player for my computer to start again. The last time i unplugged the player the screen has frozen  and it's not allowing me to even turn it off and start again, can anyone  help  me?  It also didn't transfer all my tracks off Sonic stage. I hope Sony are in early Monday morning as i'm cheesed off after waiting two months for it to arrive and to only last half a day.

Tim

Welcome to the forum, indeed some people are having identical problems.

First off, did you install the update for the Connect player? If not grab it here:

http://www.atraclife.com/index.php?showtopic=411

If you have, then there is a possibility you have found more bugs, or it is just that the Connect player isn't like SS. I would recommend first closing the program fully and waiting a minute or 2 before unplugging the player from the PC. If I am understanding correctly, are you unplugging the USB cord from teh unit or the PC itself? I usually leave my usb for my MD plugged in 24/7, much easier that way.

If you don't want to use the connect player, I advise swtiching to SS3.3 or 3.2 until sony can work out more bugs.

Unless you are brave enough to send sony an email and hope for a reply, that is your other option. If you do plan on sending an email, I would strongly recommend being as detailed in your descriptions of problems since otherwise they can't do jack if you just tell them what you wrote here. This is why people sometimes don't hear back from companies nor are their complaints/problems ever looked into since their email descriptions are too broad and not really getting to the points sony needs.

I spoke to sony uk this morning to complain about the connect software.When i have loaded up connect with the update to the latest version it hogs130mb ram just sitting there.I have not connected the players up yet as they are for xmas for the kids.The guy at sony took all my details,Even what i had for breakfast,well thats what it felt like.Anyway he could not shed any light on the subject and said he waould have to speak to the technocal people about it.I am using xp home amd64 3.5 cpu and a 1gig ram and it just hogs the system.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262988

there is a screen shot here showing "tinyhttp" which is part of the connect program.Anyone else having problems with it i suggest you ring up sony on 0870511999 and complain and perhaps they will take it serious and bring out a update soon.

Can i use sonicstage 3.3 along side this connect and then connect the kids a1000?

Cheers

The guy at sony took all my details,Even what i had for breakfast,well thats what it felt like

I don`t understand what sony want .R they mad or what?.Sony thinks people r eating their head but infact their rubbish software is actually eating our head

I guess if everybody complains in mass, they will start to figure out they made a very, very, very big mistake. I feel like being stabbed in the back: remember Stinger's speech about the importance of software and service!!! bullshit, once again! I find really insulting the fact that sony sells their beautiful devices with such a horrible soft, worst than anything. Knowing that Itune is easily downloadable, and a really good and well thought application (though it is quite ugly and old looking), with cool and basic options (normalization, cross fade transitions etc.), with a fantastic mp3 store, fast and easy, with excellent ID recognition, you can use up to 5 pcs,..........well, it just drives me crazy! I love sony devices, I love my HD5, but sh***! I'd like to have a killer apllication, not to worry about ripping 40 times my entire cd collection, and have neverending incompatibility problems due to unicode or DRM!

Can't they just understand that? do they make marketing researches? I really wonder!!! and when you ask something, nobody's able to answer, 'acuse they have to see the technician, and never answer again!!! how many times it happened to me!

Sorry about that, but, I'm not gonna change for an Ipod or anything else, so I 'd just like SONY starts to be really competitive!!!

Having bugs is a thing, you can correct that by quick updates, but huge lack of option,ease of use and service is not to be forgiven this time! Connect player HAD to be as good as itune, it was at least what SONY could do when the A series came out. Big mistake I say, one more bad soft reputation...

Edited by willykyu

Not sure if these are posted, found them today on amazon.co.uk

Great player, terrible software, November 12, 2005

I had heard that the software on Sony's previous players was poor but was so impressed by the look of the NW-A3000 that I thought I'd go for it. I was also hoping that the new Connect software they bundled with the player would be an improvement on Sonic Stage. It isn't. It really is horrible. It's unbelievably slow - you have to hover over certain buttons for upwards of ten seconds before they become active, and when I tried to register as a user on the Connect Store all that happens is that the home page refreshes. Given that I'm not able to import the WMA files that I previously bought from MSN Music (the only WMA files that can be imported are those you've ripped from CD yourself) this leaves me with no options for buying music online. I've fired off an email to Sony's support so we'll see what they come back with.

The 4 stars are for the player itself which I love - it's gorgeous, the sound is great and the functionality is simple and intuitive. Shame about the software.

NWA3000 vs iPod, November 9, 2005

I first saw this player on the Sony UK website and I fell in love with it, it was so hot, so stylish.

It's a lot heavier than I expected, perhaps the same weight as the 20GB iPods. But it's just as hot as it looks in picture, palm-sized with a crystal clear screen.

It takes approx 8mins to transfer an entire album depending on the size. The CONNECT software is more like a Sony version of iTunes. What you really need to transfer the tracks is the SonicStage software, which I got from a previous mp3 player, and is also available online.

The player itself is user-friendly, although I haven't quite worked out how to make playlists the 'easy' way. You can search for tracks by album, artist or song initial as well as by Album, Artist or Song title; which is pretty convienient when you can't quite remember the full title of a song.

There is an Artist Link function which supposedly finds artists in similar genre's to your now playing item. I don't find this particularly useful since my own brain has a similar, faster function which doesn't take half as long as Artist Link; and unfortunately there's no games included.

Overall I think it's the sleek alternative to the overrated iPod. A must have for Sony lovers.

Hmm no surprise about the connect player comments, but 8min for an entire albium? ripped at what quality and how many songs? Seriously if the 8min is for real, I am kind of worried now, since I am planning on transferring roughly around 6 gigs when I get mine. :ol_blankstare:

Anyone else experience this long transfer time? I mean, it is USB 2.0.

that is why i said it is usb 2.0 so he should have a fast transfer rate, but then I am assuming then the person only has usb 1.0 or 1.1 so slower transfer rate.

anyone know how fast it takes on averge 100megs to be transfered to an hd5 or hd3?

Ascariss ,I have already tested & compare transfer rates for different players (WHILE TRANFERING AT 86MB)(including nw-hd5 & nw-hd3).

Link for that

Hard disk based vs Flash based player, Buyers guide(Hardware section)

Edited by Stuge

I received my new a3000 yesterday. A fabulous looking silver one - the pictures on Amazon & Sony sites don't do it justice.

The software loaded easily and automatically updated to the newest version. It all works but is a bit slow to start up and respond. To rip tracks from CD album is very...very...very slow. This, and the slowness of the startup etc may be due to my ancient computer (Pentium III 450 and 360MB Ram). It takes about half an hour to rip one album.

Having said that, with only USB 1 and player on a hub, it takes less than a minute to transfer album to player.

This is my first ever device of this kind and I am not disappointed but can see many hours ahead transferring my CD collection - unless I invest in a new computer. I bought it for the looks, features and brand - all of which are excellent, as long as you're not impatient.

I received my new a3000 yesterday. A fabulous looking silver one - the pictures on Amazon & Sony sites don't do it justice.

The software loaded easily and automatically updated to the newest version. It all works but is a bit slow to start up and respond. To rip tracks from CD album is very...very...very slow. This, and the slowness of the startup etc may be due to my ancient computer (Pentium III 450 and 360MB Ram). It takes about half an hour to rip one album.

Having said that, with only USB 1 and player on a hub, it takes less than a minute to transfer album to player.

This is my first ever device of this kind and I am not disappointed but can see many hours ahead transferring my CD collection - unless I invest in a new computer. I bought it for the looks, features and brand - all of which are excellent, as long as you're not impatient.

:ol_shocked: First time a user seems to be happy after buy a new nw-a3000....

Edited by Stuge

Pentium III 450 processor, 360mb ram, 16x cd - old Dell computer with about 1.7gb space on hard drive.

Incidentally, I have 2 hard drives, the C is 9gb with about 1.7gb space and the D is 6gb with about 4gb space, so due to more space, I originally loaded the Connect software to the D drive in a folder I named Connect Player but it would not then accept the update from Sony website. I uninstalled and reinstalled to the default they give you (C:\program files\sony\connect player - I think) and the update downloaded first time to that.

Pentium III 450 processor, 360mb ram, 16x cd - old Dell computer with about 1.7gb space on hard drive.

Incidentally, I have 2 hard drives, the C is 9gb with about 1.7gb space and the D is 6gb with about 4gb space, so due to more space, I originally loaded the Connect software to the D drive in a folder I named Connect Player but it would not then accept the update from Sony website. I uninstalled and reinstalled to the default they give you (C:\program files\sony\connect player - I think) and the update downloaded first time to that.

UR computer seems to be the mother of all ur problems.I think u should buy a new comp. against that old STONE AGE comp.If u have money & time to buy.

If i was the person using it ,I would have thrown that comp.. away.....

DO IT>>>>>

Edited by Stuge

I noticed a very slick TV advert for the new Sony players last night on UK TV. Also, the sales rankings for the Sony players seem to have shot up at Amazon.co.uk:

30GB iPod Black - Sales Rank -- 36

30GB iPod White - Sales Rank -- 63

NWA3000S 20 GB Walkman Silver - Sales Rank -- 42

NWA1000S 6 GB Walkman - Silver - Sales Rank -- 76

(The black 4GB Nano is at #7 and the white 4GB Nano is at #70)

I noticed a very slick TV advert for the new Sony players last night on UK TV. Also, the sales rankings for the Sony players seem to have shot up at Amazon.co.uk:

30GB iPod Black  - Sales Rank -- 36

30GB iPod White  - Sales Rank -- 63

NWA3000S 20 GB Walkman Silver - Sales Rank -- 42

NWA1000S 6 GB Walkman - Silver - Sales Rank -- 76

(The black 4GB Nano is at #7 and the white 4GB Nano is at #70)

Good .Atleast their graph of profit is going up.But they r far ... far away from the OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL............

OK, my first entry on anything like this but I felt that I had to add my voice! I bought a HD machine that I bought in October but after two weeks it crashed wiping out 350 CDs worth of music. After a protracted tussle with a Sony Centre I got it replaced with a NW-A3000. They are gorgeous to look at and hold; sort of organic in its curved appearance but with that silver-black vibe too. Anyway, so far, so good. That feeling lasted about a day. Loading from Connect my machine died. So onto my 2nd machine and all seems well.

The problem is Connect. It's awful. It won't even open sometimes and when it does will not co-operate. Somehow I got to work and download the majority of my music but it took forever. So exasperated was I by the refusal of Connect to work I have had to resort to SonicStage which I do prefer.

On Connect there is no clear indication of progress of transfer, only some vague % figures that make no sense! I suppose I'm missing out on the Intelligent Shuffle but I like to listen to pieces from start to finish! Call me old-fashioned. I'm also finding impossible to alter album title details which considering I've got it to open at all is a minor cavil.

It looks like my PC has the latest Connect version so I might give it a go. It's just that I've such bad luck with these machines recently I might sit tight!

Justify_sinner, I absolutely agree with you. The same here with my brand new A-3000, wich amazes me with its looks! I'm blown away by its beauty! I found it ugly on pics, and I'm wowed evert time I look at it, hold it or watch it on its cradle (wich is also a real piece of art!!!)! The controls and menus are wonderful, so many ways to get to a track, etc. And the display is really really nice! I have the silver version (wanted grey to match my vaio!).

Connect is probably the worst software I ever used in my life! so promising, much more than disappointing. It's scary to see that sony, talking about rebirth, sell this soft with such a wonderfull player. Sonicstage is an extremely advanced software next to it. Unfortunaltely, lacking of unicode (worst of my nightmares), synchronisation, and cool options. But, it works fine now. It's also so easy to organize music, change album and tracks infos, even tag mp3 and atrac etc.

As you mentioned I have exactly the same problems as you, the last update (the only one out so far) doesn't change anything (except crashing and freezing...as they say), and more, importing and deleting lead to errors, and remaining tracks, transfered, even if they're not in the library! I re-initialized the A-3000, and deleted it from CONNECT list! now I have 2 A-3000 in the list! on wich does'nt exist, and the other!

No infos about progress, no time remaining, etc.

Importing an album with several artists results as as many "same" album than the number of artists in it (super! very convinenient), and no way to change the properties of an album, or several tracks in the same time! no easy pick up with scrolling menus... hell!!!

Best of it: importing a jap cd is useless. Once the infos are brought by CDDB, they display correctly on the screen, then you import it, and then the album doesn't show the title, and put the cd in "unknown genre", and won't play any tracks! "there's an error while playing the track".

Let's not mention thestrange reactions, the neverending freezes before it moves again (for simple action like scrolling the track list), the list always recenters, etc etc etc.

Verdict; absolutely unusable. Did Howard Stinger use that piece of cap before letting his compagny selling? I'm sure he uses Itune and an Ipod! HAHAA

Today, the automatic update made me install the same update again... very strange. I really thought they came with a new revolutionary update...

But you know what? it would take weeks to list everything which is missed, and put a list of upgrades they have to do quickly...

I didn't even found a way to use the ratings from sonicstage. It doesn't seem to work. Why did they implement this in 3.3 if you can't even transfer it? strange.

I'll prey SONY gives us something else than a big bugged beta version for christmas...