Copying Library From Between Two Computers

Rate this topic

enriquez

Am I mistaken thinking that you can't transfer files between computers with a MD? If you can't, do you think it's possible to simply use Explorer to put the files and folders on your MD or other media and copy them to the library folder on computer 2, and then import the files in to the SS library on computer 2?

_Scott

I believe you can copy OpenMG files (*.omg, *.oma) from one PC to the other - SonicStage on the 2nd PC should play the files without a problem - but you won't be able to DO anything with the files - such as transferring them, copying them to disc, etc. It will only work on the PC that the files were originally ripped from.

But don't quote me on that... I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work at all...

I believe you can copy OpenMG files (*.omg, *.oma) from one PC to the other - SonicStage on the 2nd PC should play the files without a problem - but you won't be able to DO anything with the files - such as transferring them, copying them to disc, etc. It will only work on the PC that the files were originally ripped from.

But don't quote me on that... I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work at all...

Slightly off topic but you CAN copy the library to a second / third / whatever computer under certain situations --- to do it note the following

1) I don't have any "Purchased Music" so I don't have any copyright issues that DRM will screw up.

2) You need SS 3.0 or 3.1

3) You will need to be connected to the internet for a few seconds at "Restore"time.

4) Any existing music library on the 2nd computer will be wiped out so ensure the library you are copying has ALL your music in it before attempting a restore.

So what you do is :

1) use SS to backup your library to a removable drive, DVD, memory stick or whatever depending on the size -- a shared Network disk or a removable external HD is probably the best solution. -- Note that you DON'T LOSE anything on the original computer just beacuse you've done a backup.

2) Connect the removable disk or whatever and then start the SS restore program.

The Internet authentication will start --- as I don't have any purchased music the validation will always work.

3) repeat the restore on as many computers as you need.

Incidentally once you've got the library on your 2nd / 3rd computer you can still transfer to MD just as you could on the ist computer.

I think this method in any case would be quicker and more convienient.

Hope this helps

-K

Added -- in case you've got some of your own recordings I'm not sure if the method above will work-- I only have "ripped CD's" in my library but it should work.

If the validation fails on your own recordings then it's still easy to get round -- create a "Virtual CD" of your recording by using the DRIVE IMAGE feature of NERO and then rip the tracks back into your library before doing the backup.

-K

Edited by 1kyle