Error: Unable To Transfer The Track Or Tracks.

Rate this topic

cucnj

I've searched through a list of threads and have followed this instructions on a FAQ page (http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071). Unfortunately, I have had no luck what so ever.

When transfering music from hard drive to my NetMD (MZ-NE410) the transfer fails part way through. The following error messages appear:

"Unable to transfer the track or tracks."

It then lists the track(s) I had attempted to transfer.

"Device/media not connected"

I am currently running SonicStage version 3.1.00.03290 as was suggested in the FAQ page.

Any takers? -Chris

First off, thanks for taking the time to help me A440.

When I put in a recorded disc into MD and connect via USB I do see songs Under the MD unit. However, I am not able to transfer music to a blank without getting the previous error message.

I hadn't tried MDAC repair tool until now. I've downloaded it and I selected the "Pre-register the MDAC" button on both MDAC, and JET tabs. It did not fix the problem. Is there more to the MDAC repair tool than that?

Chris

Please don't get offended, but make sure the disc has the write protect tab closed. It has happened to me before.  blushing.gif

I'm not offended in the slightest. That was one of the first things I checked.

I read one of the admin's note that he has installed the software on seven different computers and he has had no problems. However, there appear to be a huge number of individuals that are having problems with the Sony Net MD Walkmans. I have to wonder if there isn't an inherent flaw in the product. Unless Sony has written off on Net MD Walkmans you would think there would be a fix.

When it works I really like the Sony Net MD walkman. Any help you ladies and gents can provide would be immensely appreciated!

Edited by cucnj

I'm not offended in the slightest. That was one of the first things I checked.

I read one of the admin's note that he has installed the software on seven different computers and he has had no problems. However, there appear to be a huge number of individuals that are having problems with the Sony Net MD Walkmans.  I have to wonder if there isn't an inherent flaw in the product. Unless Sony has written off on Net MD Walkmans you would think there would be a fix.

When it works I really like the Sony Net MD walkman. Any help you ladies and gents can provide would be immensely appreciated!

I am having the same problem regarding the error coming up. I have the Sony NW-E103 Model MP3 player.

I thought I might have gotten a lemon and brought it back but I am getting the same problem with the new one.

You mention the write protected, where do you check that?

Any help would be great.

I am having the same problem regarding the error coming up. I have the Sony NW-E103 Model MP3 player.

I thought I might have gotten a lemon and brought it back but I am getting the same problem with the new one.

Any help would be great.

Sorry I'm running Windows XP and SonicStage 3.1

At the lower left of the disc is a little slider that opens or closes a hole--just like on a cassette. When it's open you can't write to the disc. So make sure it didn't come open.

Cucnj, it seems wacky that you are getting "Device/Media not connected" when you can see the contents of the MD. Usually Sonic Stage throws that one at you because it's unable to detect the MD unit at all.

Are all tracks failing? Or just certain ones?

SonicStage has been known to choke on VBR mp3s--you may need to reconvert them to fixed bitrate mp3s. Using dbpoweramp (from Downloads) pick a fixed rate like 128 kbps or (better) 192.

SonicStage also gets nutty ideas sometimes that material is copy protected. I've had this happen with one track on an album of mp3s--SonicStage decides that it's not allowed to transfer that track. Reconverting the track can help.

Just out of curiosity, try Edit/Erase/Erase All on your blank disc and then try transferring again. Maybe SonicStage thinks the disc is improperly formatted.

• 1 year later...

At the lower left of the disc is a little slider that opens or closes a hole--just like on a cassette. When it's open you can't write to the disc. So make sure it didn't come open.

Cucnj, it seems wacky that you are getting "Device/Media not connected" when you can see the contents of the MD. Usually Sonic Stage throws that one at you because it's unable to detect the MD unit at all.

Are all tracks failing? Or just certain ones?

SonicStage has been known to choke on VBR mp3s--you may need to reconvert them to fixed bitrate mp3s. Using dbpoweramp (from Downloads) pick a fixed rate like 128 kbps or (better) 192.

SonicStage also gets nutty ideas sometimes that material is copy protected. I've had this happen with one track on an album of mp3s--SonicStage decides that it's not allowed to transfer that track. Reconverting the track can help.

Just out of curiosity, try Edit/Erase/Erase All on your blank disc and then try transferring again. Maybe SonicStage thinks the disc is improperly formatted.

i was having the exact same problem and all i had to do was change the battery. minidisc players dont use power through the usb cable when transeffing but from the battery which i think isn't the smartest thing but then again what smart things have sony ever done???

• 1 month later...

i was having the exact same problem and all i had to do was change the battery. minidisc players dont use power through the usb cable when transeffing but from the battery which i think isn't the smartest thing but then again what smart things have sony ever done???

Ya know, I'd been going nuts trying to figure this exact problem out with my NE410.

I had a crappy walgreens AA battery in there. I replaced it with one of those uber-for-your-electronics AAs, and the damn thing just started working!

• 12 years later...

I am having this problem same problem that cucnj described throughout the thread with MZ-NE410 on Windows 10 64-bits

tried many times with different encoding formats (VBR, CBR, WAV) and had no success at all, fail all tracks.

I will try to change the USB cable in question and batteries, but I doubt it will change anything.

btw, I notice SonicStage converts everything before transfer. What format does it convert tracks to?
Maybe having my files converted to the correct format before transfer could fix the issue.

NetMD requires good power independent of the USB. When there's no 3V power connector, you **must** have a fresh alkaline battery. Rechargeable battery will not be good enough.

You're right to think there may be another explanation. Check that the scratch area Sonic Stage uses to write files is permitted.

Here's a tip: the one format that will NOT need conversion is MDLP (actually LP2 and LP4, as well as the almost unknown LP3).

• 3 weeks later...

Have you checked to see if the write-protect slider is closed? If it's open, the disk will be write-protected.

In the alternative, if all your MD's have the slot closed (ie writeable) then maybe the sensor which reads the state of the write-protect notch is intermittent?