Napster And Hi-md

Rate this topic

BigTony

So much for the digital age - why oh why can I pay to download music to my PC and then not move it to mini disc like everything else (and back up to DVD)?

How can I convert those .wma files into something I can use with SS?

Rant ......

Thanks

BT

PS I know Tunebite will convert via the soundcard - but am I missing something obvious here

If you subscribe to that 14.99/month napster thing, then you may be out of luck concerning burning to anything, since the .wmas stop working if you don't keep your account up to date.

However, you may be able to transfer the tracks you paid .79 (or whatever) for to your HiMD player just as a wma, or if you burnt it to a CD then transfered it to MD through SS. That'd be my guess, unless you just analoged it through your sound card to your recorder.

As I see it there are two options for music: Buy the CD or download illegally. All of those buy-your-download services are stupid as hell. Until the kinks are worked out (or maybe until all the commercial music is owned by one nasty company) the legal downloads are more trouble than they're worth.

(My 2 cents)

... don't forget that Napster's subscription files are only 128 kbps (if you set it with DSL) or less if you have different connection (check it in "File/Options"), so you won't get good quality anyway.

Edited by physya

Napster? I don't use it anymore. I usually either get free downloads from souckclick or purevolume. but if I were to go with a download service outside of Connect, I would go with iTunes. Because:

1) No Monthly fee

2) Pepsi loves doing iTunes promos. free songs with 1 out of 3 sodas (if your gonna buy soda you might as well get something out of it).

3) Sometimes iTunes will have free downloads (hard to find but yes, they have them). Sweet. Free + Free = FREE!

4) It has a nice burnner that will write CD-RWs that make it easy to make and expand a mix as well as rip the tracks into SS and put on a nice lil' minidisc.

Last time I used Napster was on my 19th Birthday. I had a giftcard and forgot to cancel the free trial after getting my songs. My b-day pressent cost me $14.95 out of my pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Napster? I don't use it anymore. I usually either get free downloads from souckclick or purevolume. but if I were to go with a download service outside of Connect, I would go with iTunes. Because:

1) No Monthly fee

2) Pepsi loves doing iTunes promos. free songs with 1 out of 3 sodas (if your gonna buy soda you might as well get something out of it).

3) Sometimes iTunes will have free downloads (hard to find but yes, they have them). Sweet. Free + Free = FREE!

4) It has a nice burnner that will write CD-RWs that make it easy to make and expand a mix as well as rip the tracks into SS and put on a nice lil' minidisc.

Last time I used Napster was on my 19th Birthday. I had a giftcard and forgot to cancel the free trial after getting my songs. My b-day pressent cost me $14.95 out of my pocket.

128 wma isn't that bad. it is near cd quality.

i believe you are thinking of mp3 128 which sucks.

132 atrac is close to cd, while 256 atrac3plus i can barely notice a difference between the cd

-kkat

napster, itunes, connect etc etc make a mockery of music.. if i am downloading illegally using p2p, i can live with compression of even 96kbps for mp3. if i want to pay my hard earned money for music, i really want it uncompressed or maximuim in a lossless format.. no NEAR CD quality crap..

the world is moving to Hi definition in every area except audio technology.. people are content with crappy compression in audio while investing thousands of dollars in hDTV, progessive scan dvd players, bluray etc etc.. imagine a bluray HD video disc of matrix where the sound is encoded in WMA 128 kbps and they call it near cd quality..

when buying music, just go buy the cd..

I have spent years trying to find the non-rave Remix of Fools' Garden "Yellow Lemon Tree." No luck. The problem is that I can never get the CDs I want, and that's why I download compressed music. (Either Itunes, MMJB, or Allofmp3.com).

128 wma isn't that bad. it is near cd quality.

i believe you are thinking of mp3 128 which sucks.

132 atrac is close to cd, while 256 atrac3plus i can barely notice a difference between the cd

-kkat

Really??

Doesn't look like it.

user posted image

As you can see, wma is clearly inferior to Lame mp3 @ 128 kbps.

N.b. Lame has improved since that test, atrac3 has too and so have Vorbis and iTunes Aac but there hasn't been any new versions of wma since the test.