Sound Level/quality

Rate this topic

amelio747

Ok guys I went for a MZ-NH1 and MDR-EX71SLB headphones in the end! It was a good price and I do like it but... the new headphones made no difference apart from blocking out external noise and I think I prefer the sound on my Panasonic! Am I mad, can the volume go louder somehow, is the sound quality really not as good as you'd think...??? The sound just seem so... subdued! Please help, advice.

Ok guys I went fot a MZ-NH1 and MDR-EX71SLB headphones in the end! It was a good price and I do like it but... the new headphones made no difference apart from blocking out external noise and I think I prefer the sound on my Panasonic! Am I mad, can the volume go louder somehow, is the sound quality really not as good as you'd think...??? The sound just seem so... subdued! Please help, advice.

You have disabled the AVLS I assume? On the numerical scale of headphone volume levels it seems to max out at about 15, whereas the full available range is up to 30. The setting is under menu>option>avls.

HTH

The EX71's are very quiet earphones in any case I find, relative to other, more efficient headphones. I always had to turn the volume (on Sony portables) up to well over 20 with the EX71s to get a decent volume level, though you should find that tweaking (ie increasing) the custom EQ settings will help a awful lot.

Also with the EX71's, make sure you shove the buds right the way into your ear canals, and dont be afraid to experiment by tring out the different rubbery ear fittings...

I know it's a little off topic here. but please anyone of you (above "posters") tell me what should i expect from ex71s. I have a mznh900 and a pair of eggos 66. so i want to buy a pair of ex71s to use while walking (the eggos are too big) but i want a good sound quality. so should i choose ex71s or another model (aboyut the same price please)

thank you all

• 3 weeks later...

i doubt it's a problem with the nh1, since that's what i use

and i've used the over the ear b&o headphones, the ex71, the ex51, the v700dj, and the bose quietcomfort 2, with it and i have to say, the ex 71 and the ex 51 are the quietest by far, requiring a higher volume setting than even the v700dj. (i usually don't go above 20 on the v700dj, but i can go up to 25 and beyond with the ex51 without feeling like i'm destroying my ears.)

Sorry to hear EX-71's are quiet phones.

I give a pair to my dad for a present but I didn't really listened them and they broke after one(!) week of use. What a mistake for a present. sad.gif

I'm glad I bought pair of Panasonic RP-HJE50 phones recommended by many reviewers over the net (Head-fi for example). They are exactly like EX-71SLB but costs much less (I bought mine 25$ from Hong Kong) and produce better sound. I have NH1 and I listen them at volume 6-12 at home/work and 12-15 outdoors. Level 18 is absolutely max. This is nice since battery lasts longer.

I've been using these couple of weeks now and they really like long burn-in period. Now they really shine and I can almost compare them to my "work-horse" MDR-7506 studio monitors. Eq settings are set to flat except 100HZ is one step down and now they sound flat.

I also have MDR-888's (which are 5 years old) and these pana's beat them hands down.

Highly recommended! headphone.gif

btw

RP-HJE50's come with the carrying pouch which exactly like made for MZ-NH1!

....and sorry my ankward english.

Edited by L7R

Baaaaaad idea... all canal phones (earphones which go INTO your ears) suffer from microphonics issues to a certain degree. All you'll be hearing are your footsteps while you do your walking.

I may just wear soft-soled shoes, but I dont get this effect. I'd imagine the EX71s dont go deep enough?

I think the footsteps thing is exaggerating slightly. But the cord does carry vibrations, and anything that's adjacent to the cords or the phones--including chewing, the cords brushing against a jacket as you walk, etc.--gets amplified into your ears. With the Shure E3s, the cord goes up from earbud and tucks behind your ear so at least that part of the cord stays still, to lessen the effect.

• 4 weeks later...